The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 3, 2009, 09:43 PM   #1
ar15man2009

lee turret press???

hello,

I have finally decided to upgrade to a new press after a couple thousand rounds, and I think i want to go with a lee turret press. I have heard a lot of things about them though and it seems that many people advise against kit and instead insist on the classic cast. I geuss my questions are:

1. Whats is the difference between the 2 presses and which one should I choose?

2.Is there any specific extra items that I need to go with the press?(priming items, and the lee autodisk specifically)

Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks
Old August 3, 2009, 10:34 PM   #2
1SOW

What calibers?

If it's just for tha AR, my experiences won't help you much..
Old August 3, 2009, 10:41 PM   #3
ar15man2009

whoops,completely forgot about the calibers.Thank you for reminding me.

I load mainly for 38/357,40S&W,9mm,30 carbine,30-30 winchester,223.
But also I load 30/06 and 270, however that is usually only 10-20 rounds at a time and I hand trickle anyways so I dont think i would use the turret for them very often if ever.
Old August 4, 2009, 12:45 AM   #4
Kyo

i am new to reloading and I picked up my first press recently. It is the 4 whole delux turret press and I love it to death. It is very simple to adjust, and really easy instructions. I haven't loaded live rounds yet, because I have been doing adjustments with bullet seating and such, but its really nice, and its very easy. I can't keep saying that enough. I used to think reloading was a b**** but not anymore.

oh, and I just use the priming tool that it came with. you can set up an auto-prime to it though.
Old August 4, 2009, 01:24 AM   #5
Hook686

I personally think the Lee Classic Turret Press is a no brainer. I have never had any problem with mine, it is easy to ameliorate an mistake, and I can visually examine each step to keep me safety conscious. I'm content with 100-150 rounds per hour output.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old August 4, 2009, 03:59 AM   #6
Shoney

Kyo wrote
Quote:
the 4 whole delux turret press
You don't mean you got 4 whole presses do you????

Or did you get a 4 hole press????

Sorry! I couldn't resist.

All the posts I have seen recommend the Classic Cast, as it apparently has a better functining design.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old August 4, 2009, 08:28 AM   #7
GeauxTide

Just bought a Lee after I gave my Lyman away. I've found it has more useful leverage and have reloaded several pistol and rifle loads. The real test will be resizing my 7RM cases. I've been using the Lee Autodisk for several years and love it.
Old August 4, 2009, 08:28 AM   #8
Citywaterman

Lee Classic Turret press

I've have the Lee Classic Turret press and I simply love it. It’s easy to use and setup. I can load about 150 rounds (give or take) of good quality ammo (I load .38 special and .357 mag - same dies with minimal change over time) in about an hour. Some say they can load 200 rounds or so, but what's the rush. I'm new to reloading (since Dec 08), so my quality control is high (as it should be) and I only speak with a little experience. A good friend who has been reloading for many years (with his single stage RCBS press) was very impressed with the turret press. I shopped around and found the best deal for Lee products was at KEMPF GUN SHOP (http://www.kempfgunshop.com/). Sue Kempf has a nice kit available (with the stuff you can use) or you can buy everything separately. Excellent customer service after the sale. Their current price for the turret press is $96.95 by itself or the kit for $177.95 (you can upgrade the powder measure to pro and the priming system for an extra $22.00). I suggest getting the deluxe 4 die set, the pro auto disk powder measure, the Lee safety prime system and get the auto disk riser if you plan to use the primer system. You may want to consider an extra 4 hole turret if you load multiple calibers. The investment cost is low in comparison to other brands and to this point, my turret press is working flawlessly. Citywaterman
Old August 4, 2009, 09:56 AM   #9
Sevens

I'm sure MANY may not agree, but here we go:
I don't think a Turret press is a great upgrade from a single stage press.

Rather, I think if you have NO press, you should skip the single stage and buy a turret from the get-go. But if you have a single stage and you desire more speed, save your turret money, dig the couch cushions, skip the restaurant meals and buy the generic toilet paper and use that savings to fund a real progressive press.

No doubt, none whatsoever that die swaps are quicker and easier with a turret press. No argument from me on that front.

But the real increase in production comes when that long throw of a press handle can be used to complete more than one single operation. And no turret press speeds that up from a single stage. Still one ram, one shell holder, and one result from a handle throw.

On a progressive, each long throw of the handle can do 3, 4, or 5 different things at once. That uses your arm muscle and energy to do 3, 4 or 5 times the amount of work. No turret press does that.

Think about it before you freak out and respond. It makes sense.

