The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 4, 2014, 06:19 PM   #26
HKFan9

Just keep in mind when Special Forces or anyone for that matter are operating in another country, they have an idea of the local language.... so for the average citizen interested in self defense... I try to stay current in Hoodlum
Old August 4, 2014, 06:42 PM   #27
Unlicensed Dremel

Absolutely - true dat. But we're getting off the beaten path of the Rem 783 subject here...
Old August 4, 2014, 08:41 PM   #28
taylorce1

I was at Bass Pro today and looked at one in .30-06 and .270 Win just because of this topic. I didn't need either and I'd have to say it wouldn't be money well spent for me if I bought one. The rifle handles and points terribly and is extremely unbalanced and seems way too heavy for a synthetic stocked rifle.

I instead went back to Sportsman's Warehouse and walked out with a M700 ADL for $440. Ergo's are much better on the stock and the way it points and balances is of no comparison even thought they weight roughly the same. It is IMO far better to save up the extra $160 and buy the better rifle.
Old August 4, 2014, 08:58 PM   #29
reynolds357

Agreed, the budget rifles are not really cheap enough to justify not buying a good rifle.
Old August 5, 2014, 11:12 AM   #30
Unlicensed Dremel

Well there you go then - I trust that you two are exactly right on that. I've never handled one. Just had heard that they're built "better than a [710/715/770/Whitetail Hunter]".
Old August 5, 2014, 07:17 PM   #31
HKFan9

I got to shoot the 783 with the Remington guys before it hit shelves. It was kind of funny when we sat down with them to go over the rifle... same barrel threads and nut system as a Savage... even brought the man who designed Savage's accu-trigger in to design their version of it (so they told me). The first thing I asked was if it was set to replace the 770 and they told me no, which I in turn, scoffed at. When they asked me why I didn't like the 770 I let them have it, but my biggest complaint of the 770 was the bolts that seem to stick in the action no matter what, my biggest gripe with any bolt gun.

The rep nearly almost threw the 783 in my lap and told me to try the bolt.... for an economy rifle, the bolt if VERY smooth, which I liked. The stock isn't as cheap as a 770 or Savage Axis.

Out on the range the rifles shot fine. The triggers were nothing to write home about, and nothing wrong with them either. Overall it is a solid built entry level hunting rifle. Much like the Ruger American which is a great rifle for the money. I am planning on picking up a Ruger American to have a knock around hunting rifle when the weather is bad, to save my Kimber's and Sako's the trouble.
Old August 6, 2014, 12:00 AM   #32
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKFan9
I got to shoot the 783 with the Remington guys before it hit shelves. It was kind of funny when we sat down with them to go over the rifle... same barrel threads and nut system as a Savage... even brought the man who designed Savage's accu-trigger in to design their version of it (so they told me).
So they told you a bald faced lie. The trigger is the trigger Marlin designed for the X7 and is mechanically different than Savage's Accu-Trigger. The 783 and the X7 are made in the same factory and save for the shapes of parts (like the stock and receiver) are nearly the same gun.