The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 8, 2015, 10:42 AM   #1
scottycoyote

3 gun ar setup?

ive been looking at getting into 3gun, i was just wondering if anyone shoots an eotech with a flipdown magnifier?
Old June 8, 2015, 01:41 PM   #2
Gunfixr

I dont do a lot anymore, and never at national levels. But, at local levels, very rarely.
Mostly, low power variables. 1to 4x is popular, around here can only get out to about 300 to maybe 500 yds.
Some run a lighted reticle or red dot in the crosshair, some dont, just the crosshair.
Old August 21, 2015, 06:01 PM   #3
deadcoyote

I don't do 3 gun but I have a buddy who is a great USPSA shooter who stated he attempted to run a 3 gun match with an A2 style Ar with irons, and said he couldn't remotely be competetive with the irons.

at my work we only do courses with AR's from 5-150 yards, I use a primary arms 2.5x fixed optic, and can do the up close and out to 150 pretty easy. I can make easy hits out to 250 with the 2.5, I do not have access to a longer range so that's all I've got for ya. I don't know how far out they shoot in 3 gun.
Old August 22, 2015, 10:11 AM   #4
skizzums

I can only go from what I have seen. Either a zero magnification reflex/dot with slide to side QD magnifier co-witnessed with irons or the more likely set-up, a 1-4 or 1-6 with the "tactical" focus lever that screws into the magnification wheel(most all you tactical AR scopes will have a screw on the rear, that screw removes for the addition of your quick magnification lever) with a quick acquisition reticle with several hashes on the bottom to learn where your drop falls. off-set irons can be used as well for the up close nitty gritty stuff.. Some use the Trijicon magnified with the small reflex attached to the top of sight, some matches that are strict about a single optic will not allow. You just gotta think what would work best for you when needing to rapidly switch for 5 yard targets to 600 yard targets(or however far your range goes) when speed is the most important factor. I would want a lightweight rifle with a fixed stock and a hair trigger, a super effective muzzle brake that directs gases away from my field of view and a 1-4 that keeps POI no matter the magnification, has eye relief for miles with several hashes to learn which line hits what yardage and of course find your load and stick with it for good.

Here's my choice for a 3 gun scope. Can't beat that reticle for the uniqueness of 3 gun. Pre installed lever. I have a Bushnell AR series scope, and the glass is clear and the relief is amazing on anything under 8x. http://bushnell.com/tactical/rifle-s...throw-down-pcl