The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 30, 2015, 04:36 PM   #1
DarthNul

Looking for pic of CMP service rifle rule 6.2.3 example

I posted this is the "smithy" forum without much luck. I'm hoping it'll do better here.

I'm looking for pictures of an M-16/AR-15 service rifle showing the modification described below:
Quote:
A screw may be inserted in the back radius of the pistol grip where it
joins the lower receiver. This screw
may extend into the rear lock-down
lug of the upper receiver for the purpose of securing the upper and lower
receivers. The screw head may not pr
otrude above the original surface
of the receiver. Both ends of the orig
inal takedown pin must remain in
place so that the original outside
configuration is not changed.
I don't think this is the same thing as the "tension screws" that push up on the upper's rear lug. It sounds (to me) like a way to screw the lower & upper together rather than using the take-down pin. I have had no luck finding pics of this on the intertubes.
Old March 31, 2015, 08:51 PM   #2
precision_shooter

Sounds to me like it's basically a set screw that keeps the rear takedown pin in place so it doesn't "walk out".
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old April 1, 2015, 02:44 PM   #3
4EVERM-14

Darthnul, I have not seen this modification but i agree with your theory. It sounds like the screw in question is threaded into the rear takedown lug. It draws the upper receiver down. This eliminates the need for the pins but the rule requires that the receiver retain it's standard external appearance so dummy pins must be inserted in the holes.
I remember a modification I did to and old H-Bar. I drilled and inserted pins vertically into the lower receiver and adjusted the height so when the rear takedown pin is inserted it takes out play between the upper and lower receivers. I don't know if it helps.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100