The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 3, 2011, 06:38 PM   #1
relic 59 50

.22 lr pistols

hi im new to the forum but ive been here many times, i was just wondering what 22 lr pistols you guys/gals think are the best for competition/target shooting. i want to buy 22 in the hopes of getting good with iron sights and in hopes of picking up target and competition shooting. ive already got a few guns in mind.... a RUGER MKIII, BROWNING BUCKMARK, and BERRETA U22 NEOS, what do you guys think is the best for my needs? or any other gun suggestions? im not a millionaire so i cant afford the really expensive ones. i really appreciate it.
Old December 3, 2011, 06:47 PM   #2
buckeyedave

Relic

All of those you mentioned are good guns. My experience with 22lr has been with an ISSC M22. I have 1000 rounds down it and find it to be a good shooter.

My .02 cents.

Dave
Ruger SR22P
Old December 3, 2011, 07:08 PM   #3
relic 59 50

dave

thanks for the suggestion, looks alot like a glock how is it on accuracy?
Old December 3, 2011, 07:13 PM   #4
OkieCruffler

I love my MKII but even tho it's not as hard to strip as Iwas led to believe it's still more of a pain than I would like it to be. If I were doing it over again I'd probably look closer at the Buckmark. The S&W 22A is also a nice pistol if you like the grip. Loved mine except for that.
Old December 3, 2011, 09:49 PM   #5
Mike38

What type of target / competition shooting are you planning to do with your .22? If it’s Conventional Pistol (Bullseye) or International Standard Pistol, I would suggest the Baikal IZH35M as an excellent entry level tool. They are no longer imported as far as I know, but you may be able to find a good used one for less then $400. I have two of them, (not for sale) and think they are great. My scores in Bullseye instantly jumped 50 points from a Ruger MkII to the Baikal.
Old December 3, 2011, 09:58 PM   #6
GaryH

I have a Neos 6" and a Buckmark 5.5". Both are excellent shooters. Both are very accurate. The Neos is easier to clean. This particular Browning will eat any kind of ammo I feed it.
Old December 3, 2011, 11:24 PM   #7
pilpens

Ruger MK II or III 5.5" bull barrel or Browning Buckmark Bullseye (7" fluted heavy barrel, trigger stop, sear spring adjustment screw).
From my experience, Buckmark Bullseye was good out of the box and Ruger MKII required some trigger work.
Pick what you like more or fits better. If I was buying, I would pick the buckmark bullseye.
Old December 4, 2011, 07:40 AM   #8
buckeyedave

relic

I am fairly accurate with it and I can put a pretty tight spread on a target. It has an adjustable rear sight.

Dave
Ruger SR22P
Old December 4, 2011, 09:19 AM   #9
Pilot

I have four Ruger MK II's (one is a MK II era 22/45). They are all very accurate, and reliable. I've modded one, 5.5 inch bull barrel, with some Volquartsen trigger parts, and it works great, not that the stock triggers on mine are bad at all.

That being said, the Browning Buckmark is the other one I'd consider if buying another .22 pistol.

Either the Ruger or Browning will serve you well.
Old December 4, 2011, 09:41 AM   #10
crispy

For competition/target shooting (in the starting at $500 category) you have only two options. I say "starting at" because invariably you'll catch the disease and start making "upgrades"...

I had a Beretta Neos and it was a fine gun. Ate anything. You can shoot steel with it fine. Same goes for the GSG.

But you only have to look at the websites that are geared towards providing parts and accessories for this competitive area to see what everyone is shooting. And that answer is Ruger and Browning.

For example:

http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/

and then a vendor of their parts:

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv

You notice they don't do parts for much besides Ruger and Browning.
Old December 4, 2011, 09:58 AM   #11
Dashunde

I've got a Buckmark Hunter 7.5" that'll outshoot my eyes and ability every time.
Great gun.
Old December 4, 2011, 10:04 AM   #12
Zhillsauditor

You may be able to find a Sig/Hammerli Trailside cheap (under $400). I had one that was very good, but I sold it to fund something else. The Hammerli Xesse (sp?) is a similar pistol, but goes for over $500.

No one's mentioned the S&W model 41 yet, but they can be awful expensive. I love mine, but I got mine used for around 2/3rds of what a new one costs.

I am no fan of the Ruger MkIII. I had a Buckmark once that was another gun I remember fondly.
Old December 4, 2011, 10:14 AM   #13
roaddog28

Ruger Mark III or Browning Buckmark. My first 22LR pistol was a Ruger Mark I. More accurate that I could ever be. Everytime I think of a Target 22 LR semi-auto I think of these two. If I was in a market for a target 22LR that is what I would look for.
Howard
Old December 4, 2011, 11:08 AM   #14
Hammerhead

A good quality used Mark II with adjustable sight would be my first choice,(I don't like the Mark III's) or a Buckmark (they have interchangeable barrels).

