The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 14, 2011, 12:16 AM   #26
ftballgod

thanks for your help (most of you) i am not looking to buy a whole new wardrobe. i like inside the waist band holsters. i think they are the easiest to hide for me. i tried on a few. i think i am going to go with the galco tuk and go with my new ruger lcr. i have room in my pants to make it fit. and who knows, in the future i might play around with some other rigs.
Old July 14, 2011, 11:27 AM   #27
Viper225

In colder weather I normally carry my 638 in an inside coat, jacket, or vest pocket. This is because I might need to remove my cover garmet.

For belt carry a good belt & holster are the most important issue. I wear the same belts every day. I have Brown & Black belts made my a local saddle maker.

I have several nylon fishing shirts I wear as cover garments.

I have 4 primary carry guns. I carry a 4" 64 a great deal for general purpose carry. Snakes, and what ever else needs a good shootin. I carry in a Bianchi Pancake most of the time I want it out of sight. I also carry it in an old Safariland open top. I will probably get a Lobo Model 1 for it shortly.

I belt carry my 638 part of the time. It carry it in a Lobo Model 1 Pancake with inner hammer shield.

I belt carry my 625-3 in 3" in a Lobo Model 1 Pancake again with inner hammer shield.

My 1911 Colt I carry inside the waist band, as well as in a Rafter S version of an Askins Avenger in Black Shark. I used to open carry quite a bit when I was in Law Enforcement.

You will need to tailor your wardrobe a little around keeping your gun out of sight. I am an old retired guy. I wear a nylon fishing shirts over a tee shirt, and an old Booney hat almost every day. I have had my Wrangler Blue Jean jackets reworked with inside pockets for my 638 and a couple speed strips. I had another pocket for handcuffs added also. It will also carry my cel phone, or a writing tablet and pen.

I would have no issue carrying a 19 snub. Lobo makes an inside the waist band holster also. I would still get a Model 1 Pancake for it myself to go along with the inside the waist band one. Once you start to carry you will get more comfortable with it.

Bob
Old July 19, 2011, 12:20 PM   #28
macdefense

I am also big, and I either carry my Sig P290 in a pocket holster or, most often, in my smartcarry. The smartcarry seems wrong, but it is very comfortable and my gun is completely concealed. When you're big and have some belly overhang, the smartcarry works even better for you. It even allows me to carry an extra magazine.
Old July 19, 2011, 10:02 PM   #29
carprivershooter

in the waste ban

I am a short guy built like a pear with legs. I carry either a 1911 or S&W model 60 3in barrel I carry them in Crossbreed holsters.
Old July 20, 2011, 08:18 AM   #30
loose_holster_dan

6'6" 275

FANTASTIC FOR A BIG DUDE

I love these. Tried tons of custom fit leather. None as nice for discreet carry as this.
http://pistolwear.com/corp.htm

Make sure you get the left hand version if you plan on carrying the trump card holster on your back (if you're right handed). i have one of each of their holsters. trump card is my favorite. i have a 42" waist and the standard size doesn't have a whole lot of room left on it. if you are bigger than 44" i'd ask if they can do a bigger one for you.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old July 20, 2011, 09:19 AM   #31
P97

I'm 6'2" and weigh 240lbs. What has worked everyday, for over 5 years for me is a Ruger P90DC, carried in a Milt Sparks VM2HS Holster, and a good wide Amish Leather Belt. Most of the time, I'm not even aware of having it on. Find the gun you can shoot best, and like best, then just carry it.
Old July 21, 2011, 08:54 PM   #32
WolfMacabre

I'm still working on how to carry. I have a Rossi .38 special with a 2inch barrel that I carry (revolver) and i use a pocket holster and so far have only found 1 pair of shorts where I have an issue with it sticking out. It's a small frame revolver.

I just got a S&W sw9f last week and am trying to figure out how I would want to carry that. I'm considering just going to a gun shop (or a few) and ask if I can try on some holsters with my gun in them. I haven't tried this yet, but I imagine they would be okay with it since it might help them get a sale. Might want it unloaded first for safety reasons though.

I think your best bet is just to try multiple carry options and see what you like best. 50 people could like one holster/gun/carry method but it then wouldn't work for you. At least if you try multiple options you can get a feel for what's comfortable for you and your lifestyle, and also be able to make sure you can easily remove the gun from the holster should the need arise.

Tags
carrying , holster