The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 14, 2009, 08:56 PM   #1
verti89

Father in laws old guns...

My father in law has several guns that were from his father or grandfather and I am trying to get a good bit of info for him.

The first and most interesting piece is a Remington .22 Model 6. It is apparently a single shot but it looks like a piece of metal has been stuck through a hole where the hammer would strike the round. I have never been fortunate enough to see a similar gun but I am assuming you would just load a single shell right there at the back of the barrel and the hammer would just smack down on it. Is this correct?? It is in pretty decent condition other than the small piece of metal that a could pair of pliers could take care of.

The others are a marlin 30/30 Diamond Jubilee commemorative and a springfield model 67 20ga. but neither of these seem like classics so I won't ask for help on those here.
Old March 14, 2009, 09:32 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Remington Model 6 is a falling block action. There is a knob on the breechblock to move it down once the hammer is cocked. There is a firing pin through the block; the hammer hits the rear and the front fires the cartridge. If in doubt, please take the rifle to a gunsmith or someone who is familiar with those old guns, or provide some pictures on here. Please don't take pliers to anything until you know what it is. Also please don't try to fire it unless you are sure how everything works and that all the parts are there.

Those guns are usually not of high value because of extensive use, but in top condition they can bring $800 or so. In average condition but functional, they go for $150-200.

Jim
Old March 14, 2009, 09:54 PM   #3
verti89

yea we won't be doing any pliering ourselves and obviously no firing either thanks for the info