I really like my CZ Kadet .22lr (conversion on a CZ75B 9mm), but I don't know if it's any more accurate than my Mark II. Haven't had it long enough to tell.

After I did some trigger work on my Mark II, it became the most accurate handgun I've ever owned (or at least equal to my Freedom Arms .357). Trigger parts are readily available from Volquartsen and others to get the most out of the gun.
Old December 4, 2011, 05:40 PM   #15
Fishbed77

IMHO, there's no really good reason to go with something other than a Ruger MK II/III or Browning Buckmark. None of the potmetal guns out there (SIG Mosquito, ISSC M22, Walther (really Umarex) P22, etc.) even come close in quality, durability, reliabilty, and shootability to the Ruger or Browning. Especially since some of those guns can cost as much or more.

S&W Model 41 is a great option too, but that's a LOT more money.
Old December 4, 2011, 06:15 PM   #16
OkieCruffler

The 41 is alot more money, and worth every penny, as are High Standards, Hammerli 280, etc. But for plinking you're probably right and as an entery level gun to the different sports, a good ruger/browning will get you started.
Old December 4, 2011, 06:28 PM   #17
Gerry

I really like the S&W Mod 41. I shot one just last week and it felt as good as many of the European .22 ISSF brand pistols costing 5 times the amount. The trigger was so sweet...

I want one!
Old December 4, 2011, 06:39 PM   #18
erob3

I have shot a S&W model 22A-1, I OWN 3 Ruger MKII's. There is no better rimfire .22 than a Ruger; IMO of course. They can be upgraded, if desired, without great expense. But out of the box they are great to begin with. I was told once, and I believe it, they are over engineered and will last many lifetimes. They can be a challenge to disassemble for the 1st time, after that it is not a problem. As to the MKIII, I have never owned one, but from what I have heard the loaded chamber indicator makes it even more difficult to strip. I would stay with a MKII, although I really wish Ruger had offered the "Hunter" model in a MKII - sweet pistol. If you would like to research more about .22 rimfires check out www.rimfirecentral.com. They know their stuff. Good Luck.

Last edited by erob3; December 4, 2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old December 4, 2011, 07:00 PM   #19
Laker

I've got a Buckmark Target, it's accurate and will eat any ammo I feed it, but works best with good ammo. There's nothing wrong with a Ruger. Get the Browning or Ruger that you like the best. You can't go wrong with either.
Old December 4, 2011, 07:31 PM   #20
rtpzwms

I've had a couple of Buck Marks, a P22, a S&W 22A, 22 conversion for a 1911, and the new Colt 1911/22. I've shot many others including the Rugers, Hi Points and so more that I can't remember them all. With all of that said the most accurate that I've fired is the S&W 22A with a 7.5 inch barrel. May not be the "best" pistol in the bunch but it is the most accurate. My 2 cents..
Old December 4, 2011, 10:53 PM   #21
Doc TH

If you are thinking of competitive bullseye shooting, you will find that the serious shooters gravitate toward the S&W model 41. It is expensive. The currently manufactured "High Standards" are not the same as the original older models and have a poor reputation. In the lower price range a Ruger or Browning target model will do well unless or until you get into the serious end of the sport, and maybe even then with some modifications. A Beretta 87 will also allow you to be competitive.
Old December 4, 2011, 11:19 PM   #22
OkieCruffler

There's a new High Standard being made and they are getting some very impressive reports. But they aren't cheap and I believe there's a bit of a wait. I had an 87, thought it was the gun for me. For that kind of coin I couldn't believe how bad the trigger was.
Old December 5, 2011, 10:08 AM   #23
springer99

Another vote for the Ruger Mk III. For bullseye, I'd prefer the short, bull barrel, since you'll likely end up putting a red-dot on it and that combination balances well. Can be tuned pretty well with some after-market trigger mods.

Unless you're already shooting in "Master or High-Master" class you will be competitive with this pistol.
Old December 5, 2011, 10:42 AM   #24
psyfly

I'd also suggest looking around for a Baikal IZH 35m (but I think the day that you could get a good used one for ~$ 400 has passed) before saving up your money for a NIB S&W 41.

Best,

Will
Old December 5, 2011, 11:01 AM   #25
Dino.

Quote:
Walther (really Umarex) P22
I think you're confusing the Umarex/Walther relationship with the Colt M4.

The Walther P22 is made by Carl Walther.
Distribution in the United States is by Walther America, a joint venture with the Smith and Wesson Company.

Tags
.22 , competition , pistol , suggestion , target