The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2016, 02:19 PM   #26
9x45

Frags usually occur when shooting steel, it's just part of the game. Shoot long enough and you'll get a frag somewhere, sometime, that's why you never, ever, take your eyes off. I say that range has setup issues and insufficient back stops. But it's not just from jackets, I took a frag from a 40S&W moly coated lead bullet that went in 6mm deep. But switching to plain lead is even dumber. 99% of the lead you get is from breathing in the gun exhaust. Hi-Tek coated bullets don't lead, period. I switched from moly to Hi-Tek after my blood lead got to 25. In 4 months (about 6,000 rounds outdoor shooting USPSA competition, 6-8 times a month), it went down to 8, about the same as guys shooting full metal jackets. You still get 20% lead from the primer, lead styphnate. The way to get rid of that is to go with non heavy metal primers, which don't work all that well. If anyone shoots at an indoor range, the first thing you should do is get a baseline blood lead test. Also wear a particle mask and see how filthy it is after 50 rounds.

Old February 12, 2016, 05:41 PM   #27
briandg

I'm speechless.
Old February 12, 2016, 06:06 PM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

So much for your political career.

I've been hit by scattering fragments before, too. Don't recommend it, but it really does seem to be an occasional part of any close up work on steel. I've never been actually cut by it, but have seen other people show small cuts before. Nothing as dramatic as 9×45's, though.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 13, 2016, 07:42 AM   #29
rebs

I have a friend that put a steel gong against a tree and shot it with a 30-06. The bulet came right back at him and hit his fore arm going in pretty deep. He went to the hospital and they called the police because he was shot. They questioned him, luckily his friend was with him when it happened and he verified what happened to the police. He got stitches and went home.
Old February 13, 2016, 05:10 PM   #30
briandg

I took a nine mm Y lead round right next to me eye, but it was my own fault. I was shooting a a chert foundation, built a deep hole full of lead, and achieved one in. A million shots that re s bolted on a perfect elastic collision that returned within a two MOA angle of flight. It hit my cheek below my lenses.

Last edited by briandg; February 13, 2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old February 13, 2016, 06:09 PM   #31
rebs

wow you guys were very lucky and or the Lord was watching over you.
Old February 14, 2016, 12:19 PM   #32
David R

Just up at the range I shoot at.

Quite a few years ago, I had a 45 call 200 swc (665 fps) target load bounce back and hit a guy in the face. It left a strawberry on his ckeek. He was super mad at me. This was at the same range as above. He was a high up in the club. It was not good. He was standing two lanes to my left. I did not get formal punishment, but I got the stink eye for years.
David

Last edited by David R; February 14, 2016 at 12:24 PM.