The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 16, 2015, 10:13 AM   #1
bucksnort13

Thinking about SASS

Hi I have recently come across cowboy action shooting online and I think that I might have been bit with the bug I have always been a fan of westerns so naturally when I seen a video on youtube about cowboy action shooting I was interested. I looked on the sass website and read through the rule book and to me it seems a little overwhelming but I think that it would be fun this is the first time that I have ever considered doing competitive shooting. I have talked to my dad and he was defintely interested to so we plan on doing it together we have found a club about and hour away from me that host monthly shoots. So now that I have all this information out of the way on to my questions.

1) Are there restrictions on barrel length for pistols?
2) What is the best barrel length to get? I am thinking 5 1/2
3)I read about different classes where would be a good place to start?
4)I am wondering which would be a good style of holster to start with?
5)I was also curios in caliber I am in between 45lc and 357/38 spcl which would be the better to start with?

There are many more questions I know I could probably go to the club and get a lot of answers but I figured I love getting opinions from you guys on here so I just figered I would start here.
Thanks any tips are welcome

Last edited by bucksnort13; April 16, 2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old April 16, 2015, 11:02 AM   #2
g.willikers

A good introduction is to attend a cowboy match to just watch, observe and talk to folks first, before deciding on anything, category or equipment.
Old April 16, 2015, 09:45 PM   #3
bucksnort13

Thanks G Willikers that is what I figured would be the best way to get information I just wanted to see if I could get some of these questions answered while I wait for the next match.
Old April 16, 2015, 10:34 PM   #4
Crunchy Frog

I'll take a stab at answering your specific questions but I agree with G: visit a local match or two. You will see what people are really using and what works, and all the info in the Handbook makes more sense "on the ground".

1) Are there restrictions on barrel length for pistols? Nope. I've seen revolvers with 3.5 inch barrels up to 7.5; the rules would allow the long tubed Buntlines but they would be almost impossible to draw and holster.

2) What is the best barrel length to get? I am thinking 5 1/2. It really comes down to personal preference. I like the 4 3/4 tubes, especially in a .38 caliber; with the small bore a longer barrel seems too heavy.

3)I read about different classes where would be a good place to start? Not to be nitpicky but in SASS we have "categories". Some shooting sports place shooters into classes based on their ability or experience. In SASS you select your category each time to enter the match. As long as you meet the requirements of the category you are good. Most folks shoot in their applicable "age based category". Those categories give you the broadest range of choices in caliber, type of firearm, dress, and shooting style. You can shoot your revolvers with both paws in the age based categories which is what most shooters are used to. I'd recommend starting there, you can branch out later if you like.

4)I am wondering which would be a good style of holster to start with? I'd recommend what we call "double strong side" which means gun butts facing behind you (no cross draw). I would not recommend the low slung, drop looped "buscadero" rigs, unless of course you are going to shoot in the B Western category where that type of rig is required. Please don't buy soft leather holsters from a big box store or catalog. Go to a match and let them show you what to look for in a competition rig. It is not necessary to spend a fortune.

5)I was also curios in caliber I am in between 45lc and 357/38 spcl which would be the better to start with? At the end of the day, shoot what you like. There are lots of good calibers although you have named the top two. Keep in mind that you will typically shoot 120 rounds in a six stage monthly match. If you and your dad will be shooting you can double that. Shoot in two matches a month and you can quadruple it. The .38 caliber guns are much cheaper to feed. Even if you handload (and if you don't now you probably will if you shoot cowboy), the cost of components is less for .38. If you want to be competitive, the .38s are easier to shoot fast. I know some folks who buy the big caliber and then load it way down. Also, lots of folks buy the .45s when starting out but later decide to sell them off and switch to .38s (creating a good source for used guns for the next folks coming along). I will say that a single action revolver just seems "right" in a big bore caliber, so if that is what you like, that's fine.

If you and your dad get into the game, you can buy one set of guns and share them. If you each have your own leather, it is easy to share the hardware. When my wife joined me in shooting cowboy we shared.

Lots of folks I shoot with had never been involved with competitive shooting before starting in cowboy. It's a reasonably "approachable" action shooting sport; the targets are not difficult to hit and you are seldom moving with a loaded gun.

Post back after you attend a match and let us know what you think.
Old April 17, 2015, 04:18 AM   #5
bucksnort13

Thanks for answering my questions crunchy frog I will hopefully get to attend the next match the club by us has. I can tell you that just from what I have read and saw in videos I think that cowboy action shooting was a match made in heaven for me and my dad but I will let you guys know after I check out a match. Thanks for the help again.
Old April 17, 2015, 08:03 AM   #6
SBH

SASS has a web site and they have rule books you can download.
Old April 17, 2015, 08:28 AM   #7
Jim Watson

1) Are there restrictions on barrel length for pistols?
No

2) What is the best barrel length to get? I am thinking 5 1/2
I carry 7.5". I had a 4.75" for one season but went back to 7.5". If you go .38, then the 5.5" is a good compromise.

3)I read about different classes where would be a good place to start?
I think Traditional, fixed sight guns shot two handed.

4)I am wondering which would be a good style of holster to start with?
Lots to choose from, don't skimp on leather.

5)I was also curios in caliber I am in between 45lc and 357/38 spcl which would be the better to start with?
I think the big bore single actions balance better; I shoot .44s. But the .38 is cheaper to run even when handloaded and you will get used to the weight.
Old April 17, 2015, 11:04 AM   #8
g.willikers

As long as you've decided to go see a match first, maybe one of the big ones is nearby.
http://www.sassnet.com/AnnualMatches.php
If so, there's usually vendors attending with a lot of the stuff you need right there.
Old April 17, 2015, 09:56 PM   #9
Crunchy Frog

There is no longer a "Traditional" or "Modern" category in cowboy action shooting. I believe those were eliminated in 2009 in favor of the age based categories.
Old April 21, 2015, 11:05 AM   #10
bucksnort13

I read the rule book and you are right there Crunchy Frog there is no longer a "traditional" or "Modern" categories.
Old April 22, 2015, 02:37 AM   #11
bucksnort13

Just to let u guys know I have not made it to a match but a gunsmith buddy of mine has two friends who heard I was interested and offered to take me out and try out and shoot their gear they have used over the years. I was amazed at how fun it was well anyways I am hooked I got a heck of a deal on a uberti el patron competition model in 45 colt with a 5 1/2 inch barrel and well it looks like I am hooked. I will have to say though shooting two handed is a little awkward for me with a single action but I figured with practice I can get used to it. I will admit that I was amazed at how well these friends treated me I offered to pay for the ammunition I had used and they told me not to worry about it cause they enjoyed shooting with me. Well just wanted to say thanks again to you guys now just cant wait to pick up my pistol thursday from the gun shop and start practicing I also cant wait to go to the next match and see what the actually matches are like.
Old April 22, 2015, 11:07 AM   #12
g.willikers

Lots of good info on cowboy action shooting, including tutorials on shooting the various types of guns:
http://www.cowboyactiontown.com/search/label/Videos
Old May 2, 2015, 09:12 PM   #13
SG29736

There are a couple of categories that require you to shoot with one hand. Duelist, Frontier cartridge Duelist(black powder), classic cowboy. In these you are competing against other shooters using one hand. Mark
Old May 2, 2015, 09:22 PM   #14
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers
A good introduction is to attend a cowboy match to just watch, observe and talk to folks first, before deciding on anything, category or equipment.
But bring eye protection safety glasses with you. They won't let you on the range without them. They are shooting steel targets after all.