The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 1, 2009, 12:21 PM   #1
cajuncutter

1873 US Springfield Trapdoor

Any ideas what the gun would be worth or a fair asking price? We dug this out of my buddies shop and he is considering letting it go to fund other projects. It was passed down his family though his "step" grandfather. It has no sentimental value to him and he has no idea of any history of the riffle. The bayonet is attached and has been since he could remember his father taking possesion of it. We did not dare attempt to remove it. Anyway any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Louis

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1873b.jpg (240.7 KB, 874 views)
File Type: jpg 1873c.jpg (131.1 KB, 872 views)
File Type: jpg 1873d.jpg (95.6 KB, 863 views)
Old February 2, 2009, 11:03 PM   #2
cajuncutter

No collectors here? BTT
Old February 3, 2009, 09:23 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

About all anyone can tell from those pictures is that it is a trapdoor rifle probably the Model 1873. The condition could be OK, but it has a coating of rust and what appears to be dirt that really don't help the value, but must be cleaned VERY carefully or the value could be ruined. It appears to be missing the cleaning rod, but looks otherwise to be complete, but in poor condition. Without better information and better pics (cropped would also help), I couldn't give anything but a WAG on value.

Jim
Old February 3, 2009, 10:34 PM   #4
cajuncutter

Thanks for the reply. We took it out today with some reloads my buddys father had loaded some years ago. This thing is cool, of course we ducked and took best cover we could on the first shot . After that we put 15 rounds down the tube. Cool gun!
Old February 4, 2009, 11:35 AM   #5
Tom2

Appears to be missing the screw on the hammer too. Soaking the bayonet in Kroil for a while should get it off of there. Might even give it a week or two to soak in if it does not work overnite. Then tapping it with a plastic or even rubber mallot might break loose the rust or whatever is holding it in place. I don't know what the handloads are, but if they are not something that is a blackpowder equivalent for pressure in a gun in that condition, yea, I would run away too. Really nice ones will run over 1000$ nowadays, but rusty beat ones are alot harder to sell. You might only get a few hundred from a buyer or even less from a dealer if he makes an issue of the condition. Not the worst I have seen for sale though. Just was apparently not stored well for a long time. But a hundred years ago surplus trapdoors were worth peanuts so got no respect?
Old February 4, 2009, 11:41 AM   #6
Tom2

Might be useful to look at the www.trapdoorcollector.com website for information about them and links to other sites.
Old February 7, 2009, 08:31 AM   #7
cajuncutter

Thanks much for the response. I have not checked my thread in several days. I did find that site and have been reading up. I may contact the fellow and see what it would take to get in their circle to sell the gun. My buddy is not worried about breaking the bank on selling it. Just something to get rid of so he can apply it to a project. Speaking of powder. We were looking around at all of his fathers reload stuff and found over 26 pounds of powder. 1lb metal cans unopened with $2.88 price tags from TGY LOL A lot of the powder contains nitroglycerin . We did find a lot of recipes that are age/powder appropriate.
Old February 7, 2009, 04:00 PM   #8
TEDDY

trap door

cleaned with bayo it could bring $500.the gov sold a lot of those for $1.5 and 1000rds for $3.00 alot of NG units had them.