The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 20, 2002, 01:45 PM   #1
jrsower

Pro gun license plate? Does it make sense?

Wasn't really sure where to put this, but since I'm primarily interested in handgun names, thought It'd go here...if not, sorry.

I'm thinking about getting a personalized plate for my truck. I was thinking about Glock 36 or HK P7M8 or RKBA.

Here's my question: as a CCL holder, would this be foolish?

I originally thought it did, kind of like I'd be advertising that I'm carrying, but then thought that nobody but another enthusiast would know what it meant anyway. (With the possible exception of the Glock 36 plate.)

What do you guys think?
Old September 20, 2002, 01:55 PM   #2
jmlv

If you only travel in gun friendly states

it should'nt be a problem. I work in UN-GUN -FRIENDLY NJ where the local LEO are gun haters of the highest order. It simply does'nt pay to advertise that I even know what a gun is let alone that I collect them. even NRA stickers here are a reason to "find a reason" to search your vehicle. I for one do not want to have to explain to the nice officer that my glock 17(for example)is not an assult weapon becouse it only has 10 round magazines with it. Not the 17 rounders with which it made NJ assult weapons list. {true story: I was told by NJ State Police firearms officer in West trenton that Yes I could buy a glock 17 with a factory letter stating it only came from the factory with 10 round magazines. He also told me that I would have to keep this letter with the gun and take it with me every time I took the gun from the house to prove it was'nt an assult weapon. I desided it was'nt worth the hassle)
MOLON LABE!
Old September 20, 2002, 02:04 PM   #3
70-101

I Am Sure,

The antis would like you to think it's foolish.
Old September 20, 2002, 02:07 PM   #4
Drjones

I personally would not do that.

It could encourage someone to break into your vehicle in hopes of finding a gun.

IMO, its similar to the gays with their rainbow stickers. I do NOT have a problem with gays, and have several very close gay friends, but I do not have a "straight" sticker on my car.

I think stuff like that is just asking for trouble.

OTOH, true that its highly unlikely that only pro-gunners would get the meaning. ('cept for the Glock plate!)

My two cents...
Old September 20, 2002, 03:30 PM   #5
larryw

I see no problem with it.

I have an NRA Lifer sticker on my car and that's really no different from a guy I know with a "GUN FAN" plate.

I'm proud to be a gun owner in CA. And I enjoy showing people that gun owner's are, contrary to the crap they get from the media, responsible, courteous and safe (drivers and otherwise).

But if you drive like a jerk, make sure to plaster your car with Handgun Control/Brady Bunch stickers.
Old September 20, 2002, 03:34 PM   #6
Green Republican

I saw that someone has the online screen name of "May Piece Be With You". That'd make a good bumper sticker, I think.
Old September 20, 2002, 03:39 PM   #7
OF

Don't let 'em scare you off. It's only offensive if your a complete moron blissninny. Go for it! Just be aware that when you advertise, you become an ambassador. Be on your best behavior in that car...

We had a thread a while back on good license plate ideas. How about '45 CAL'?

- Gabe

Last edited by OF; September 20, 2002 at 04:20 PM.
Old September 20, 2002, 03:42 PM   #8
ehenz

ILUV45S

Is what I read, so I figured I spark a conversation.

Me: "I bet you have a lot of 1911s?"

Guy: "What"

Me: "Your licence plate"

Guy: "Yea, I collect .45s"

Me: "So do I"

Guy: "I have over 6000"

Me: "thats quite a collection"

Guy: "yea, but that includes E-Ps too"

Record Albums

Re; Original question: I think that is a good idea, but everytime you get stopped you might get harrasssed (or so I have been told about my NRA sticker in my window).
Old September 20, 2002, 04:17 PM   #9
OutLaw

I wouldn't do it,For more than 1 reason,Like someone might break into your vehicle looking for weapons,May be followed home and robbed,Or even have your vehicle vandalised for being pro-gun.
Old September 20, 2002, 04:24 PM   #10
OF

While I suppose the possibility exists that you could be vandalised or broken into for being pro-gun, I doubt it's worth worrying over.

