The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 8, 2015, 04:27 PM   #1
jdb19

Action Pistol Basics

Ok so I am going to enter into my first action pistol competition but I need some advice on the ins and outs of how it will work. I contacted the administrator of the match and he told me it is 3 stages of 48 rounds. I have enough magazines currently to hold 44 rounds. Will there be an opportunity when it is not my turn to top off my magazines or do I need to purchase another magazine?

Thanks for helping out a noob
Old July 8, 2015, 07:56 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

Quote:
3 stages of 48 rounds.
Not sure what that means. Each stage requires 48 rounds? Or the three stages combined require 48 rounds? If it's the latter, yes, you'll have time to top off your mags.

I'm curious what discipline of action shooting this is? Because either way, it seems kind of odd. Most stages are less than 48 rounds; and most matches total over 48 rounds. I don't shoot every discipline, so maybe some have 48 round stages. If so, you'll need one more mag. You'll have time to reload them between stages.
Old July 8, 2015, 09:08 PM   #3
jdb19

He told me that there are 3 stages with 48 shots in each. Its an NRA action pistol match. This is all new to me so i didn't know that it was weird. I ended up finding a great deal on a 2 pack of magazines, but thanks for your reply!
Old July 9, 2015, 12:56 AM   #4
Radny97

It's handy to have the extra mags but often not technically required. In action pistol each stage is 48 shots with strings being no greater than six shots. There are not tactical reloads. You just reload between strings. So it's low pressure that way. You also aren't scored by time plus but rather by points scored within a certain time frame (the time frames are still pretty tight however). So this is not a run and gun match. The hard part is action pistol is generally very demanding on accuracy. Much more so than USPSA or idpa. It's a great type of pistol competition and one that is revolver neutral. I wish my area had more action pistol matches available. Have fun!!
Old July 9, 2015, 07:01 AM   #5
g.willikers

You should start by downloading the rule book from the NRA competition web site.
http://compete.nra.org/documents/pdf...n/act-book.pdf
The courses of fire, equipment categories and procedures will be easier to understand if you do.
Many of us started competition with the NRA "Bianchi Cup" style of action pistol games.
And it is too bad it seems to have taken such a back seat to the run 'n gun games.

Last edited by g.willikers; July 9, 2015 at 11:00 AM.