The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 8, 2014, 07:43 PM   #1
004lazer

Mosin Nagant Sporterized Project

Hello all,
I am new to this forum and wondering if I could get some opinions on a project I have in mind, a sanity check if you prefer! First off, I decided on a Mosin to sporterize because they are cheap, plentiful, and surplus ammo for plinking is really inexpensive. I wanted a rifle that I could go out and plink with for cheap, as well as a rifle I can work up handloads to do some precision shooting. I also want to be able to deer hunt and possible elk hunt with it (fingers crossed!). I understand that there are plenty of nice modern rifles on the market, but I want something that will look nice with a nice walnut stock and a good trigger thats under $700, plus I enjoy having a project rifle to work on in the winter months. I am planning on buying an old '42 91/30 for $125, replacing the trigger with a timney, cutting the barrel down, adding a Jmecks scope mount and a scope, using the ATI bolt on bent bolt handle, and putting a nice walnut Boyds classic stock on. These old rifles wont really go up in price and I feel that with the millions of them that are out there, me turning one into a nice sporter will only improve the enjoyment I get out of the rifle, and not just be "butchering" a piece of history. So to summarize, I want to modify a Mosin because: cheap ammo for plinking, cheap-ish handloading for accurate target shooting, capable hunting cartridge, and I can make a beautiful sporter custom made for me for a reasonable price ($650 or so).
Thanks,
-Lazer
Old August 8, 2014, 08:11 PM   #2
Mosin-Marauder

Just make sure the bore and the crown is good before you sporterize anything.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 8, 2014, 08:15 PM   #3
004lazer

Thanks Marauder, the one I'm looking at is counter bored but the rifling is in good shape. Since I'm planning on cutting it down and re-crowning, its no big deal though.
Old August 8, 2014, 08:17 PM   #4
Mosin-Marauder

I think i moght have gotten a bad rifle, mine doesnt shoot anywhere near as well as I want it too. I'll have to take it out to 100 yards again sometime soon and see where it's hitting. I wish you luck in your sporterizing endeavor. Also, do you have plans for the original stock?
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 8, 2014, 08:19 PM   #5
004lazer

Probably will sit in my parts bin for a backup if I buy another one. Have you checked the crown on yours? That seems to be the biggest problem usually, that and your gun might not like the ammo you're using.
Old August 8, 2014, 08:26 PM   #6
Mosin-Marauder

Mine is counter bored. So I dont *think* it's the crown. There's some frost towards the chamber end but the lands and grooves are strong, so i don't think that would affect accuracy. I might have to get a borelight and look at the crown though. Also, the ammo I WAS using was 186.6 grain Yugo stuff (which is too Heavy) so I'm pretty sure that's why it wasn't hitting paper at 100 yards. I plan to take it out with some of the lighter surplus stuff I bought recently anf get it on a proper rest. Might do some experimenting with relieving some o0f the pressure off the bore after I establish a baseline. If you ever need any help with your Mosin, feel free to shoot me a PM, I'm by no means an expert, but I know my a bit.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 8, 2014, 08:27 PM   #7
skizzums

consider what kind of shooter you are expecting first, I have shot many a decked out nagants and outside of getting a match barrel, they aren't going to be as accurate as you think, despite the alterations. for 650$ you could just buy a beautiful, already accurate piece, like a k31 or a .30-40 Krag(maybe a little more $$). if you are dead-set on a nagant, I have no problems, but understand the limitations. I love nagants, but for what they are. Instead of chopping the barrel, why not just get a carbine and get a good crowning on it.

if you want it really accurate, this is what you will need, and lots of expensive hard to find ammo
http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/mosin.htm

I have a finnish nagat that I can keep a under 4" at 100yds with surplus. I would recommend starting with a finnish if you desire any sort of accuracy, they don't cost terribly more $$ than a standard 91/30, but then you would be chopping up a piece of history.