I've never had a negative comment about my NRA sticker, my Molon Labe TFL shirts or anything else. In fact, it's just the opposite. People take their masks off when they realize they're in the company of a fellow shooter. You can make friends that way.

As for scaring the ninnys, who cares. Let 'em be scared. That's their natural state anyway.

- Gabe
Old September 20, 2002, 04:36 PM   #11
Lavan

Reverse Psychology

Get ANTIGUN......or.....NOGUN4ME......or ......GUNSRBAD......etc. and start cutting in on EVERYONE and honking and flipping.

Old September 20, 2002, 04:53 PM   #12
ronin308

I have a Mossy Oak front license plate and an NRA sticker on my evil "baby whale killing" SUV. I don't mind advertising that I'm a gunowner because I am safe and courteous on the road. Also, if someone breaks into my truck they would get some good CDs and a jumper cable...but no guns. I don't like to be discreet about my gunownership. I don't believe in hiding myself.
Old September 20, 2002, 05:08 PM   #13
wolfman97

FWIW,

Back in the 1960s, UCLA did some research on what effect bumper stickers with a political message (that wasn't likely to be favored by cops) have on the likelihood of getting stopped by a cop. They sent out two identical cars, with drivers instructed to be extremely careful to follow all the rules of the road. One car had bumper stickers re Black Panthers, against the war in Nam, etc.

The car without the bumper stickers never got stopped. The car with the bumper stickers got so many tickets that they ran out of money for the research and had to cancel it early.

YMMV.
Old September 20, 2002, 05:38 PM   #14
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

**** em ........get your plate. Look at it this way it may be bait by getting some worthless POS to break in where you can pop a cap on him.
Old September 20, 2002, 05:48 PM   #15
Foxy

One of my friends has 45ACP for his lisence plate.. I have never heard him saying anything about any problems he's ever had with it.
Old September 20, 2002, 05:51 PM   #16
70-101

You can't compare America today to California of the 60s.When this country was at war with it's youth, and it's minorities.When every cop and soldier was a target for ridicule. It's a different world today than it was 30+ years ago. Get your pro gun license, if you choose . If there is Gay Pride,why can't there be Gun Pride?
Old September 20, 2002, 05:52 PM   #17
Steve Smith

The back of my supposed "liberal soccermom suburbia-mobile" Subaru Outback has the following on it:

NRA Certified Instructor sticker
NRA Life Member sticker
License plate holder that says, "My other auto is in AR-15"

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old September 20, 2002, 05:58 PM   #18
Lavan

Reverse Psychology

Get......NOGUN4ME.....ANTIGUN.....GUNZRBAD.....BANGUNS....etc. and then start cutting EVERYONE off, honking at em, an flippin.

Old September 20, 2002, 06:06 PM   #19
dZ

i am currently debating the merits of:
MLN LBE
Old September 20, 2002, 06:59 PM   #20
pogo2

I guess I'm conservative, because I don't have any vanity plates or bumper stickers on my car. It looks plain vanilla from the back, with the standard issue license plate and nothing else. I even replaced the auto dealer license plate frame with a plain black one. I like to be low profile on the road and not provoke the many road rage idiots out there.

I also favor white cars, because that is the color of innocence and purity, like a wedding dress. I'm sending a subliminal message to cops who might stop me.
Old September 20, 2002, 07:36 PM   #21
70-101

My License Plates In Virginia Say.

Vietnam Veteran 70-101
Old September 20, 2002, 08:44 PM   #22
Jeff51

My lic plate has GLOCK30 for its number and I have had no problem!
Old September 20, 2002, 09:00 PM   #23
CAP1

I have avoided putting a bumper sticker on my vehicle from the folks who taught the safety course required to get a ccw permit for the very reason NOT to advertise. It might deter a BG somewhere, but also just as likely to encourage some nut out there.
My .02.
CAP
Old September 20, 2002, 10:12 PM   #24
freeride21a

go for it, im sure half the people wouldnt know what a glock even is off the bat.

it should be sg-551 but was just messing around.
Old September 20, 2002, 11:19 PM   #25
dial911

How about IM4NRA, or FLLAUTO, maybe HLOWPNT. I don't know, I just have some state generated crud.