The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 5, 2000, 01:26 PM   #1
Lightsped

I have a new Mossberg 590A1, and it seems the stock it came with is too long. I am having to stretch my arm just a bit too far when holding the forearm. It doesn't feel correct or comfortable.
My dad has a 870 Wingmaster and his stock fits me perfectly. His stock is about a inch shorter than mine.
What are my options in getting my 590A1 to fit me better? No, I am not going to be cutting the stock as I am very particular about how my guns look.
Thanks
Old December 5, 2000, 02:24 PM   #2
CMOS

Sorry, cut your stock.

I **good* gunsmith, that is properly equipped, can easily cut the stock and attach some type of butt pad that will look as good as new.

Having a shotgun properly sized will make a huge difference in your shooting skills. Been there, done that.

CMOS
Old December 5, 2000, 03:06 PM   #3
Jeff, CA

Which buttstock does it have on it now? If it's the adult-sized (LOP about 14"), swap it for the bantam (LOP 13", with grip area a little closer to the trigger). The only problem (if it's a problem) is the bantam is black-painted wood rather than synthetic. The recoil pad is cheap and hard, too, but that's easily remedied.

Old December 5, 2000, 04:26 PM   #4
Lightsped

Yeah, my 590A1 currently has the original Mossberg black synthetic stock on it. I'd like to keep the stock synthetic instead of wood.
Are there any aftermarket stocks being made for the 590A1 that would look original?
Is there such thing as a thinner recoil pad? Would that be a wise move?
Old December 5, 2000, 04:28 PM   #5
nedfig

it's easy as falling off a log. Give it a try. The worst that can happen is you have to buy a new $30 stock. Other wise you'll have to take it to a smith and have him do it.
Old December 6, 2000, 07:58 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Lightsped, do whatever it takes to get your shotgun fitting properly. And in this case, that shouldn't be much.

By the Holy Writ of Gene Hill,etc, my stocks run a little short. I shoot the standard 14 1/4" 870 stock fine, tho I'm SUPPOSED to shoot about a 14 3/4-15" one. The Youth Express 870 20 ga I got for the kids has a 12 1/2" stock, and I shoot it OK, tho the gun doesn't hit as high as I like. But, if I go to about a 15 1/4" stock, only a little long by the formula, my shooting goes to heck.

Suggestion....

MAKE SURE YOUR SHOTGUN IS UNLOADED, then check it again. In a room with no ammo in it, stand as you would ready to mount the shotgun.Pick a spot on the wall, TV or whatever, and bring to gun to mount w/o taking your eyes off the spot you picked.Now, look at the sights. If no adjustment is needed to bring your aiming point and your sights together, your shotgun fits you. Otherwise, adjust things until they do.

Now, case up your prize, and go shoot a few patterns. If
POA and POI are close, you're all set. If not, work with it.

I've seen few folks that were good shots who A, didn't pay much attention to stock fit,and B, didn't pattern.
Old December 7, 2000, 08:05 AM   #7
Lightsped

Well, Dave, I took your advice. I went home found a aiming point on a wall and riased my shotgun to that point. I didn't have to adjust my head, shoulders, stance or anything. The aiming point came right into view.
I still feel like my arm holding the forearm of the gun is stretched a bit too much. I may be wrong though.
How far away should I be reaching to hold the forearm of the gun?
Thanks
Old December 7, 2000, 08:33 AM   #8
K80Geoff

forearm

Perhaps you are reaching too far forward because the balance of the gun is towards the front, in other words the gun is muzzle heavy. You might try putting some weight into the stock to bring the balance further towards the rear. Sometimes muzzle heavy guns feel awkward because of the weight imbalance. The gun should balance between the hands for the most comfortable fit.

If everything else about the fit is correct except for the feeling that you have to hold the forearm too far forward, this might cure the problem. Pumps tend to be muzzle heavy. Brownells and others sell mercury filled recoil reducers that are designed to fit in the stock, they often add enough weight to correct the balance of the gun. Or you could use lead shot in a bag placed in the hollow of the stock.

Geoff Ross
Old December 7, 2000, 10:57 AM   #9
nedfig

longer forearm

Lightsped,

I have the same problem with my 500. It seems like when your holding the SG at firing position, you've got your left arm stretched out past the muzzle. I've learned to adjust to it. Another option is to get the long forearm that reaches back about 2 inches. Look at the 835 and you'll see what I mean. I have been thinking about getting the longer forearm for my 500.
Old December 7, 2000, 12:02 PM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

What we used to teach is to hold the forearm where it felt natural to you. A farther forward hold can compensate for a short stock and a less forward hold can make up for a long one a little. I hold fairly forward myself, but I've long arms and a thick chest.

Geoff has a good idea there. Try a bit of weight on the butt end and see how it feels and swings.Best part is, it's cheap and easily reversable.

"Tactical" shotguns with extended mags and lights are oft very badly balanced, IMO, and a little more weight at the rear is invaluable...

Hope this helps...