The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 8, 2008, 11:12 AM   #1
Uncle Ben

The Iron Giant

Please see the following short letter from "Guns America"
------------------------------------------------------
Hi Everyone.
I would just like to warn gun owners and especially hunters to NOT BUY a movie on the rack at Wal-Mart this week called "The Iron Giant" for your kids. It looks like a great movie and overall it actually is, but it demonizes deer hunters and guns in general. It is THE WORST I have seen to date. The focus on the gun and say "guns kill" over and over again. The whole point of the movie is that the robot doesn't want to be a gun.
If you don't want to be surprized by a movie you innocently bought for your kids, avoid it, really. They could have introduced the concept of death to the big robot any number of ways, but the Hollywood elitists chose to use deer hunters.
These hypocrite trained monkeys probably went to lunch at Arbys everyday to eat a cow that someone else killed for them, WITHOUT A GUN.
Blech blech blech why can't these idiots understand that America has real problems, and none of them have to do with hunters or guns.
-ga
Old October 8, 2008, 01:04 PM   #2
taylorce1

Damage is done already, that movie has been out on video for several years and has been broadcasted on TV. What was that GunsAmerica email going to prevent now? Just goes to show you how out of touch some people can be, to write an email about a 10 year old movie. I saw the movie with my nephew and saw it as entertainment and how is different than Bambi, Fox and the Hound, Open Season, or many other childrens movies that deamonize hunting? It showed the government and military as bumbling idots as well. I say don't shelter our children from such opinions but give them both sides of the story and let them form their own. My nephew saw all of the above movies and still can't wait to go hunting for the first time when it is him behind the trigger. He loves to go out and spend time with his father hunting coyotes and shooting prairie dogs and other game.
Old October 8, 2008, 01:10 PM   #3
ISC

yeah, but what can you expect when one of the heroes is a beatnik?
Old October 8, 2008, 01:10 PM   #4
pax

My kids and I made fun of it together. It's a stupid movie, and we had a hoot telling each other just how it was stupid.

pax
Old October 8, 2008, 01:12 PM   #5
davlandrum

Quote:
I say don't shelter our children from such opinions but give them both sides of the story and let them form their own.
+1

There is no way to keep them away from everything. But if they know both sides, there is hope. It also amazes me how well they can define the difference between a movie and real life.

My kids did not think Open Season was anti-hunting, they thought it was anti-SLOB-hunter. The guy purposely trying to kill a deer with his truck was not like any real hunter they know. I thought it was a riot. Similar to Bugs Bunny versus Elmer Fudd.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 8, 2008, 01:30 PM   #6
deanadell

That was one of my daughter's absolute favortie movies when she was little(er)

As you can see, it turned her completely anit-gun.....

I let her watch all of that garbage...bambi...balto....iron giant, and then we talk about what BS message they are trying to sell her....
Old October 8, 2008, 01:55 PM   #7
cat9x

that email was probably just a virus
Old October 8, 2008, 02:23 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

When I was but a wee tike in the early 70's I was taken to the drive in with my siblings by my parents to see Bambi...
As I sat on the roof of that 66 ford failane 500 I just couldn't wait to hit the woods and hunt bambi, thumper and other critters while avoiding the skunk. Las Vegas isn't the best city for a hunter minded kid to live and was relieved to be drug to Michigan in 1977 or 78 thus beginning my life long obsession with the great outdoors and things like self reliance and woods skills.
Brent
Old October 8, 2008, 03:14 PM   #9
Bitmap

I've seen it and it is a stupid movie. The brave hero who saves the day is a pot smoking artist who lives in a junk yard. The little boy lives with his mom and no mention of a father. All members of the US military are cowards and are evil. There is a government agent in charge of finding this iron giant and the guy is a paranoid, stupid, obnoxious creep. Maybe they used BATF agents as a model for him. The iron giant goes around steeling stuff from people (cars, water towers, railroad rails) to eat, but he doesn't want to let humans eat.

How many more pc cliches can be crammed into one cartoon?

My kids were more interested in all the weaponry and where the bullet hit the deer than in the PC stuff.
Old October 8, 2008, 03:32 PM   #10
Microgunner

I loved it. It made my cry. Sniff....sniff......
Old October 8, 2008, 04:03 PM   #11
davlandrum

Quote:
yeah, but what can you expect when one of the heroes is a beatnik?

uuummm, what the heck is a beatnik?

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 8, 2008, 04:08 PM   #12
Microgunner

Quote:
uuummm, what the heck is a beatnik?
You know, weed smoking, cafe drinking, poetry reading, beret wearing, bongo playing, sunglass wearing, finger snapping, no bathing, goatee wearing, unemployed wastes of good oxygen.
Old October 8, 2008, 07:52 PM   #13
Buzzcook

The Beat movement was an important philosophical and artistic movement.
At its base was a rejection of the status quo pf the 1950s. Whether it was consumerist society or literary/artistic/social restrictions, the Beatnik ideal was anti-authoritarian.
Jack Kerouac coined the term Beat and Beatnik out of a grab bag of ideas including beat as in music, beat down, and beatific from religion. He saw the Beats as analogus to the "Lost Generation of the time between WWI and WWII.

Just as an overview check out the art work of Jackson Pollack, Allen Ginsberg's poem Howl, or Jack Kerouac's Desolation Angels.

The Beats would have rejected the Iron Giant out of hand.

I thought it was an ok kids movie. If I had to stop reading books or listening to music or watching movies that contained stuff I disagreed with, there wouldn't be a lot of them I could read, listen to, or watch.
Old October 8, 2008, 08:03 PM   #14
Yithian

Get a grip.
Guns do kill. Same as a knife.
If you, as a parent, don't punch that fact into their heads, you fail to teach them safety.
A cartoon has nothing to do with it unless you implant that Kalifornia Dream into their heads.

Lemme guess, you want to brainwash me from hunting because of the movie Bambi? Or that skunks are cuddly and friendly?

Grow up and take your own responsibility. Stop following the leash politicians put you on.

BTW, I liked the movie, and I am an evil hunter.
I shot a skunk in the rear-pucker last Sunday from 20 feet, and it vaporized. Smelled like roasted skunk. The hide floated back to the ground from over two feet in the air.
ATTT said, "If you go near there, you are riding home on top of the truck."
Laughed my *** off. (still do)
Old October 9, 2008, 09:18 AM   #15
Bitmap

I seem to recall that this cartoon had some bad language in it. Not the F-word, and not a lot of it, but stuff I don't say in front of my kids.
Old October 9, 2008, 11:02 AM   #16
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hey, Buzzcook, I still have my copy of Ferlinghetti's "Coney Island of the Mind".

Beats were quiet folks, generally, content to do their own thing and not bother other people. Minimalist, not interested in lots of possessions--nor in changing the world.

Hippies came later, and were a whole different deal--and now they're bossing Congress.

"Bambi" played in Australia during WW II. Lots of US GIs got some R&R time there. During the scene where Bambi goes through the forest calling for his mother, some Aussie in a balcony called out, "Don't worry, kid; she's just out with some bloomin' Yank!"
Old October 9, 2008, 03:09 PM   #17
davlandrum

Sorry to cause the extra typing due to leaving off my

I actually did know what a beatnik was, just found it funny on here. I read Keraouc as a kid (On the Road - is that the right title?).

Anyway, it is OLD slang, and just struck me funny. I guess if it is old slang and I know what it means, that makes me.......smart?, no way could it mean I am old