The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 18, 2014, 08:44 AM   #1
smee78

Ruger Single Six 32 H&R

Hi everyone,

I went shooting at a local range yesterday and when I was done I went looking at there used gun section. I saw a Ruger Birdshead Single Six in 32 H&R, now I know these are a little hard to find and I havent ever shot a 32cal gun but the little gun had me thinking, I liked the weight and feel of the gun and a little six shot whould be fun but I dont even reload for this caliber. Anyone have any info to share abot this gun or caliber? This example was the fixed sight model with the color case frame with 4 5/8 barrel. I cant think of any use for me but it is still a neat gun, anyone know the going cost on these? I looked on GB for what they have sold for and they seem to be in the $500-$600 range.

Thanks

Last edited by smee78; April 20, 2014 at 10:56 AM. Reason: added info
Old April 19, 2014, 02:24 PM   #2
PointOneSeven

I'd be a little hesitant to pick one up without a reloading plan in place. I just don't see the caliber making a massive resurgence, especially with the limited popularity of the .327 magnum that rolled out few years back.

Very cool platform though!
Old April 19, 2014, 06:05 PM   #3
SHR970

The 32 H&R round as loaded by the factory is a tad underwhelming as it was held to 20K psi in deference to the weak H&R revolvers they were originally chambered for. The factory ammo was at essentially 38 Special / 38+P power. Ammo in this caliber is also not usually found on dealers shelves when times are good. However, you can also drop 32 S&W long and 32 S&W rounds in the cylinder and go from there.

Hand loading the round makes this critter really wake up. When pushed up to where this round should have been in the first place, you can easily hit 9mm power levels and stay within the design limits of the Ruger SSM. Back in 1994 Ed Harris worked up some loads that were pressure tested and chrono'ed. Using W231 and a 100 gr. XTP he hit 1264 fps @ 40k psi. This load was sticky in his SSM and he stated that load should be backed down. You can find that info on line. Using AA#7 and 115 gr. cast I easily pass 1100 fps. and no extraction issues. The 32 makes a nice field gun, reasonably light weight with a fair amount of punch available.

If you elect to get it; you better plan on reloading though.
Old April 19, 2014, 06:15 PM   #4
BWM

test test
Old April 20, 2014, 08:03 AM   #5
Crunchy Frog

The fixed sight Single Six in .32 is sometimes known as the "Baby Vaquero". It still has a following among cowboy action shooters, especially as a ladies' or youth revolver (SASS minimum caliber is .32).

It would also make a good "trail gun". If you like it, give it a whirl. If it doesn't work out I bet you could resell it to a cowboy shooter.
Old April 20, 2014, 10:53 AM   #6
smee78

Thanks everyone for your imput, I have a friend that shoots this caliber and he likes it but I havent shot it yet, mabye I will need to take his out for a test drive before I make a decision I do reload so adding another caliber is not a big deal to me.
Old April 20, 2014, 07:53 PM   #7
PetahW

With .32 cal Single-Six's being very desireable, I'd be willing to wager it'll be long gone, if/when you go back for it.

That's one of the guns that should be bought on sight, then decided about keeping later.

Old April 21, 2014, 03:42 PM   #8
smee78

Well we will see about that, its been there for a few weeks already so if it goes I'm not to worried but I am interested.
Old April 21, 2014, 07:20 PM   #9
9ballbilly

My favorite field/trail gun is a single-six .32 mag. I don't know about the fixed sight vaquero model, but my earlier version with adjustable sights is a great shooter and they certainly seem to attract a fair amount of collector interest.
Old April 21, 2014, 09:11 PM   #10
Bob Wright

I had one of those with adjustable sights, back before the "reverse spin pawl" became available. Loading and emptying the gun became troublesome as the positioning of the chamber in the loading gate had to be very precise, or roll the cylinder for another try. This was the only objection I had to the gun.

