The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 21, 2001, 04:43 AM   #1
notbubba

10ga. Auto

A guy I work with wants a 10ga. semi-auto shotgun.

What would you fine well informed folks recommend?

Is he going to have to spend alot over a grand?
Old June 21, 2001, 08:27 AM   #2
Bud1

A NIB Remington SP-10 will run right around $1000. They are HEAVY, but just the ticket for late season high-flying geese.

Browning also makes a 10 gauge auto, but I am not as impressed with them as I am with the Remington as far as durability.

I forgot to mention that several of my shotgunning buddies are waterfowl guides. I base a lot of my opinion on my and their experience.
Old June 21, 2001, 08:38 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I know some waterfowl guides also, on Md's Eastern Shore. Popular guns with them include the Ithaca 10 ga autos, the older version of what Remington offers, but most parts are not interchangeable. Perhaps your buddy can locate a used one. I know just one guy with the Rem 10, last I heard no probs. I believe the owner of that one uses it for waterfowl and turkey.

I've shot a coupla Ithacas, but not extensively. While it's one bignheavy load to carry(Around 11 lbs!), it balances and swings nicely.They come with sling studs for a reason.And, felt recoil was a lot less than a standard 12 with a barnburner 3" mag load.

IMO, a 10ga auto is a specialized tool for long range,steel shot, rather than a GP shotgun. Secondary uses,turkey and big heavy buck loads for those who cannot use slugs....

They are fun to shoot. Try a few reloads with say, 1 3/4 oz of 7 1/2 shot on handthrown clays and enjoy....
Old June 21, 2001, 11:57 PM   #4
www.glock19.com

I have had good luck with my Ithaca Mag 10 for 15 years or so you can pick um up used for $500 or less.
They got a rep for being fragile but I have shot the snot out of mine with no problems Maybe I was just lucky?
Old June 26, 2001, 06:31 AM   #5
Kilrain

I must agree with Glock 19. I have an Ithaca Mag 10 and have zero problems with it. I believe you can find them for around $500.00 used, about half the cost of a Remington SP10. BTW, the SP10 is based on the Mag 10. As a matter of fact, Remington bought the design from Ithaca, at least that is what Ithaca claims.
Old June 26, 2001, 12:05 PM   #6
MikeS

Pump as a option

I know this thread is concerned with recommending a semi-auto, but I was wondering why a 10ga pump such as the one made by
Browning (new, at half the cost of it's auto) would not be a viable alternative. Thanks for any comments.
Old June 26, 2001, 12:20 PM   #7
Kobra

I have handled a SP-10 and a Gold 10Ga at the local gunstore and I think I prefer the Gold 10Ga. However I know no one that owns one to base an opinion on......
Old June 27, 2001, 03:40 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

MikeS, Brister compared shooting any 10 ga Mag other than the Ithaca as "Being in a car wreck".

Recoil verges on that of the 600 Nitro Express.
Old July 1, 2001, 09:04 PM   #9
greentimber

I used a Gold 10 exclusively for 5 waterfowl seasons from TN, AR, MS to Canada. I had zero problems. This is subjective, of course, but the Browning has the best feel to it IMO. It fit me much better than the others.

I had the Browining pump also. Once I shot the Gold 10, I sold the pump. It is well worth the extra $$.