The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 17, 2006, 01:30 AM   #1
jrfoxx

Astra mdel 600/43

I recently inherited an Astra model 600/43 9mm made in 1945 and after feild stripping and cleaning of old, gooey oil, seem to be unable to dry-fire the weapon regardless of saftey position or with or without magazine insertr. Is this an odd dry-fire "safety" thing unique to this tye of gun, or does it indicate a problem?

Last edited by jrfoxx; March 18, 2006 at 05:55 AM.
Old March 17, 2006, 05:17 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

you may get a better response if you posted this in the Smithy forum. I can send you the disassem W/Photos if you want them

HJN
Old March 17, 2006, 10:09 AM   #3
deadin

oops.... please disregard

Dean
Old March 18, 2006, 01:03 AM   #4
sck

Just checked my Astra and it dry fires fine. Now the question becomes why won't yours? There are two possibilites. Either it isn't being "cocked" when you pull back the slide or the fireing pin isn't being released when you pull the trigger. The easy fix is the latter. When firearms are allow to sit over a long period, oil and dirt coagulate. This mixture can prevent the gun from functioning properly. When you "field stripped" it, how far did you go? Did you notice lots of old, dried oil and grease on the parts you cleaned? If you did, it may be that the spring is literally locked in one by the old, dried oil and grease. Try cleaning it more thoroughly and see if that doesn't solve the problem. Even if you don't want to go beyond a field strip, just take an aerosol can of a good cleaner that has one of those little tubes that lets you concentrate the spray, and spray it into firing pin hole. let it really run through there. You have to squirt in enough stuff to loosen the old grease, and then enough to rinse it all out. But be careful about the stuff you use. Some stuff will damage bluing and even some of the less potent ones will damage the grips. So be careful. If you get it all clean and see that the cleaning agent is running out nice and clean, and it still won't dry fire, I suspect that we have a broken part, either a firing pin spring or a part of the firing mechanism. Let us know what happens. Best of luck and good shooting -- Steve
Old March 18, 2006, 06:46 AM   #5
jrfoxx

Thanks for the responses. It appears to have been a stuck part. I disassembled (field strip) it again, and hosed it out everywhere with LOTS of gun scrubber and then some Hoppe's No 9, then re-lubed with Rem-oil, and it will dry fire now. I had forgotten to mention in my origonal post that the trigger would only wiggle, and acted as if the safety was on when it wasnt (sorry). My guess is maybe the magazine safety was stuck, as I see this gun will not fire without a mag inserted, and the thumb safety has semed free and functional the whole time, so stuck mag safety seems likely. Anyway, thanks again. Cant wait to try this thing out at the range.