The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Which one do you suggest?
Springfield XDs .45 36 29.27%
M&P Shield .40 18 14.63%
Ruger SP101 .357 (stainless steel & bobbed hammer) 31 25.20%
Other 38 30.89%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 27, 2012, 12:36 AM   #26
Redhawk5.5+P+

I pocket carry an SP101 3", so you i can guess what I voted for. Loaded with .357 SJHP. If I wanted to carry .38s, I'd carry my S&W 638 Airweight w/ 135g +P GDHPs.
Old December 27, 2012, 10:53 AM   #27
Lordy123

Voted for the XDS, specifically because I like .45 more than .40.
Old December 27, 2012, 04:55 PM   #28
Tinner666

I didn't vote. I love my Glocks. I love my revolvers.
You have to play aorund and find what you love to shoot. Buying a new pistol every few months, or a year trying to find the 'ONE' can be expensive. But, it's how many of us shooters roll to be honest.
They're like tools. Different ones for different jobs. One may carry and hide better. You might want to hunt and need a different one.

One of my tests is to blindly reach down for XXXX and snap into firing position. Look closely and see how far off the X-ring it came up. Do I need to change my grip every time? Does it just snap into 'the zone'?
Play around some before buying. Will your LGS sell/rent you a used one you can carry for a week and bring it back? Some will. Many won't.
Old December 27, 2012, 08:54 PM   #29
Viper225

I voted for the SP101 myself. I am a revolver guy. I conceal carry all the time, year round. In the Summer I load a couple shotshells up front unless I am headed to town. Most of my shootouts are with Copperheads and Cottonmouths. I carry a 38/357 in Summer Months just to load 38 shotshells. In cool weather I carry a 10mm and a 45acp some also.

The SP101 is a great choice.
My most carried Concealed Carry handgun is a 3" Smith & Wesson Model 66-2 DAO with factory Bobbed Hammer, and other Custom Shop work. I would pick a 3" K Frame S&W over the Ruger SP101. In factory trim the S&W is more shootable.

Myself I could pick another Dozen Revolvers for the list, However

I will humor you and pick a couple semi auto's.

I would probably try out a Shield 40 as a second choice. They are thin, the grips feels good. So far they have a good track record. I am sure I could hit well with the one example I have handled.

Third choice would be the XDS. I have not gotten my hands on one yet, however if they work as well as I read they do, this should be a very good way to go also.

Bob
Old December 27, 2012, 09:19 PM   #30
BWT

XDS

I've carried the XDS for several months now, both on and off duty, and it has quickly become my favorite. I've had two coworkers add the XDS to their carry options as well. It is a great little pistol and with the 7 round mags as back up, it holds its own.
Old December 28, 2012, 02:18 AM   #31
stevelyn

Another Glock vote.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old December 28, 2012, 09:06 AM   #32
chaim

Personally, when I can carry, my vote is "other". In the past, my most common carry guns were my Taurus 85CH and S&W 442 (often both; the 85CH IWB and the 442 in a pocket). Recently, when I've been in VA, either my Kel Tec Pf-9 or my SIG P290RS have come with me. My Taurus PT140 Millennium Pro gets about 20% of my carry time. I'm in the market for a winter carry, something in a .40 or .45, something a little larger, but none of your options are on my list (all were at some point, but they have been dropped; it is now the SIG P250 Compact, SIG P229, SIG P239, and SIG P220 Carry, all in .40 or .45).

On your list, the only definite is that I'd drop the XD (or make it a .40, or the 4-4.5" XD or XDM instead of the XDS). I generally avoid .45ACP in a barrel shorter than 4" (they can fail to achieve enough speed for reliable hollow point expansion).

I like revolvers so the SP101 would be high on my list. I'm am a big fan of 9mm and .38spl, but not so much during the winter. Heavy, layered winter clothing can increase the chances that hollow points will fail to expand, so I prefer a larger bore this time of year. I am a fan of .40S&W (really, I see advantages and disadvantages of all of the big 3 auto calibers, so I like, and own, them all). I really like the M&P on paper, it also feels good in my hand, but I am not a big fan of its trigger. That is very subjective however, so if you like the M&P's trigger, that is probably the way I'd go.

Last edited by chaim; December 28, 2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old December 28, 2012, 04:24 PM   #33
R.Lynn

+1 for the glock 26
Old December 29, 2012, 09:42 AM   #34
P5 Guy

SP101

With the hottest 158 lead SWCHP 38SPL+p I can find.
I'm not a proponent of the "Has to start with a .4" group and with a short barrel 357MAG are not efficient.
These are my opinions.
For the most part I carry a G26 or G19.
Old December 31, 2012, 09:49 PM   #35
Rjeezie

Screw it.... I got two of them! I picked up a Ruger SP101 .357 SS w/bobbed hammer and a XD-s in bitone!

Haven't shot em yet, but love what I got.
Old January 1, 2013, 08:43 AM   #36
chaim

Quote:
With the hottest 158 lead SWCHP 38SPL+p I can find.
If you are going to do a .38 or .357mag this time of year, this is the way to go. Back in the "old days" this was the best choice. Before the newer short barrel ammo hit the market, .38spl and .38+P hollow point expansion was questionable at best with the lost velocity out of a short barrel. This time of year, you again have the possibility of unreliable hollow point expansion, so the solutions of yesteryear seem smart. Lead HP's don't have a copper jacket, so they may expand a little more easily than other designs. The SWCHP additionally has a sharp shoulder (instead of rounded like a JHP/FMJ), so should the hollow point fail to expand the sharp shoulder will do more tissue damage and increase the chances of stopping your attacker. Good choice!

Quote:
Screw it.... I got two of them! I picked up a Ruger SP101 .357 SS w/bobbed hammer and a XD-s in bitone!

Haven't shot em yet, but love what I got.
Well, two is definitely better than one

A small carry auto and a snub covers about 99% of carry situations you may face. The XDs can even be pocketed when needed. Maybe, 1-5% of the time you may need something smaller and lighter (ultralight snub, small .380 auto) for "extreme" pocket carry situations.
Old January 2, 2013, 07:40 AM   #37
flyinpolack

I voted for the Ruger.
Best trigger.
I don't like most of the plastic guns' gimicky triggers.