The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 17, 2013, 12:38 PM   #26
Louca

Over on the shotgunworld forum, it seems they are somewhat tolerant of the use of "shottie", but there was a post there back in 2006 about just this subject. (http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...=72079&start=0) Feelings there were basically the same as the OP's.

It comes down to common vernacular. "Pic" and "gators" are common vernacular; "shottie" is not (yet).

Lou
Old September 17, 2013, 12:41 PM   #27
Dreaming100Straight

Ouch! It seems I touched a common nerve.
Old September 17, 2013, 01:14 PM   #28
shortwave

Quote:
Is "prolly" a word?
Naaaw(caution...redneck slang)!
But it seemed to fit in the sentence with the rest of the slang.

Quote:
I'm guessing "prolly" equates to "probably"?
Yep... you guessed it.

Quote:
It comes down to common vernacular. "Pic" and "gators" are common vernacular; "shottie" is not (yet).
Aw...don't know about that either? Been hearin the word "shottie" off-n-on for pert near 45yrs. now. Actually long before seein or hearin "Pic."

FWIW:
Been hearin 'gator' since I was knee high to a butterfly.

Last edited by shortwave; September 17, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old September 17, 2013, 01:56 PM   #29
Double Naught Spy

Right, "shottie" is common vernacular in the US gun world.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...hp?f=7&t=35051

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=40368

And of course it was first used here back in 1999...
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...hlight=shottie
Old September 17, 2013, 02:00 PM   #30
NWPilgrim

Amen, brother!

I prolly first saw "shotty" on my 'puter a few years ago.

Words such as these make me gag. They sound like kindergarten slang. Nobody in the COMPUTER industry calls them 'puters, except in Tom Clancy novels. Lots of obscene and foul names but not that cutesy one.

Same with "shotty." I grew up with firearms and hunting pheasants and ducks and never heard that term used except by newbies on gun forums. "Shot ty" is two syllables, same as "shot gun". It is one less letter. How is this more handy to use than the proper word except to be cute?

"Prolly" was invented just to be annoying. Stop it. Please.

"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 17, 2013, 02:14 PM   #31
shortwave

Quote:
OK, here is another way we sort of offend ones new to the sport. Acronyms. I mean it's fine if there is a secret decoder ring or a list somewhere they can use to figure out what someone is saying.
Go over to TFL's FAQ page. Scroll down to and click on 'CLOTFLA' (AKA: Camonical List of TFL Acronyms) under the title Web Acronyms/ Firearms Terms.

You will find a lot of help with acronyms there.

Last edited by shortwave; September 17, 2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old September 17, 2013, 02:19 PM   #32
dgludwig

While we're venting our pet grammatical usage peeves, I really hate the sign-off "nuff said". And I've never understood why guns are always girls for some (she's-the gun-is a great shooter; never he's).
Nuff said.
Old September 17, 2013, 06:41 PM   #33
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
Right, "shottie" is common vernacular in the US gun world.
Uh-huh, because those folks bought their first shotgun at walmart where they advertise Mossy Shotties on sale..........

And Winnies, and Remmys shotties, riffies.etc...."BARF"

Try yet again. Stupid childish slang used by ignorant folks does not help our cause - it really hurts it.
Old September 17, 2013, 08:57 PM   #34
Rikakiah

Re: Enough with "Shottie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Z View Post
I agree that it's a LITTLE distracting to read that but you guys are all up in a tizzy for nothing. If you don't like it don't click the thread. It too will pass.

As for those of you who believe censoring the word is a good idea do you think then we should also censor the AR platform being called a "black" rifle because it may offend some? Grease gun might bother some...... etc. etc.
Exactly. Personally, I don't see it as a big deal in and of itself. Do we always have to don our smoking jackets and talk in proper English every time? Relax a bit. To me, just about any slang term for a firearm is fine, so long as the rest of the post is intelligent and coherent. If slang dominates your speech, it gets really annoying really quickly, but a term (relatively common one at that) for your favorite projectile-spewing implement isn't something to get up in arms over.
Old September 17, 2013, 09:00 PM   #35
breakingcontact

Shotty is worse than "clip". At least a clip is a thing.
Old September 17, 2013, 09:01 PM   #36
breakingcontact

A guy with username "shortwave" doesn't like acronyms? Nor military I suppose.
Old September 17, 2013, 09:25 PM   #37
Bake

I have to admit, about a third of the time I refer to my Brownings as "Brownies"...
Old September 17, 2013, 09:52 PM   #38
shortwave

[QUOTE]A guy with username "shortwave" doesn't like acronyms? Nor military I suppose ][QUOTE]

breakingcontact,

Care to elaborate on the above post... especially the part I highlighted???

Last edited by shortwave; September 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old September 17, 2013, 09:55 PM   #39
John Fritz

"... shottie = fingernails on chalk board ..."

No. Minty. That is the word that makes me slam my head into any nearby concrete wall.
Old September 18, 2013, 08:23 AM   #40
Louca

Hey shortwave, when I saw your name, I first thought of amateur radio, then I thought of military communications. Was I right on either? Both noble pursuits I am or have been a part of.

Lou
Old September 18, 2013, 11:50 AM   #41
shortwave

Quote:
Hey shortwave, when I saw your name, I first thought of amateur radio, then I thought of military communications. Was I right on either?
No sir Louca, sorry but wrong on both counts.

Have seriously considered changing my TFL name as I get that often but have had it for such a long time.

Quote:
Both noble pursuits I am or have been a part of.
Please accept my deep appreciation for your service to our country.
Old September 18, 2013, 02:35 PM   #42
Striker1

Quote:
Uh-huh, because those folks bought their first shotgun at walmart where they advertise Mossy Shotties on sale..........

And Winnies, and Remmys shotties, riffies.etc...."BARF"

Try yet again. Stupid childish slang used by ignorant folks does not help our cause - it really hurts it.
I wonder how much perceived snobbery might help our cause...
Old September 18, 2013, 03:33 PM   #43
dgludwig

Is it "snobbish" to use proper terms when communicating?
Old September 18, 2013, 03:41 PM   #44
Striker1

Didn't say it was did I?
Old September 18, 2013, 04:16 PM   #45
KMAX

There are far too many slang terms that annoy me slightly to make a big deal of any of them and I don't doubt that I am guilty of some myself. Irregardless, prolly, shottie, and wheel gun are but a few of the terms that annoy me, but I do not lose sleep over them.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old September 18, 2013, 04:20 PM   #46
shortwave

Quote:
No it isn't...but again, as I stated in my first post on this thread, many can appear "snobbish" or downright rude when trying to get their point across to a new member here or a new member here that is just getting into shotgunning that doesn't know any better.

Just type in the word 'shotty' or 'shottie' in this forum search window, do a search and you'll see what I mean. Most of the members(or now x-members) that used that slang word when they first posted didn't have many posts and had just joined TFL. Then the first response's the new member recv's. is how stupid, ignorant he/she is. Doubt the same senior members guilty of this even stopped their rant long enough to first welcome the new member to TFL.
What a great welcoming, eh?

It's one thing for a more senior member here to correct or try to teach a newer member something without talking down to them and or being disrespectful .

Totally another for that more senior member to act "snobbish" or like a total ass when trying to get their point across. Don't know about you but when I see the above happening, I have less respect for that more senior member then I do for the newer member using the word 'shotty' cause that more senior member doesn't do our cause any good , is surely not making TFL as a whole look good and must be just a 'snobbish' jerk in person cause he/she should know better.

I don't see one member that posted on here that likes the word 'shottie' or shotty' and I hope after this thread when new members come here to TFL using 'the word'(it will happen) that when we correct them, we remember that we are the ambassadors not only to our sport but to TFL as well.

Last edited by shortwave; September 18, 2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old September 18, 2013, 04:24 PM   #47
dgludwig

Striker1, if your question wasn't rhetorical in nature, my apology for making the rash presumption. But in the context of this thread and with the post you quoted, it did appear to me that you were answering your own "question".
Old September 18, 2013, 04:37 PM   #48
Striker1

Quote:
If your question wasn't rhetorical in nature, my apology for making the rash presumption. But in the context of this thread and with the post you quoted, it did appear to me that you were answering your own "question".
My point had nothing to do with using proper terminology, it was that perception can turn people off...and disparaging people as stupid, childish, ignorant...etc probably doesn't help bring new members in or keep them.

I agree with KMAX for the most part.
Old September 18, 2013, 04:42 PM   #49
dgludwig

Quote:
Irregardless, prolly, shottie, and wheel gun are but a few of the terms that annoy me, but I do not lose sleep over them.
Yep, and I don't need to count sheep either to get a good night's rest. Nuff said...
Old September 18, 2013, 04:53 PM   #50
jimbob86

+1 to shortwave

Ummmm......... errrrrrr........ lemmmeee think here a sec ........

Shotty! Shotty! Shottttttttteeeeeeeeee!

I am glad we live in a Free Country where we can express ourselves with a bit of individuality ...... if everyone spoke (and typed) in perfect Queen's English, and only asked straightforward, technical questions, offered no opinions they were sure the Old Farts In Charge did not agree with and basicly sucked up to them ..... what a recipe for boredom and stagnation!

Quote:
Not necessarily, but done to excess (and running around as the terminology and or spelling/grammar police is "excess"), it can make you appear to be every bit as dry, stilted, boring and altogether unpleasant as a constipated Monarch giving a 3 hour public speech on keeping a stiff upper lip. Wipe the egg off the lip, take some Exlaxx, and lets get on to educatin' the young'uns .......
Closed Thread