The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 30, 2015, 07:23 AM   #1
steve4102

Docs v Glocks

The Federal Appeals could upheld FL HB-155 stopping Dr. from asking patients about firearms ownership and entering this information into a data base. They can still ask, but they must in "good Faith" believe that it is relevant to patient care and safety.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...glocks-gun-law
Old July 30, 2015, 08:10 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
... Doctors will largely cease inquiring into and counseling on the topic of firearms, lest they be accused of crossing the line between providing life-saving preventive medical information and promoting an anti-firearm political agenda.
Color me naive, but I sort of think that's exactly the point of the law.

Doctors who have been brainwashed probably hold a sincere belief that keeping guns away from patients is a good idea, but that doesn't mean they (the doctors) have any professional/educational expertise on which to support that belief. Which means that for them to delve into firearms counseling is a professional boundary violation.

NRA firearms instructors should not give medical advice. Doctors should not give firearms advice. Simple.
Old July 30, 2015, 10:03 AM   #3
Sharkbite

My Dr talks to me about reloading all the time. Just need more Doctors like him
Old July 30, 2015, 11:03 AM   #4
bandaid1

I've said this before, but there are very few legitimate reasons to ask about weapons when treating patients. In fact, if a patient verbalizes a desire to harm self or other, that fact is all that is needed. What tool or modality they intend to use matters little in most cases. The issue is that they intend some form of suicidal or homicidal intent, period.

I do not buy this counciling B.S. for safe firearm storage reason that is being given by some Doctors. Healthcare providers are NOT educated in firearms ownership/self defense and have no expertise in giving any advice on such matters, one way or the other. At best it's a boon doggle. It's a chargeable counseling with zero oversight. At worst it creates a searchable database of firearms owners, that would not be protected from State or Federal Government access, it won't. If fact, your healthcare insurer will also have access to such information as well, which in theory, could use such info to raise your rates as a person with a higher health risk.
Old July 30, 2015, 05:29 PM   #5
oldandslow

steve,

I'm a doc and I ask my patients about their guns all the time. I also ask them if they have primers or powder to trade and how their AR and scope are shooting and what they'll be shooting at the upcoming match. Since many of my patients are shooters it is a pleasant discussion for both of us.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old August 9, 2015, 04:58 PM   #6
bshefa

I am also a doc. Many of my patients discuss shooting and hunting with me. The question about firearms becomes medical and relevant in cases of suicidal ideation and attempted suicide. Part of the evaluation requires determining if the patient is a legitimate risk to him or herself by determining if they have the means or a plan for suicide. Often, this requires asking about firearms and ammunition. It does not require specific models or lists. I see this several times a week in an inpatient setting.

I don't see this being relevant to the overall health of a normal functioning individual.
Old August 9, 2015, 05:02 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshefa
Often, this requires asking about firearms and ammunition. It does not require specific models or lists. I see this several times a week in an inpatient setting.
Anything that "often" requires some action, automatically often does NOT require that same action. It certainly does not require a blank space on the patient record form that asks, "Are there firearms in the home?"
Old August 9, 2015, 05:16 PM   #8
bshefa

I agree there doesn't need to be question on the review of systems for all patients concerning firearms. See the bottom sentence of my post.

If you are in the hospital or emergency room for psychiatric disease, especially leading to suicidal ideation, you better believe it is asked and documented. You are allowed to lie, of course. This is required of physicians wanting to circumvent civil suit for failing to properly address suicidal risk. I can't cite specific cases however the Texas Medical Jurisprudence study guide made this clear. I don't feel like digging it out of the attic to see which cases were cited.
Old August 9, 2015, 05:44 PM   #9
FITASC

None of my doc's business; plain and simple- he can ask, ans I will not reveal anything
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 9, 2015, 07:22 PM   #10
doofus47

My doc doesn't panic about my kids if they're a bit over/under weight against the averages nor a bit taller or shorter than the national averages. He rifle hunts elk and never asks me about my guns.
I'm so sticking with him.
Old August 9, 2015, 09:06 PM   #11
egor20

I shoot skeet with my doctor and also my priest, so I basically have all the bases covered.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old August 9, 2015, 09:31 PM   #12
Spooler41

Since I've never been put under oath by a doctor, I've never felt compelled
to be totally honest about my firearms habits and inventory. When questioned
about firearms ownership a simple "No" usually handles the moment.

......................... Jack