The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 23, 2008, 09:20 PM   #1
Johnywinslow

EAA bountyhunter range report

The good bad and the ugly of the bountyhunter .357 4 1/2 in. I love the fit and finish of this single action, it is heavy and stout, the action was a little tight but after 200 rds and several cleanings it is smoth and crisp. the trigger is a bit too heavy but next to no crawl. at 25 ft off hand groups were consistant but a approx 3 inches low. I bought this nice little revolver on monday and now 6 days and 500 rds (mostly winchester .38 spcl ) latter The cylender froze up... upon disasembly I discovered a break on the tinny piece of metal that pulls the cylender stop down upon half cock. I have no idea what it will cost to repair but I assue it shouldnt be too bad. overall this is a classic " spagetti western" gun, I would give it 4 out of 5 if not for the break. bottom line is I like it enough to pay to fix it. That said if i had to do it agin i woulod have gotton the Blackhawk. but if you are on a budget and dont plan to shoot 500 rds in a week It is a decent .357 mag for under 350.00 .
Old April 2, 2008, 10:20 AM   #2
Mark Milton

Sounds like the bolt workings....

The bolt area is fragile on most traditional single actions by the way, including Colts and Ubertis, etc....

Elmer Keith mentions this in his book Sixguns and how to modify the bolt area to improve function and longevity.