I reloaded, so my ammunition did what I wanted to to do.

Bob Wright
Old April 22, 2014, 06:29 AM   #11
Gdawgs

If you reload, you should get it! 32's are fun to reload for. I have a 327, and it's quickly becoming one of my favorites.
Old April 22, 2014, 06:30 PM   #12
rodfac

Plus one on senor Bob Wright's comments regarding the PITA of loading and unloading without the pawl. That said, it's a fun little gun that's easy to carry and a breeze to load for. My version has the bird's head grip and non-adjustable sights...Getting it to shoot to the sights was a chore and resulted in my learning how to silver solder the front sight blade back on. It wasn't all that difficult, but getting a GOOOOOOD gunsmith to turn the barrel is a much better solution.

I've toyed with having mine redone by one of the custom gunsmiths...sights, a real case hardened finish on the frame, etc. but have put it off as other projects suggested themselves. I did however make up a pair of fancy grips for it.

I load LSWC's for it mainly, tho Hornady XTP's shoot very well indeed. The LSWC's are at least as accurate, and far cheaper than jacketed stuff...I cast 'em myself.

If you reload...it's a no brainer...get the gun tho $500-$600 sounds a little steep unless it's in pristine condition with all the accoutrements etc.

Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; April 22, 2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old April 25, 2014, 10:30 AM   #13
tulsamal

I have two. One of the early adjustable sight models. One of the shiny fixed sight models. Barely fired the fixed sight model but I've put thousands of my reloads through the old one. Don't think I've ever even owned any factory .32 Mag ammo.

In my case, I used that Single Six like a .22 woods/trail gun. Same size and weight... just more punch. And unlike a rimfire, I could carry reloads in a variety of flavors so it could be tailored to the situation.

I like the .32 Mag cartridge a lot. Totally easy to reload and can be taken up to a relatively high velocity.

Gregg
Old April 25, 2014, 06:43 PM   #14
gak

Most fun centerfire--or perhaps any--to shoot! I've had several if the early adjustables and fixed sight "Vaqueritos," starting with one of the first adjustable ones out of the chute in 1984. I'll be the odd one out here and say that "even" the milder (than potential handloads) factory rounds have a very decent pop - letting you and target know you're definitely not shooting a .22-anything. On the OP's find, be sure to check that if it has the odd short gripframe, unique to the .32 Single Six, that some (contrary to popular myth not all) Vaqueritos came with. I don't care for but some do. All mine are the standard full size XR3 Red grip shared among "regular" Single Six, and NM Blackhawk and original/large Vaquero. The short grip, essentially a cut-down (up?) XR3 Red, was presumably created for the aforementioned burgeoning woman and youth CAS market. If the gun us still there, get it and worry about ammo later! Wonderful gun and round. The short grip can be swapped out for a regular frame (or vice versa - but blasphemy )

The loading gate, cylinder chamber alignment issue mentioned is not unique to the .32! Surprised it was mentioned. Every regular/large framed NM (1973-on) Blackhawk and Vaquero "features" this. Only ca 2005 and later mid-frames, aka "Anniversary" .357 or New Vaquero frame, had the "new" reverse indexing pawl, aligning the chambers and loading gate "like Colts." Otherwise as stated, install of a free spin pawl (some like, some don't) which eliminates any stops, solves the issue.
Old April 25, 2014, 07:08 PM   #15
smee78

This one has the birdshead grip frame, I think I will go back and chek it out again.......
Old April 25, 2014, 07:09 PM   #16
bedbugbilly

I'd love to run across one of these at a good price. I cast my own and reload and this seems like a fun revolver to play with. It offers the choice of reloading for the H & R cartridge as well as the 32 S & W Short & Long. It's a straight walled pistol cartridge so shouldn't be any harder than loading 38 spl. - the plus is your lead will go further when casting.

I like the idea of a pistol that offers such options. I load and shoot a lot of 38 spl and am now playing with 38 Colt Short & Long . . . basically the same concept as what the 32 H & R would offer.

