The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 3, 2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

I liked the lever holder.....

....on SLTM1's Walker so much, I made one....

Old September 3, 2012, 07:49 PM   #2
noelf2

Looks good Doc, but it just ain't the same if the lever stays put.
Old September 3, 2012, 09:24 PM   #3
indy1919

Does such things put some scratches as you use it..???

It does look nice
Old September 3, 2012, 09:33 PM   #4
bushmaster65

OK Doc,
How do you keep it on there? looks like it would want to slide off if you carry it
pointing down
Old September 4, 2012, 02:49 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

Some answers

I am probably going to need to line it with felt or something. The ID of the large ring is about 3/32 larger than the OD of the barrel. I made it this way in anticipation of needing a lining for it. Although I must admit that I was hoping not to have to go there. I may start with three little felt or cork pads rather than a lining for the whole thing.

I am more concerned whether it will stay in place when the pistol is fired.

It would also probably not work if the shooter uses a holster (which I never do). I can easily imagine pulling the revolver out of a holster and having the clip stuck in the bottom of the holster. Now, the lever drops during firing because the clip is stuck in the holster and you can't reholster the revolver since the clip is in the way. Bad day at the range.

I put it on the pistol (sans lining) and all seemed snug but I have one of those Walkers in which the lever latch still works. The pressure applied by the lever against the barrel held the clip in place in all positions and in spite of a little shaking. (Ever try shaking a Walker? It ain't easy.) I know there are plenty of Walkers in which the latch still works but I read more stories which lead me to believe a clip for the lever is needed in many pistols.

I'll let you know if it stays on the barrel.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; September 4, 2012 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Completely reworded to tell the whole story
Old September 4, 2012, 09:03 AM   #6
bedbugbilly

Looks great Doc . . . now if you could a magnetic strip in there . . . just think of the possibilities!

This obviously was a problem with the originals as well . . . has anyone read any first person accounts in regards to this and how they solved it "way back then"? I'm guessing that it was such a common problem with that model that nobody bothered to ever mention it in writing?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 4, 2012, 09:10 AM   #7
noelf2

It was a problem with the originals. So, in the spirit of the originals, Uberti ensures it's a problem with their replica as well. I think the lever drop only happens with full bp loads (can anyone confirm?). Solution was to lift the lever back up between shots with one hand , or if only one hand was available, slap the lever against something (leg, saddle, etc.) to push it back up between shots. There were only 1100 or so Walker's made, so probably not significant to publish issues or fixes.

Last edited by noelf2; September 4, 2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old September 4, 2012, 09:49 AM   #8
sltm1

Nice work Doc, the one's I used to make were a snug fit on the barrel. Yes they did mar the finish after a while, but they never came off in the holster. I also made sure they were a real snug fit over the slight swelling at the end of the loading lever. They were a compromise of function over form so to speak, but then I'm not real big on pristine "looks" when it comes to a shooters finish. Here's a new Remmie I just antiqued.
Old September 4, 2012, 10:45 AM   #9
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Nice clean soldering job Doc. "You have a good eye for detail I see."
Old September 4, 2012, 11:05 AM   #10
Doc Hoy

Thanks guys

You all know that when I post these little excursions I am just fishing for compliments.

Noel,

Thats a good one. Trust Uberti to make sure all of the faults of the originals are present in the repros. (Relax guys my tongue is in my cheek.)

Nice antique job on the 1858, SLTM. I think that is why I like the cold blue process for the ones I refinish. For one thing it is far easier and in addition the color (IMO) makes the pieces look more period correct.

In fact I was going to suggest a velcro strap to hold this lever up but I figured the CAS guys might protest. (Tongue still in cheek.)
Old September 4, 2012, 12:30 PM   #11
Hawg

I think most originals ended up with a leather thong tied around them. A lot of repros too.
Old September 4, 2012, 03:32 PM   #12
freedom475

That looks nice!!

What I did to fix mine was to try and bend the little lever retainer spring forward real hard...and of coarse is snapped right off Well actually it blew out the dovetail notch.

So I took it to a freind of mine that has a TIG welder and he welded it back in place for me with a little forward cant.

From that day forward my lever never dropped again. so I am thinking this problem could be fixed by the manufacture if they cared to.

I think that you may be able to add a little metal (JB weld, solder, etc.) to the ball end of the retainer spring and fix the problem as well.

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Old September 17, 2012, 08:00 PM   #13
Roshi

Nice work!

Good craftsmanship there Doc! I'd never seen one of these until I got on this forum. Had a Walker once but the lever dropping every shot was a pain I couldn't live with.
Old September 17, 2012, 08:36 PM   #14
MJN77

All you have to do to keep the lever from falling, even with full 60 gr. loads, is file a little flat spot on top of the lever latch. Takes about five minutes.

This isn't my photo. But it shows what to do.
Old September 18, 2012, 08:01 AM   #15
saltydog452

Josie's and Gus' levers never fell.

salty
Old September 18, 2012, 10:53 AM   #16
Doc Hoy

MJN77 is absolutely correct...

But filing the clip is not as much fun as making my Rube Goldberg contrivance.
Old September 18, 2012, 12:20 PM   #17
Strafer Gott

Now that I have seen it, the others look like plain janes. It definitely puts some lipstick on that old horse pistol.