The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 5, 2015, 03:27 PM   #1
Ignition Override

How would you describe the Makarov's recoil?

My memory of the Russian is not clear at all, although it seemed less harsh than friends' Polish P-64
(only chambered in 9x18). But how much better?
The recoil of my PPK in .380 is not bad: a fair bit better than the P-64, though stronger than the Sig 232.

Does anybody here have experience with both the actual Mak and one of these other types listed?
If I continue to have only one reliable type of ammo which avoids frequent FTFeed in the PPK, might consider an actual Russian/Bulg. Mak as a secondary carry gun.
Old March 5, 2015, 03:32 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The PPK is a lighter gun but it is in .380, which is a less powerful round than the 9x18 Makarov, so its recoil is less. I would describe the recoil of the Makarov (and other pistols of the same weight in the same caliber) as "sharp".

None of the guns in that general class have enough recoil to be bothersome or to prevent good control for subsequent shots.

FWIW, the PP and PPK Walthers were designed around the .32 ACP; in .380. they are sensitive to bullet design. I recommend that you stick to round-nose FMJ; if you want to try other bullets, make sure the gun will fire at least 200 rounds with no problems before using them for carry.

Jim

Last edited by James K; March 5, 2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old March 5, 2015, 03:47 PM   #3
Doyle

I have both a Makarov and a P-64. Recoil with the Mak is negligible to me (but then again, I also shoot a .44 mag). Recoil with the P-64 is a little more noticible mainly because of the lighter weight and smaller grip surface area.
Old March 5, 2015, 04:28 PM   #4
GyMac

I have 3 Maks in 9mm Mak and a Russian Commercial in .380. The recoil of the 9mm Maks is noticeably "sharper" than the .380, but not uncomfortable. The 9mm Makarov's "kick" is greater than the PPK in .380.
Old March 5, 2015, 04:28 PM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
"Noticeable"
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 5, 2015, 04:30 PM   #6
WVsig

They are snappy due to its blowback design. Similar to guns like the CZ82, Beretta 81 series guns, Walthers PPK etc...

There is more felt recoil than a breech locked 9mm Para even thought the 9mm Para is a more powerful round.

It will be similar to the guns you already have. Others seem to think it is snappier than 380 but I do not find it much different.
Old March 5, 2015, 04:40 PM   #7
Metalboy

Mine is only similar, CZ 82, and it's name is Lady's gun.
Old March 5, 2015, 07:46 PM   #8
MarkGlazer

I agree with WVSig. However, if you re-load, you can control the recoil. The Mak is a great gun, easy to care for and very accurate.

Have fun. Be safe.

Good luck.
Old March 5, 2015, 07:47 PM   #9
GyMac

I would add that, when attempting to duplicate 9mm Makarov recoil with .380 loads in my Russian Commercial, I reach max before getting near the recoil of factory 9mm Mak. The .380 (from a Mak) seems very tame in comparison.
Old March 6, 2015, 12:13 AM   #10
michael t

Their not really all that much difference in the 2 calibers . So recoil about the same. Use a Corbon or Buffalo Bore and their pretty equal. Commies always want to be just a little different than every one else.
Old March 6, 2015, 10:39 AM   #11
Willie D

I feel like the shape of the blackstrap, along with the added weight of the slide makes my Makarov a bit more pleasurable to shoot than my wife's PPK.

Although the PPK is lighter to carry, has better sights, and has a less obtrusive safety lever.
Old March 6, 2015, 11:17 AM   #12
Onward Allusion

I've had the real Mak, the civilian hi cap version, & the CZ82. All are fairly mild as far as blowbacks 9x18 or 380's are concerned. The CZ82 is actually on the light side to me. I never owned the PPK but I can imagine the recoil would be about the same based on the slightly softer caliber and lighter weight of the PPK. The P-64 would probably be pretty snappy due to the size of the pistol.
Old March 6, 2015, 11:35 AM   #13
tallball

I have a Russian commercial model in 380. It is somewhat snappy, but not too bad.
Old March 6, 2015, 11:58 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

I really don't notice the recoil of my East German Mak at all.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 6, 2015, 12:27 PM   #15
Model12Win

Not too bad, it's a Soviet .380 +P+, not bad, but could be better.
Old March 6, 2015, 04:24 PM   #16
Limnophile

I have a CZ 82 and a CZ 83 chambered in .380 Auto. I can't discern a difference in recoil between the two. Using Federal American Eagle ammo, the 9 Makarov has a muzzle momentum only 2% greater than the .380 Auto. The two pistols are essentially identical, so it's not surprising that recoil is similar.
Old March 6, 2015, 10:00 PM   #17
Kosmo K

Snappy
Old March 6, 2015, 10:29 PM   #18
Metalboy

Snappy, or whippersnapper. Looking good, or good looking......
Old March 6, 2015, 10:49 PM   #19
qwiksdraw

Fun!
Old March 6, 2015, 11:16 PM   #20
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Orange, with hints of cinnamon.

OK, OK, I'll be serious. I feel more recoil, but the character of it is more pleasant than the PPK. I'd describe both as being snappy, but the backstrap and grip shape of the PPK get unpleasant after a few rounds.

My biggest problem with the Makarov is remembering to hold my weak thumb over strong. If my strong thumb rides up, that safety lever will tear into my first knuckle something terrible.
Old March 6, 2015, 11:43 PM   #21
TunnelRat

On my CZ 82 it feels like a sharp jolt to the web of my hand. It's very noticeable, but not at all painful and I can shoot 100 rds in a sitting without it bothering me. Blowbacks are what they are, however.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 7, 2015, 06:48 AM   #22
Ibmikey

Of the many 9x18 pistols that I have, Mak's, P64's , PA 63, CZ 82's etc. the only ones with objectionable recoil are the P64's-- they just make this old hand wince in pain after a mag or so. I like the cartridge and in my opinion of East Block firearms the CZ 82 is the best designed and reliable of all. A bit big for CC but a heck of a shooter.
Old March 7, 2015, 09:21 AM   #23
Deaf Smith

Due to the horrific DA triggers on the PP/PPK and P64 pistols I'd pick the Mak, especially the East German made one's, any day if the week.

Yes the PPK is more finicky in .380 (I've owned several over the years) and the Mak does kick a bit more. But the fmj 9x18 is more blunt than the .380 fmj and a bit faster. JHPs are made for the Mak to, just not as many as the .380.

So if the PPK gives you any more problems, hunt down a EG Makarov. I have one and it is excellent.

Deaf
Old March 7, 2015, 12:28 PM   #24
Doyle

Quote:
Due to the horrific DA triggers on the PP/PPK and P64 pistols I'd pick the Mak,
DA trigger on the P-64 is only bad with the factory main spring. A 2-minute $5 spring replacement makes it as smooth as any DA gun I've ever shot.
Old March 7, 2015, 05:17 PM   #25
steves2

I have an East German Makarov, and several Walther PPK/Ss. I haven't shot them side by side, but the recoil is similar, and not unpleasant. My Polish P-64s however feel like they are going to split my thumb from the rest of my hand!