The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 23, 2010, 05:39 PM   #1
Field

how/where/what is your press mounted on?

i had this big wood table that i put together with a 3/16 steel plate on top and on bottom that i had my hornady LNLAP mounted to. but the thing is i made this table myself and im not really a craftsman and the press would shake around a little bit, cause odd problems and case feeder occasional malfunctions.

i bought 20ft of 2x2 1/8'' thick steel tube and a little 12''x12'' inch 3/8'' plate and cut it and welded it up and screwed some of those nice adjustable rubber feet on the bottom of it and i got a nice 32 inch high 12 inch wide little steel bench that my press is on. other than pushing the lever for pimer seating this puppy doesnt move around much and its quite a bit more pleasurable making some ammo now adays. that and the case feeder more or less works just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FieldBoy111
Old April 23, 2010, 06:19 PM   #2
bobelk99

My bench is 30x48.

2x6 top covered in 3/4 plywood and flooring vinyl. Legs are two 2x4 with cross braces between the 2x4s. Back is also cross braced. All wood is surplus oak from some barn construction project.

Top is lagged to 4x4s, and legs are lagged to top and to the 4x4s

Weighs about 140#.

Whatever is attached does not move.
Old April 23, 2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Slamfire

Bench from Harbor Freight tools. Maybe $20.00. Cut plywood and bolts from Home Depot maybe $10.00. Two by Four replacing cheap cross bar, free. Found by curb.

I used to use a Black and Decker workmate bench, but it was so sturdy and well built I decided to use that as a portable work bench instead of the cheap Chinese bench.

Which works fine in this application.

Old April 23, 2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Here's my recently constructed reloading bench in my recently constructed reloading room:

The bench is constructed to be extremely rugged. It is supported by 2X4s attached to walls on three sides by 3" deck screws, with a 4th 2X4 across the front which is screwed to the two against the wall as well as being further supported by 2X4s down to the floor. The work surface is a piece of 3/4" Oak plywood which is screwed to the 2X4s with 2" screws. On top of that is a piece of laminated 3/4" Oak plywood which is Liquid Nailed to the bottom piece and then screwed down with 2 1/2" screws. The total work surface is 6 feet X 2 feet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Press.jpg (31.5 KB, 1011 views)
Old April 23, 2010, 08:38 PM   #5
Bamashooter

me and my brother built mine. its 5ft. long, 4ft.wide, shelf on the bottom, old set of very well built bookcases sitting all the way back on my bench. leaves me with about 2.5x5 ft of actual bench. sitting all my stuff in the bookcases really free's up the bench for cleaning guns or whatever. all the wood was in my shed so it only cost me time. i think it will still be here when im gone.
Old April 23, 2010, 08:47 PM   #6
Lavid2002

A desk I built with 2x4's, 4x4's and some plywood. Its held down with a couple heavy duty wood bolts with the hex heads.
Old April 23, 2010, 09:07 PM   #7
mongoose33

Mine is on a half of a solid-core door. The bench is anchored to the wall behind with a couple of angle-irons. Very solid.

Old April 23, 2010, 10:18 PM   #8
Rembrandt

Use a recessed rail system (80-20), presses are mounted to PVC plate. Presses and accessories can be swapped out in seconds. Rock solid, no movement or flex in mounts.

Old April 23, 2010, 11:38 PM   #9
ScottRiqui

I used a bench I already had built, with a 3/4" MDF top. Worked fine when I was just reloading pistol ammo, but resizing rifle brass was more than the bench could take, and the MDF tore. I still want to use the bench, but I'm doubling up the MDF on the top tomorrow.
Old April 24, 2010, 01:37 AM   #10
Adrian

Being pretty new to reloading and having the usual apartment-dweller problems, I mounted my press to one of Sinclair's wooden press stands. When I'm working with it, I can set up my scale and loading block on the table next to wherever I'm working. Sinclair says to clamp it down, but I've found that with my press (a Co-Ax, admittedly) it really doesn't move much one way or the other.
Matt.25:40
Old April 24, 2010, 08:13 AM   #11
N.H. Yankee

Welded a piece of 4 inch steel tube to a 15 inch wheel rim for the base and a 6inchX6inch piece of plate metal for mounting the press and powder measure. Very mobile and doesn't take up too much space.
Old April 24, 2010, 09:24 AM   #12
brickeyee

All the presses are mounted on their own piece of 2x8 with steel angle on the ends for more uniform pressure from the F-clamps used to hold them on the bench.

I do not have enough room to keep multiple presses set up on the bench at the same time.

The bench tops are strips of 2x lumber ripped to 1.5 wide and rotated to quarter sawn for glue up between pieces of AC plywood.
Stable and solid.
Old April 24, 2010, 07:42 PM   #13
Lost Sheep

Simplest that I know of

I took a 30" 2"x6", drilled two (countersunk) holes through it and belted it to an end table. My RCBS Jr worked fine, and when I switched to a Rockchucker, that worked fine, too. With the high leverage of the Rockchucker, very little pressure on the handle worked just fine (the end table didn't fall over). Sometimes I would open the drawer and just wedge the 2x6 in it. It made the press lean back (almost at the angle of the Sinclair shown in Adrian's post).