sorry, im rambling, so ill just ask, what kind of accuracy are you expecting to get?
Old August 8, 2014, 08:29 PM   #8
Mosin-Marauder

Skizzums is correct. Swissproducts.com (great guys) make a clamp on scope mount and bi pod adapter that make no alterations to the K-31. K-31's are brilliantly accurate surplus rifles.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 8, 2014, 08:34 PM   #9
004lazer

With handloads and a nice trigger and scope I was expecting around 1.5 MOA, I have a buddy who can make .75 MOA shots with his all day long. Is that outside reason?
Old August 8, 2014, 08:55 PM   #10
Mosin-Marauder

In all honesty, I don't see that happening with a 91/30 Maybe with a Finn or a Good bored 91. They weren't exactly built to great tolerances. As long as it would hit a man at 300 yards it was good for combat. I could see 2-3 MOA with what you've listed. But I really can't see your friend's 91/30 shooting sub MOA
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 8, 2014, 09:56 PM   #11
004lazer

I did a little bit of googling just now and would love an opinion on this too, is this guy full of crap, or is that a possibility? http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/02/05...orming-legend/
Old August 8, 2014, 10:14 PM   #12
Mosin-Marauder

Quote:
I did a little bit of googling just now and would love an opinion on this too, is this guy full of crap, or is that a possibility? http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/02/05...orming-legend/
Approximate Total: $1047.98
For that price, He's seat, tank, and sewer.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 8, 2014, 10:25 PM   #13
skizzums

I will not go as far to say he's full of it, with a benchrest stock, timney, crowned barrel and a pricey scope, pillars and bedding......1000$

so he spent a grand to get 1 1/2"groups. sounds pretty reasonable I guess, but I think the condition will change depending on the luck rifle you grab. like I said, I am not against it, but this is a huge project, and you can read thousands of posts of people spending years sporterizing their nagants and not getting results like his. if you have a particular love for the Nagant, then go for it, but in the end it will depend a lot on the tolerances and the condition of YOUR particular nagant. There is a guy here in Georgia that is a nagant fanatic, has a very popular youtube channel with all the useful upgrades and results afterwards, check out his vids to see what your getting into.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Iraqveteran8888

I would just buy a nagant, shorten and polish the trigger, glass and pillar it, and be happy with a cheap decent shooting rifle. but buy another gun for accuracy. but that's just me, when I bought my FIRST nagant, I was also chasing the tiny group dream, but it dawned on me how daunting the task is when so many easier cheaper options are out there. plus, I don't wanna be spending 1-2$ per bullet on a rifle that I can get a SPAM can for a hundred bucks. and you will never get surplus to shoot consistently, and don't think handloading is a whole lot cheaper for it either.

I have a feeling that once you get your nagant, you will have lots of fun with it and your dreams of grandeur will melt away much like mine did. I still have a love for the rifle, but "it is what it is", and I am plenty happy with that. its a cheap rifle, heavy but built like a rock, that shoots very highpowered ammunition for an insanely cheap price, accurately enough to have a great time with.

p.s. im on my 4th nagant in 2 years, so I am not a hater. with simple upgrades you can them to shoot plenty good for hunting
Old August 8, 2014, 10:28 PM   #14
Mosin-Marauder

Edit, nevermind, found the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RlsxqR_keM
William Tecumseh Sherman

Last edited by Mosin-Marauder; August 8, 2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old August 8, 2014, 10:39 PM   #15
gyvel

I can understand your desire to create something by yourself, but, unfortunately, you are dealing with "the law of diminishing returns." There are far better rifles out there that aren't all that expensive that you could really create something special for yourself.

Even with a Boyd's stock, you still have an ungainly ugly duckling with a protruding box magazine and a relatively unsophisticated action, even with a turned down bolt.

Quite frankly, for the $700.00 figure you mentioned, for not much more you could have a finely made first-class sporting rifle from CZ, for example.

