The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 6, 1999, 07:32 AM   #1
The Ripper Man

I ordered a Benelli M3 Super 90 and am hoping it will arrive today. I was told that this particular gun was an older one from back when HK had something to do with Benelli, the dealer told me that this stopped something like 2 or more years ago. I was wondering if the current production M3 Super 90 is any different than this one I have coming. It will be my first Benelli and I know nothing about them. The dealer told me that Benelli didn't make any changes other than they no longer say HK on them.
Old May 6, 1999, 09:42 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Ripperman:
I am not so sure if your dealer is correct or not in stating, the Super M3 90 is an older gun. My records indicate a Benelli Super 90 model. This date back to 1985.

I can not find the Super 90 M3. Only the M1 super 90 is recorded at this time. This could be possible due to the published date of my records. I do have records for 1999, however I have encountered the same situation, only the M1 super 90 is listed, along with several veriations of the same shotgun.

This would indicate to me that the M3 may be newer than expected. I have checked H&K back to 1985 and could not identify the M3

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited May 06, 1999).]
Old May 6, 1999, 10:39 AM   #3
The Ripper Man

Thanks for the quick reply, I do know that Benelli makes several variants of this piece. My understanding of them is that the M1 is a semi auto while the M3 is a semi auto/pump combination. I have seen them listed as an M1 then shown as an M3 when you get into options. Not sure when they first started making them, I saw my first one several years ago and have just now got enough money put together to get one. Plus I found this guy that had them on "closeout". I guess I didn't clarify what he meant by calling it an older one. He said that this is one of the last ones they have in stock from when it was "Benelli HK" and they have had it for about 2 years. He says now it's just Benelli that makes them but that it's the same gun.
Old May 6, 1999, 11:29 AM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Ripperman:
Thanks for the information. As you indicated in your e-mail Beretta is now the importer and I will update my information to coincide. It would appear that your information is more recent than mine.

HJN
Old May 6, 1999, 01:14 PM   #5
Rob Pincus

The M3 is the Auto / Pump version of the M1.. it is not usually included in list of "sporting" shotguns, it is more of an LE/Military designed weapon.

Your gun will have marks on it indicating HKs involvement, but Benneli is currently a stand alone company, though it is owned by Beretta.

They have their own distribution, manufacturing, sales and service operations.

I have owned a Super 90 since 1995, they are incredibly reliable, you should be very happy.
Old May 6, 1999, 08:13 PM   #6
olegunftr

Beretta handles Benelli scatter guns. Have a couple of nice benelli pistols. Hans Vang worked over my Super 90 M1. Actually I like my 121s better.

------------------
Vinny
Old May 8, 1999, 10:42 PM   #7
RCH

The Benelli Super90 M3 had been listed/ shown in the HK law enforcement catalog for 4-5 years. I purchased mine (with the "evil" pistol grip, extended magazine, and ghost ring sights) in 1997. A lot of fun to shoot and gets alot of attention on the range. Has to be the Ferarri of shotguns! It is a great semiauto and is more practical then a SPAS-12 (bulky, heavy, akward beast). Some people mistakenly believe that it can be regularly used either as a pump or a semi. Benelli literature states that it's primary role is a semi-auto shotgun. The pump action was incorporated to handle low impluse rounds- rubber buckshot, teargas, etc...that would not cycle the semi-auto action reliably. I shoot the "tactical" 00 buckshot rounds out of mine with no malfunctions in the semi-auto mode.

www.securityarms.com has some photos of the M1 and M3 variants. Some of the photos are mislabled/switched. Look closely at the forearm- the M3 has the forearm that is similiar to a pump shotgun.

I am sad to see that HK no longer imports the Benelli line. The new shotguns imported by HK looks rather cheesey! Anyone tested these guns?

[This message has been edited by RCH (edited May 08, 1999).]
Old June 29, 1999, 03:40 PM   #8
BigG

Harley and folks,

When I was buying a scattergun to replace my 870, I settled on the Beretta 1201FP after checking out it and the Benelli (with the 'evil' pistol grip). Are these the same guns, other than cosmetically? Kinda like a
Ford and a Mercury, if you will?

The difference in price for what appeared to be same--same may have been the determining factor... TIA

------------------
Yankee Doodle

Old June 30, 1999, 03:43 AM   #9
Daniel Watters

Beretta has owned portions of many of its rival gun companies: FN, Benelli, Franchi, etc. When GIAT put FN on the market, it decided to buy out Beretta's interest in FN (I've heard 25%) in order to make the deal less complicated. It would appear that Beretta used this windfall to finally buy out Benelli.

As for the Beretta 1201FP3/Benelli M1 Super 90 connection, my understanding is that Benelli provides the bolts and certain other parts for the 1201 while Beretta constructs the rest. The contour of the 1201's receiver and barrel vary from the Benelli slightly, so aftermarket Benelli parts like the Sidesaddle will take a bit of fitting. The Laser Products flashlight forearm is reportedly a poor fit as well. Aftermarket bolt handles fit as would be expected. The 1201's magazine tube cannot be extended, but all but current production models have a 6rd magazine already. I'd like to try the new extended safeties on the market, but I haven't gotten around to it.
Old July 3, 1999, 11:01 PM   #10
TLH

We have two of the Beneli M-90's. It is the fastest action on a shotgun I've ever encountered. As a personal defense weapon it's probably unbeatable. I did experience some loss of reliability when the sure-fire light mount forend was installed. With high base rounds it isn't a problem but they started baulking with field loads.

Consider # 1 buck, for your use. 00 Buck is .33 caliber. # 1 is .30. 12 pellet mag load with 00 buck, 20 pellet magnum load in # 1.

# 1 is harder to find but I think well worth the effort.