When done loading, I would just take the whole assembly (2x6 and press) and put it in a footlocker, pack the rest of the accessories around it and store it in the closet.

Now, a folding workbench serves in place of the end table, but that same 2x6 still serves just as well, 30 years later. But it is accompanied by another 2x6 with two progressives mounted - one on each end.

Lost Sheep
Old April 24, 2010, 08:02 PM   #14
wvshooter

I had an old typewriter table, well I said it was old, about 36" wide and 24" deep. I fastened a 1/2" thick piece of plywood to the top and mounted my single stage RCBS press over a 10" x 5" x 3/8" piece of mild steel. Very stable.

The table that really deserves mention is the one I built to mount my 8' bending brake. I use the brake to bend thin aluminum sheet which goes into the airplane I am building. The plane will be 24' wingtip to wingtip. Anyway the bending brake has to support three 8' long pieces of 4" angle plus a sizable bending arm welded to one of the pieces of angle. All of the angle is 3/8" stock. I don't know what the total weight is but the table had to be very sturdy to handle it.
Old April 25, 2010, 05:12 PM   #15
ac700wildcat

Peetzakilla, where did you get the red container with the little slide out drawers? I could use something just like that.
Old April 25, 2010, 05:27 PM   #16
TXGunNut

Mine's the NRMA plan bench built many years ago. I've had it over 25 years and it was old when I got it. It's been moved numerous times but it's still solid as can be. Now if it only had that cool rail system....
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old April 25, 2010, 07:06 PM   #17
SPIN2010

Newbie reloader solution

Hey Folks!

Well, for my Dillon 550B apartment mount I used a 24" x 24" piece of 3/4" plywood mounted to the cheapest 60" x 30" folding table they had at wally world. Mounted the plywood square to the table top with 5/8" self tapping six inch long deck bolts (piercing all the way through) and used a couple of 2" x 4" boards as receiver pinch plates to sandwich the table. I cut the 2x4s' so they captured the metal frame of the table between the table top, plywood, and 2x4s' so, it is rock solid and can be disassembled in about 10 mins with a drill. Then I can fold the table and store it all when all torn down.
Old April 25, 2010, 07:30 PM   #18
ZeSpectre

3/4" plywood screwed and glued to pine 2x4 cross pieces and then attached to wall and floor. Of course I have the advantage of having a workshop

Old April 25, 2010, 07:54 PM   #19
TXGunNut

Wish my bench was as neat and clean as the ones in these pics! Three presses, a sizer, a trimmer and a powder measure tend to clutter things up a bit. Sizer actually over on another bench with the drill press and vise. At least a dozen sets of dies, 6-8 loading manuals, three scales, three hand primers, and two dozen boxes of rifle bullets are stashed in the cabinets but brass and bulk pistol bullets must be stored above or below. A large, flat metal box with small compartments keeps my shell holders and other small tools organized but it takes a bit of room as well. Found a missing loading block under a genuine Polaroid camera there just the other day, think I need to clean up a bit?
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 4, 2010, 01:17 AM   #20
BurkGlocker

I mounted my press to an 18" piece of 2x4. I can mount it almost anywhere with a flat surface and sturdy base with a C-clamp. I have been known to take my reloading stuff with me on trips, just in case I decided to go shooting.

BG
Old May 4, 2010, 02:18 AM   #21
zippy13

Like BurkGlocker, I'm not tied down. I have 4 progressive MECs, a Dillon and a sizer/lubricator and none is permanently mounted. They are all on 12" squares of particleboard. A 12 x 24+" particleboard rectangle serves as the base with a section of 1 1/2" ID galv pipe between two floor flanges bolted to the particle board. All you really need is one base and pipe column -- just swap the head units -- and much less costly than Midway's unit. I've reinforced the base board with an additional 12" square that I glued in place before bolting the floor flange.

Old May 4, 2010, 05:56 AM   #22
alloy

Quote:
how/where/what is your press mounted on?
An old door.
Old May 4, 2010, 10:37 AM   #23
jtmckinney

In 1981 and 1982 I was working as an electrician for a company that provided skilled labor for Texas Instruments. We gutted an old laboratory in their Research Building that had been there in use since the very early 1960's. the TI employees could bid on some of the equipment taken out including the work tables all having drawers underneath. A friend at the time placed a bid for me of $5.00 for a 6 foot wide bench in great shape, got it and then handed it over to me. What makes this at least a little interesting is this laboratory was where research was done for the coatings on the visors worn by astronauts when they went into space and could have been where some of the early visors were made. Who knows what else went on in this laboratory. When reloading I bolt my press and case trimmer to it and go to work.

Have a great day,
James
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old May 6, 2010, 04:28 PM   #24
Dave R

My press is mounted to a foot of 2X6, which is clamped to an old desk with a couple of 3" C clamps. The desk has a rool top with cubbys built in. Makes me look like an old time accountant.
Old May 6, 2010, 07:10 PM   #25
oneounceload

Sam's Club sells industrial shelving units called Gorilla Rack, Set side by side, it gives me an 8' long bench. Using 3/4 plywood, cut in half and glued and screwed together, that makes a 1-1/2 inch thick plywood top that is bolted to the shelving unit which is bolted to the wall studs. Doesn't move at all