A turret press IS an upgrade over a single stage. But it's like getting the V6 in your Pontiac Grand Am instead of the 4-cylinder. Either way, it's a Grand Am. To get Corvette performance, you need to buy a GTO. (was trying to stick with a Pontiac kinda theme, there... )

If I was just starting right now? Turret press. If my home were burglarized and I needed to rebuild my bench? Turret press. If the green grabber showed up and ate my Classic Cast, I'd replace it with a Classic Turret.

But upgrade? Spend money on something to make life easier and speed up production? I wouldn't spend it on a turret press!
Old August 4, 2009, 10:37 AM   #10
dsv424

As CityWaterman said, the Lee Classic Turret is the better press, also as I shopped around and was looking for the best deal I found what Kempf's offered was the best choice for the money. It includes everything you need except a scale(which was good for me since I already had a scale). I have had zero problems with this press and changing to different calibers is a snap. You can get around 200 rounds an hour if you want but your quality may suffer going that fast. I usually average about 90 to 120 which is fine for me. The best way to set it up would be to get a four hole turret for each caliber you load for and have the dies already installed and calibrated. This way you just pull the turret when changing calibers.
One other thing I would recommend is to purchase the 4 die set for all your calibers. This way your always doing a factory crimp at the last station instead of combining it with the seating die. It just seems easier this way and produces better ammo at least in my way of thinking.
Hope this helps somewhat.
Old August 4, 2009, 10:49 AM   #11
Sport45

The classic turret is a great press. I use mine for my rifle cartridges and magnum pistol rounds. I don't use the auto index, but instead load in batches of 50 from a load block.

I use a progressive (550b) for loading bulk pistol cartridges.

They are both very good presses for what they do.

Last edited by Sport45; August 4, 2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: snuffy's right, I took the "cast" out of the press name.
Old August 4, 2009, 12:31 PM   #12
snuffy

The classic turret is the way to go, but don't confuse people by calling it classic cast turret. It's simply the classic turret. Classic cast is Lee's answer to the RCBS rockchucker, a single stage brute!

Here's a few pics of mine.

That's how I keep the turrets organized. Simple to grab the correct caliber and shell holder, you're ready to load a different caliber in less than 5 minutes.

Here, I'm using the LCT to do a boolit hardness test, using the lee hardness tester. I have the indenter and the microscope mounted in a spare turret, using a spare 45 auto sizer to hold the M-scope.

Another pic of the hardness tester from the top.

Not too good of a pic of the LCT, but it sure shows the billiard ball that Adam N. sent me from over at glock post. He'll supply you with one of them for a small fee. Best one is the #8 ball, so you can say you were behind the 8 ball while loading. Along with the normal confusion,(MESS!) on my loading bench!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 4, 2009, 03:56 PM   #13
dsv424

Snuffy, thats a nice touch with the magnet pen light. I have one of those and I think when I get home I'll do the same thing. My eyes ain't what they used to be. Although if I can I'd like to angle it down to look into the case if it can be done.
Old August 4, 2009, 04:17 PM   #14
CrustyFN

Snuffy what did you put your scope in for your hardness tester to make it sturdy? I just wrapped tape around mine and screwed it in but would like to beef it up a little.

Yes I got my three ball from the same person. Also one on the sizer.

Classic turret is the way to go. Taller, stronger and keeps everything cleaner.
Old August 5, 2009, 12:17 AM   #15
NWPilgrim

I upgraded from a Lee Challenger single stage to Classic Turret a couple of years ago. Love it. I load several auto pistol and revolver cartridges, as well as .223, .308, .30-06 and other rifle cartridges.

Get both upgrade options for the Kempf package. Get the 4-die sets for handguns so you can crimp separately from the bullet seating step. You will want the Universal powder through die (I think that is the name) that allows you to use the Pro Auto Disk Measure with rifle cartridges. The handgun expander die is powder through design, but the rifle die sets do not have a powder through capability so you want the additional die that you can move from turret to turret when loading rifle.

The Double Disk kit for the Auto Disk Measure allows you to not only get twice as much powder through it but also combine two disks for much finer steps at all powder levels. A single disk is fine for handgun cartridges. The double disk will get you up to .223 case levels. For .308 and other large rifle cases you can just double charge each case.

I bought the Perfect Powder Measure for doing rifle cases, but I found I prefer the fixed cavities of the Auto Disk. I would rather fiddle with double disks and have fixed, quickly repeatable powder settings. You still want a scale to calibrate the Disk measure with you particular powders.

I am also trying out the RCBS X-die sizing die for my rifle cases. Using a L.E. Wilson trimmer setup from Sinclair Intnl for case trimming.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison