The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 18, 2005, 11:55 PM   #1
No Name XII

Freebore and some other stuff

First off; I am new to metallic reloading, go easy. I am loading up some barnes 220 gr. solids for .300 Win. Mag., and I want to know if there will be enought freebore left if they are loaded to the max COL. I would assume that they wouldn't publish it if it weren't safe for everything, but I am just curious how a bullet of that shape can be seated as far out as something that is not straight and not be jammed into the lands. Well, looking at the dummy round I made up, it looks like shortly after the neck there is a slight decrease in diameter. I will measure that, and if it is less than .300 I guess I just answered my own question. Next, the book I have for some other bullets lists a Federal 215 for the primer. All I could get a hold of were some CCI LRMs. Is it ok to substitute these? Finally, I know you are supposed to reduce a load by 10% and work up. Is that 10% off of the max load or the lowest load. For example; for some hornady 190 gr btsp, the max listed load was 76.9 gr RL25, I think, for 2900 fps as the max load, then something for 2800 fps, and then 71.1 for 2700 fps, and some more on down to 2400 fps I think. I used the 2700 fps load. Is this ok, or should I dismantle these and go lower? Also, what is an acceptable tolerance for COL in general? Sorry for all the stupid questions, but I would rather ask than blow something up, and I don't really have anyone local to ask.

Edit:I just measured, and the Barnes goes down to about .2997-.2998 a little bit above the cannelure (is that still the proper term if it doesn't have any ridges?), so I guess that takes care of that one.

The data in the Hornady book for the 190 gr. BTSP and RL-25 is 65.3 gr.-2500fps; 68.2 gr.-2600 fps; 71.1 gr.-2700 fps; 74.0-2800 fps; 76.9 gr.-2900 fps.

Don't Get Wenzeled

Why? Because shooting stuff is fun.
Old November 19, 2005, 12:14 AM   #2
Bullet94

No Name XII
Take your dummy round (no powder no primer) and take a magic marker and put some on your bullet. Then chamber your dummy round. Carefully extract your dummy round and if you’re into the lands you should see marks on your bullet from the lands (the lands rub off the marker).

You can switch brands of primers as long as they’re the same large rifle for large rifle – small rifle for small rifle etc.
But by using a different brand the pressure could change (not a problem if you reduce your powder and work up).

When reducing powders by 10%. This means 10% from MAX.

Regarding OAL if you’re using a magazine, load as long as what will fit in your mag. Then check it in your rifle with a bullet that has been colored by a magic marker like above.
Old November 19, 2005, 12:24 AM   #3
No Name XII

I tried the magic marker thing, and it was rubbed off along the bottom, but not all around, like the bullet wasn't seated perfectly straight, so I may try another one and see. It probably doesn't help that the neck is so short. Thanks for the help.

Don't Get Wenzeled

Old November 19, 2005, 01:56 AM   #4
No Name XII

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering how absolutely rediculous a long round-nose looks in that case... Left- Barnes 220 gr. solid; Right- Hornady 190 gr. BTSP.

Don't Get Wenzeled