Any one I've ever talked with that has had one of the Ruger SS in 32 H & R has loved 'em! I keep looking and will some day run across one - it's definitely on my "want list". I'd say go for it and have fun!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 25, 2014, 07:52 PM   #17
gak

I should have added that I have a few of the birdsheads as well - love em. The grip was an acquired taste for me, but now I'm 50/50 with the regular plowhandle, depending on mood of the day.
Old April 25, 2014, 09:20 PM   #18
Bultaco

I own a single six magnum in .32 and it is a great gun to introduce new shooters to handguns. I had a trigger job on mine and it is really easy to hit with. My wife says it's hers now. The 100 grain swaged swc & 90 grain hbwc are cheap very accurate. I have no interest in loading it hot. I tried it and it just developed a sharp report. If I want to make a bunch of noise I will do it with a larger diameter bullet.
Old April 26, 2014, 01:35 AM   #19
Cosmodragoon

I've got a nice, heavy, 4" SP101 in this caliber. It is very comfortable to shoot and it's great to have the SP101 in a six-shooter. It is one of those guns that I carry just because I like it. (Yes, it is enough gun for most defensive purposes outside of large aggressive wildlife.) The DA trigger could be a little nicer but you won't be having that problem.
Old April 28, 2014, 01:18 PM   #20
sandbag

Orphan Caliber

I'd avoid a revolver chambered in 32 H&R.The ammo has been edged out by the 327 Federal Magnum,which can shoot 32 H&R as a subload-I have the SP 101 in 327 and I've noticed 32 H&R ammo is very hard to come by these days.
Old April 28, 2014, 03:54 PM   #21
smee78

From what I have read the 327 is dead, I will admit that the 32H&R ammo is not on every shelf but I reload so if I do decide to get this gun I can roll my own. I have also heard that some people have reamed out these guns to accept the 327 rounds so.... I did call them today and it is still there, I think I will swing by in the next few days and check it out again.
Old April 28, 2014, 04:01 PM   #22
Magnum Wheel Man

top pair in this pic are Single Sixes in 32 H&R magnum... they are highly prized by the CAS gamers... I like my 45's better ( 3rd pair down ), & the 2nd set down are the ones MRS uses in 38 / 357... the 32 mag has a great potential for accuracy, though I think "most" of the Single Sixes are fixed sight guns like mine...

BTW...I also have an Air Light J Frame in 6 shot 32 H&R Magnum ( I like it, as it has an extra cartridge over the 38's )

BTW #2...Midway has brass albeit nickel cases but they have 32 Mag cases in stock...

I honestly haven't messed with loading for this one much... I have some soft lead hollow based wadcutters I started playing with for target accuracy, but got side tracked by another cartridge before I got where I was going with that one

Old April 28, 2014, 04:39 PM   #23
smee78

Magnum Wheel Man, that is an awsome collection and a great way to hold/show them. I am thinking about picking up this one but I really hate to add a new addition/caliber but ..... I also have seen these guns with S&W J frame sights added to them. Has anyone done something like this? I know Alan Harton has done this before, I have seen a few pictures on Google.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger2.jpg (25.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Single Six 38 special by Alan Harton.jpg (62.1 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by smee78; April 28, 2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old April 28, 2014, 06:49 PM   #24
rclark

I been toying with the idea of picking up a .32 H&R Single Six if I ever run into one. I reload and all the components are readily available, so that wouldn't be a problem. In fact that is the whole reason of me thinking about it.... As a .22 reloadable replacement . Load 'em up to .22 Velocities (who needs .327 velocities when there is the .357) with a light bullet and have a cheap shooting cartridge without having to rely on manufactures of the allusive hard to find .22LR cartridge.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old April 29, 2014, 09:35 AM   #25
smee78

Rclark, thats a good point. Havent thought about that.