The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 26, 2011, 11:22 AM   #1
praetorian97

What is this Guage?

What is this Guage? What does it do? Worth the buy?

Old May 26, 2011, 11:57 AM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

It is a headspace guage. The headspace Gage is used for measuring the case-head to the datum line on the case shoulder to allow proper brass resizing for a precise fit with the rifle chamber. It is up to you how accurate you want your ammunition. I use it for my .243 so I dont push the shoulder back too much. I like a snug fit in the chamber.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old May 26, 2011, 12:12 PM   #3
F. Guffey

The tool pictured is an add-on to a dial caliper for use as a comparator as in comparing one measurement with another, measure first, fire and measure again or set the tool up with a gage/standard, I make my own version, my version cost nothing, and does not take up space, this cuts down on traveling weight, I make those tools out of anything handy, hanging on the wall, laying on the bench or packed away in the tool box.

The designer of the tool said he spent a lot of time, put a lot of thought into the function and design of the tool. I did not say "Me too" I did not invent anything, I did not design anything I just picked up a tool that has the same function and used it for another purpose, I could have said I check head space three different ways without a go, no or beyond gage, in my short life I have had one very accomplished gunsmith ask 'how?'

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; May 27, 2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old May 26, 2011, 03:27 PM   #4
praetorian97

Ah. Found this....

http://www.inlandshooters.net/forum/...d74ed0a29fd314
Old May 26, 2011, 04:02 PM   #5
wogpotter

That is absolutely NOT a headspace gauge. Do not rely on measurements from it for headspacing, or checking headspace. It is a headspace comparitor. This is a headspace gauge:

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/Pr...19223464_1.jpg

The gauge comes in 3 parts (+ the dial caliper).
One insert allows measuring from the cartridge base to the bullet at the diameter it is by caliber. This is done to check how far off the lands of a barrel the bullet is seated.
The other insert allows the case to be compared to a fired case to allow offsetting the resizing die by a measured amount.

Is it worth it? Maybe.
If you have a yen for & the equipment to support, a really accurate (sub MOA) rifle its probably worth it to both set up the brass just a hair shy of the chamber dimensions which you've measured from once-fired factory brass. This ensures 100% reliable chambering with minimum deviation from a perfect fit in the chamber.

Once you have that established you set up a test with the projectile of choice using the stand off from the lands instead of just OAL to find the "sweet spot" that load likes for even more accuracy.

Its a fine tuning tool for that little extra bit of accuracy.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Last edited by wogpotter; May 26, 2011 at 04:11 PM.