The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 11, 2012, 10:03 PM   #1
FLChinook

WT Deer: Reload .257WM or .300 Win Mag?

I've just spent 4 days hunting WT deer and only had shots at 300 yds. I was shooting a .257 Weatherby Mag with 117 gr Sierra GameKing bullets with lowest recommended charge. With this load, my gun sighted in at +1.5" at 100 yds and -1.5" at 200 yds. I only tested a few rounds at 300 yds and found about -6".

I'm ready to reload something different and return. My two choices:

1) .257 WM with 100 gr Nosler Partition loaded per Nosler's recommendation,
2) .300 Win Mag with 165 Berger loaded per Berger's recommendation.

These are the bullets I have. I assume my coming shots will also be long range. I have only used these Berger bullets when my scope was defective so have no experience with them.

Which should I load for this application? Thanks

Last edited by FLChinook; November 12, 2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old November 12, 2012, 12:41 AM   #2
FLChinook

OK. No answer. I'm going with the 257 and 100 gr Noslers. This should shoot flatter than the 300 Win Mag with 168s and 100 grains should be enough for a sub-200# white tail...

I'll load it mid-strength; Nosler says the starting load is more accurate but I believe my Weatherby Mark V has a long throat and is probably yielding lower pressures and velocities. I'd like to test it with a chrono but don't have one. The rather large drop I'm getting between 100 and 200 yards seems to suggest this... ??

I don't have time before this hunt to explore multiple options
Old November 12, 2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Jimro

If you are only -6 inches at 300, why bother changing your load? Leave your scope set as and aim slightly higher on the shoulder.

There is no load that is fast enough to eliminate drop, and white tail deer are not exactly tough to kill.

Jimro
Old November 12, 2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'd load that same bullet but work it up to max charge.

It's not hard to correct for 6" low anyway but why hunt with a minimum charge?

A 300 yard shot is 8 clicks up or a slight hold-over.

JBM Ballistics says a 168gr Berger at 3,100 from a 300WinMag 1.5" high at 100 would be 4.9 low at 300, so I don't see what you'd be gaining.

I'd work that .257 up to an accurate, near max load and sight it in about 2" high at 100. A 100gr Nosler Partition at 3,200 2" high at 100 is only 3.5 low at 300.
Old November 12, 2012, 09:53 AM   #5
FLChinook

Thanks for the input. There's truth in all the replies. If I stay with the existing GKs, I'll want to re-visit the range to confirm the 300 yard performance. That would just about exhaust my stock of that round. So the question was, "load more of that or try something different using other bullets I already have"?

I'm going with the 100 grain Nosler Partition and will let you know how that turns out.

PS. I was using lower loads because that was what historically gave me the best accuracy at the range. If that scenario continues with the Noslers, it will almost be a wash. Gaining 1/2" accuracy at 100 yards gains 1.5" at 300 but going from a 6" drop there to a 4" drop just about erases that gain.

AT the range it's called "shooting"; in the field it's called "hunting". Detailed analysis can usually help "shooting" but circumstances almost always trump analysis in the field.

I seldom miss at the range; missing is more frequent for me in the field. Darn those circumstances
Old November 13, 2012, 10:58 PM   #6
loademwell

I would have went with the 300. Just because of the bullet size. Should have looked a little closer at what you were shooting. But only 100 grains? Seems to be a little small. I would be afrad that the bullet would go right through the deer without expanding much.

I shoot a 25-06. During this time, I was using 100 gr. SP.: I have on a number of occasions shot a deer (knowing that I hit it) and went to look for a blood trail. NONE TO BE FOUND!!!! I spent about 2 hours walking around the Mt. that he ran up. Gave up and started heading back to my truck, when I found him. He died about 300 yards from POI. Not bad. But again, no blood anywhere around him. I now shoot the 117 gr. BT. And aim for more neck shots now.

They don't bleed out when you hit them with small bullets that don't mushroom very much.

Rereading your post, Seems ........ off....... +1.5 at 100 then -1.5 at 200?

I slapped this info in my range calculator:
257 WMag.
117 Gr.
With 66 grains of Powder. (Didn't pay too much attention in which powder)

I came up with a muzzle Velocity of aprox... 3222 fps.