However, if you are hell-bent on doing a Mosin, look around for a Polish 1944; They are generally in near mint condition, made to much tighter specs than the Russian reworks, and exhibit first-class workmanship as well.
SIFE

Last edited by gyvel; August 9, 2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old August 8, 2014, 10:44 PM   #16
skizzums

if you want a cool looking nagant, and want something different, grab the archangel stock with the detachable mag. 150$ and 100% reversible. throw scope and whammo, "sniper" rifle for pennies on the dollar, without the performance of course, but at least you'll have the look down

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/STKMOI03.aspx
Old August 8, 2014, 10:47 PM   #17
James K
Member In Memoriam

For $700, you can buy any number of lightly used modern sporters (some with scopes) and even some new ones. But then you wouldn't have the fun of doing a project and saving so much money.

Jim
Old August 9, 2014, 12:15 AM   #18
gyvel

Quote:
For $700, you can buy any number of lightly used modern sporters (some with scopes) and even some new ones. But then you wouldn't have the fun of doing a project and saving so much money.
LOL!!!!

Isn't building your own sporter something like owning a boat?
SIFE
Old August 9, 2014, 09:06 PM   #19
004lazer

Thanks all, I am really glad I decided to post and get some outside opinions. I think I will try to find an old beater .308 and fix it up. A Rem 700 maybe? I can't stand synthetic stocks, so I guess I will still be giving Boyds a call. Pawn shops and gun shows are probably my best bet, If you have any advice I'd love to hear it.
Old August 10, 2014, 09:17 AM   #20
hvymax

Try a Savage or maybe a K31. For your project get a Brownells dovetail kit and install an express sight and get a barrel band sling mount and front sight to braze on. After WW 2 many mausers were made into Africa hunters this way. Add a QD scope mount for elk season if you need long shots. The Savage has a lot more options such as a switch barrel setup as well.
Old August 10, 2014, 11:36 PM   #21
kilimanjaro

The wartime Mosins are not the best in finish and fit. Better to find a pre-war example with matching bolt and start from there.

The Finnish ones are the best.

I'd still prefer a good sportered Mauser, Springfield, or Enfield to work with.
Old August 11, 2014, 07:42 PM   #22
tobnpr

Quote:
But then you wouldn't have the fun of doing a project and saving so much money.
^^ This.

Don't believe those that say these rifles can't shoot- they can. No different than any other rifle- you need to have a good bore to build from, or you're wasting your time.

One of mine is a typical '43 Izhvesk, re-arsenaled (I prefer these for "shooters"- I've seen some that look like they were re-barreled before being socked away) and I have no problem with a 12" plate at 600 yards with handloads.

However, don't judge your results from the milsurp ammo. While some guys have reported better results, don't expect better than 2-3 m.o.a from it. The only way to critique the inherent accuracy of any weapon is with match-grade ammunition.

22" seems to be the "magic" number for barrel length, based on my own experience and that of many customers. I use a PTG 11 degree crowning tool, does an awesome job.

Yes, you need a Timney trigger- but you'd need to upgrade to an aftermarket trigger with "anyone's" bolt gun.

Stocks are a matter of preference of taste, utility and ergonomics. Whatever you choose, install pillars and epoxy bed the receiver and recoil block. Jeff's mount is a good choice if you don't want to drill and tap the receiver, or use a pistol (LER) scope.

Good luck with the project, let us know how it goes.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old August 12, 2014, 01:36 AM   #23
Clark

I have sporterized enough Mosin Nagants over the last 14 years.
I hunt with a guy who has been doing it for 50 years.
I have been sporterizing Mausers for 49 years.

It never pays. You have to want to do it. When I work on a Rem 700 now, it feels like I am sporterizing that rifle too.

But I am done with military ammo. I just shoot the best handloads I can make.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?

Tags
elk hunting , long range shooting , mosin nagant , sporterize