The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 5, 2009, 12:17 AM   #1
scat

45LC substituted powder guestion

I'm out of AA#5, so loading up a couple dozen Hornaday 230gr. XTP, I used the 250gr lead info from my Lee Reloading, 2nd edition and used HS-6 instead. 45LC. I used 9.8grains with a heavy crimp. I noticed recoil was light, accuracy was excellent. Very messy, due to the powder I guess. Has anyone else tried this combination and what were your observations. I was impressed with the accuracy.
Old August 5, 2009, 09:07 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

I've been doing alot of 45 Colt loading lately from cowboy loads to +P+ hunting loads... but have not tried that powder yet... right now Lil Gun is my favorite for hunting loads... still playing with the light loads yet...
Old August 5, 2009, 11:25 AM   #3
scat

I haven't had this 45 very long, in fact my son gave it to me for my birthday. I decided to go all in and reload so that I could shoot practice rounds more affordably, and I'm having a lot of fun trying different loads. This has really been a fun hobby. My loads are for fun...Serious carry loads are factory 225gr. Winchester JHP silvertips. I've found they perform the best when it comes to accuracy. That is why I've posted the question, the accuracy was amazing for the load I used. Better than the silvertips. I figure pressure was down, but velocity was way up. I'm shooting a 4410 Judge, despite what others say, I'm having no problem with accuracy, in fact, I'm rather impressed. I'd like to beef this load up to 11 grain but would like some feedback before doing so. I may try calling Hodgdon for reference.
Old August 5, 2009, 11:35 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

My data shows 11.6 grains of HS-6 as a starting load & 13 grains as a maximum charge in "normal" revolvers
Old August 5, 2009, 01:20 PM   #5
scat

Is that data for the 230gr XTP?
Old August 5, 2009, 02:08 PM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

at 1st glance...I don't see an HS-6 load for 230 grain jacketed bullets... 250 grain cast bullets go from 10.5 grain to 10.5 grain ( minimum load to maximum load )

jacketed bullets are harder to push down the bore... but, the maximum load listed for 250 grain XTP with HS-6 is 10.7 grains...

I'm certainly not recommending even shooting anywhere close to maximum loads in a Taurus ( not trying to bash ), unless shooting through a "Raging" gun, as the "Ragings" are much tougher built than the rest of the line up... however, with the extra freebore a Judge provides ( by also being chambered for .410 ) you are likely to find lower chamber pressures from that freebore than what would be encountered by chambering the same load in a 45 Colt "only" chamber...
Old August 5, 2009, 02:23 PM   #7
scat

That's why I loaded from the 250gr lead specs, to be sure that pressure was kept down, then played it even more conservative on the charge. The results were just more than I could've imagined. The AA#5 is a good set up but I swear I like the HS-6 better. I just wanted to be sure it was safe to increase since I have no source to give me accurate pressures. I can tell by the recoil that pressure was extremely low. My Judge is the 4410KR 6-1/2, evidently an older model, In checking with the powers to be, I was told not to exceed 14000 CUP and it liked 930-975fps range. 255gr max. Which it handles with no problems at all, sweetest shooting 45 I've ever held in my hands, no matter what the load. Never would've thought it.
Old August 5, 2009, 02:59 PM   #8
NWPilgrim

HS-6 and several other powder will work well in the .45 Colt. Unique is a long time standard. Universal, Herco, WW231/HP38, AA#5 are all good.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old August 5, 2009, 03:05 PM   #9
scat

I'm in South Alabama and don't see a lot of Herco but from what I've read, I like. I'll probably order in some and give it a try. I'm speaking of handguns of course!
Old August 5, 2009, 03:36 PM   #10
AlaskaMike

You might like Power Pistol as well. It's burn rate is between Unique and Herco, and it's my favorite powder for a lot of revolver loads.

Mike
Old August 5, 2009, 03:54 PM   #11
tomh1426

I use Trail Boss in all my lighter .45 Colt loads, 5.8 gr under 255 gr cast bullet, very accurate clean load.

Last edited by tomh1426; August 5, 2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old August 5, 2009, 04:12 PM   #12
scat

I've read the firing line a lot in the past and it has proven to be very helpful. I've really enjoyed the feedback thusfar but must signoff for a while. I'm glad I joined up. Be back in a couple of hours, with some research.
Old August 5, 2009, 04:53 PM   #13
Flatbush Harry

Check with Hodgdon's regarding appropriate loads. All of the ammo companies give ballistic and load assistance free. I don't do anything not in the Lyman or bullet manufacturer's manuals...call me a puzzah, but I've never had a problem in 30 years of reloading following my own advice. And HS-6 is in the manuals.

FH
Old August 5, 2009, 05:20 PM   #14
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

What a coincidence! Today I was shooting my favorite load out of my .45 Clt 4" Redhawk: 9 grains of HS-6 behind a 250 grain cast bullet.

I love this load. Recoil is mild and it is ridiculously accurate. At 25 yards I can keep the groups under 3 inches, double action shooting.

When I bump it up to 11 grains (the max Speer load), recoil is intense and accuracy goes to crap, even if I rest it on a bag or try single action.

The XTP is a jacketed bullet but with the giant hole in the middle of it, 9.8 grains is probably close to my 9 grains with a lead bullet.

Yes, this is a dirty, smoky powder. But that is half the fun!
Old August 5, 2009, 05:46 PM   #15
scat

Definitely not a puzzah Flatbush! Perfect advice. My problem is that I can't find any publication that gives me the specs for HS-6 and 230gr.XTP for 45 LC. I'd like to find max safe and accurate load. I think it's gonna take a call to hornaday or hodgdon. Like SwampYankee, I like the smoke too!