The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2015, 04:40 PM   #1
zanemoseley

Hornady LNL tested out my RCBS lock out die today.

The Hornady LNL has impressed me over the first 1000 rounds or so I've put through it although I'm still learning the in's and out's of the machine.

Today I had my first unintentional lock up on my RCBS lock out die, it was due to a squib round, it the process of trying to figure out what was going on I actually double charged the round behind it. Once I figured out what was going on I dumped the cases out and started over. I couldn't figure out what was going on until it happened another time or two. The measure rotor was sticking in the up stroke and not dropping powder.

I followed all the cleaning and setup instructions but I guess the spray dry lube I used was wearing off and caused the metal to stick. I gave the rotor a few shots of dry lube but hung up my hat for the day, both I and the machine were making too many mistakes so I figured I'd quit while I was ahead.

In general what do you guys to avoid this from happening? Do you just shoot dry lube on the exposed section of the rotor just above the metering insert? Perhaps I should add that to my pre-load routinue.

One thing I'm not so thrilled about on the LNL is all the mild steel components, no plating or anything. I'm already starting to get a bit of surface rust on some components like the side of the rotor. I guess the dry lube doesn't do much for corrosion resistance. Not sure why they didn't plate all components.
Old April 3, 2015, 07:27 PM   #2
wild willy

Might not be the rotor.Mine did the same thing the the powder tube that screws into the bottom of the measure had worked loose and somehow it would bind.
Old April 3, 2015, 09:37 PM   #3
higgite

If the return spring couldn't overcome whatever bound up the powder measure, that sounds like more than a corrosion problem. More like one part snagged on another or something is way in a bind. Wild willy may have the answer in post #2.
Old April 3, 2015, 10:33 PM   #4
THEWELSHM

Sounds to me like you have the wrong metering insert in there. And it's dragging.