The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2016, 08:17 AM   #26
TimSr

I'm starting to wonder how I survived 30 years of rifle loading without one. Apparently I don't need one.
Old February 17, 2016, 11:58 AM   #27
Tony Z

I didn't need one either for 20 plus years-ntil the tme a batch of losds wouldn't load!
Old February 17, 2016, 12:48 PM   #28
603Country

Like I said earlier, you don't need a case gauge. I have a couple of them (223 and 220 Swift), but the 223 one didn't help me when I needed help. I had my 223 rebarreled, so I went to work up loads to see what worked best in the new high dollar barrel. I had some new Lapua brass, so I might as well use that. Loaded up a few rounds, and they wouldn't chamber. Hmmm. Well, I have the 223 case gauge, and they dropped into it just fine. I was stumped. Took me a while to figure out what the heck the problem was, and I didn't figure it out till I called a neighbor and borrowed two factory rounds (I haven't shot a factory round in 30 years). The factory rounds chambered easily. More Hmmmm. Well, I thought, something about the reloads is the wrong size, so I measured everything I could measure. Turned out that the Lapua cases had relatively thick neck walls, and when a bullet was seated, the neck was too thick to fit into the super tight match chamber that I didn't request and didn't know I had in the new barrel. So I turned a zillion case necks. Later I had the chamber opened up a bit, and all is well now.

The case gauge was only good for a paperweight in that instance. If your chamber differs drastically from the case gauge, what's a case gauge gonna do for you? I don't plan to buy case gauges for any other rounds I reload for. They are relatively cheap though, so if it makes you feel better to own one, go for it, but its value is limited - in my opinion.
Old February 18, 2016, 10:13 PM   #29
hnusz

They both fit in the chambers i guess i am good to go. Will be a couple of weeks before i can get to the range busy at work.