The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old February 15, 2000, 08:45 PM   #1
Hard Ball

Reading the varios threads flowing from "Black Hawk Down", Green tip m16 ammunition etc it seems to me that many members are interested in military weapons and national defence while others are not. TFL has some members who are very knowlegeable in these ares. I have learned a number of things in these discussions that I didn't know previously and found very interesting.

A forum on these subjects would appeal to many members and those members who are not interetsed could pass it up.
Old February 15, 2000, 09:11 PM   #2
Bud Helms

Make that a vote of two.
Old February 15, 2000, 09:46 PM   #3
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Bring us a bona fide, qualified Moderator and we'll take it into consideration. Specific, high level credentials are required.

We're not about to slit our own throats, credibilty-wise, with a forum that turns into "The Conspiracy Theorist's Den".
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited February 15, 2000).]
Old February 15, 2000, 10:59 PM   #4
Bud Helms

Seems like a reasonable answer. The search is on.

Hardball, a Military Weapons Forum? Note the absence of Nat'l Defense Policy.

Would it turn into an AR Forum?
Old February 16, 2000, 03:33 AM   #5
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Those military topics are easily defined as subjects of other forums.
Unless we could get General Schwartzkof in here...
Old February 16, 2000, 12:04 PM   #6
Hard Ball

Sensop
I noticed that. It's probably the work of the great right wing conspiracy!
Old February 17, 2000, 02:55 PM   #7
RWK

Rich,

I would be glad to help, if you decide to establish this forum. Please note, however, that while I have lots of military weapons systems expertise (30+ years), it is highly focused on tactical aircraft and their systems, sensors, and ordnance/weapons -- not on land-warfare systems nor smaller arms (155mm and down).

Warm regards - Roy
Old February 17, 2000, 03:06 PM   #8
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Thanks much, Roy. Fact of the matter is we had contact from a qualified individual 10 minutes after this thread appeared and are currently reviewing whether such topic would be additive or duplicative vis a vis George's comment.

I'm interested in seeing what further comments and suggestions we get over the course of next week. We will certainly keep you in mind and appreciate the offer of help.
Rich
Old February 18, 2000, 01:11 AM   #9
Jeff White

Rich,
I don't think we've gone anywhere near conspiracys in the green tip ammo and Blackhawk Down threads. Mostly technical stuff that I've had to watch about posting Army-speak in.

I'd be glad to help. 25 years Army experience. 11B40 and 13B40 (Infantry and Artillery)
Jeff
Old February 18, 2000, 02:32 AM   #10
Ivanhoe

I'm for it. while mil-issue trucks may quality as "gear" or "general discussion", there may well be enough volume to justify its own folder.

and I don't see why people call me a "conspiracy theorist" just because I maintain that Elvis shot JFK at Area 51...

Old February 18, 2000, 09:07 AM   #11
mcshot

I'm all for it. My tour ran from 1968-72 and I'm still interested is such topics although I couldn't wait to get out.

------------------
"Keep shootin till they quit floppin"
The Wife 2/2000
Old February 18, 2000, 12:49 PM   #12
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Highly interested in MWF. Conspiracy theories unwelcome. I expect reports of new weapons in development to be backed by reasonable documentation.

To my mind, items such as the new Soviet rifle, FN military-only offerings such as P90, and a host of other subjects can be included amongst other discussions, but can reasonably be granted their own place.
Some of us are most interested in these types of offerings, anyway, and I see this as savings us all considerable time, while a large percentage of the site population is probably uninterested in tightly controlled weapons, anyway...

Old February 21, 2000, 03:06 PM   #13
EchoFiveMike

I'm all for it. Would be a good place to talk shop and also let civilians in on some of our problems/advantages/moans/groans/complaints. I think a well eduacated public would like to know where all their tax dollars go(or don't go, such as is the case nowadays)Also a lot of the mil stuff winds up as surplus sooner or later.(Even under Klinton) Semper Fi...Ken M