This is what the calculator said at POA at 150 yards:

Damn. Cant copy/paste N.M. I guess your #'s are almost spot on with my puter.

I get 1.74 +/- at the 100 and 200

my mistake: Never played with a 257. I always thought they would be a bit flatter of a shooter.

Ok, the 300 on the other hand. Puter said that it would be -2.02 at 200 yds. if you POA is at 150. That was with a 168 gr. HP. Just in case you were wondering.

Totally up to you. I guess that 257 is much flatter then the 300. But the 300 is a bit bigger. Send me a PM. if you want me to look up different Drop rates for em......

If I were in your shoes, I would rerange em. Sight em in for 250 yds. or 300 yds. If all the deer that you saw were that far, good chance the next ones will be too.

Get a 44 mag in a holster for them little deer at 25 yds. then you should be covered. Good luck....
Old November 13, 2012, 11:13 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by loademwell
But only 100 grains? Seems to be a little small. I would be afrad that the bullet would go right through the deer without expanding much.

I shoot a 25-06. During this time, I was using 100 gr. SP.: I have on a number of occasions shot a deer (knowing that I hit it) and went to look for a blood trail. NONE TO BE FOUND!!!! I spent about 2 hours walking around the Mt. that he ran up. Gave up and started heading back to my truck, when I found him. He died about 300 yards from POI. Not bad. But again, no blood anywhere around him. I now shoot the 117 gr. BT.
Are you saying that it is your belief that a heavier bullet of the same caliber expands larger and faster than a lighter bullet?
Old November 14, 2012, 12:20 PM   #8
loademwell

Quote:
Are you saying that it is your belief that a heavier bullet of the same caliber expands larger and faster than a lighter bullet?
Depends: In most cases YES. The type of bullet expands differently then others. And in most cases the ones that expand more are in fact heavier...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...toplabeled.jpg

And:

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/faqexpansion.html
Old November 14, 2012, 12:37 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Bullet construction changing expansion characteristics is completely unrelated to bullet weight.

You would need to compare identical bullet construction at identical speed of impact to make a meaningful comparison.

For example, Barnes makes their TTSX .308 bullets in 110, 130, 150, 165, 168, 180 and 200gr versions. I'm not positive but I would imagine (it only makes sense) that the part BEHIND the expansion cavity is where the majority of the weight difference resides. Meaning that the difference in weight has little bearing on expanded size.

A reasonable comparison would have to eliminate all variables as much as possible except weight.

Two completely different bullets that ALSO happen to be different weights and expand to different diameters is meaningless.
Old November 14, 2012, 10:12 PM   #10
FLChinook

Quote:
If all the deer that you saw were that far, good chance the next ones will be too.
Ah, would that it were so. Tonight, a nice herd of 4 appeared at 50-ft. I was so shocked I couldn't even get a shot off. For the next day or so, I'm not going to even resemble a human being and all human beings had best give me a wide berth. I've already warned my wife...
Old November 14, 2012, 10:31 PM   #11
loademwell

Two deer hunting guns on me when its time to hunt.
Like I said before.. 25-06 Fine gun... Like I said before ^ that deer don't seem to bleed out much when I hit them with 117 Gr. Boat Tail. Very flat shooter and precise.
Gun 2: Marlin 336 Chambered for 35 Rem. 200 Gr. RN.

If I am looking for a long range shot, 25-06 is the way to go.
But if its up to 100 yds. My 35 has never failed.

Note on 25-06 117 gr. Looking at many different loads and bullet combos, This bullet is supposed to be the most expanded bullet for this gun. I Still Don't Love It... Not a big enough exit. If I do not hit the deer just perfect (neck or head) I have to hike a bit to make the find. On average 300 yds. Only did this two times. After the second time, I now only take neck or head.

35: Never had to go farther then 50 yards to find the shot deer.

I was in S.W.A.T. with my 25-06... Still if I had to defend my country from some foreign invader the 35 would be on my right. I trust my life to my 35.

From all of my experience, The Heavier Bullet Takes Animals down Faster. The expanding have to have something to do with this....

Why is the #1 deer hunting gun in the country have to be the 30-06 and not the 223? I believe that most hunter (subconsciously or not) know that the the 30 cal. bullet take deer down better then the .22.