The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 8, 2011, 09:53 AM   #1
cgv69

Tell me about the Rem Mod 7 in 260?

Hey guys,

I’m looking for a new rifle. This rifle would be somewhat of a utility rifle meaning it will be used for hunting (mainly deer) as well as general target shooting. Deer in this area are not really big and shots are generally limited to under 150yrds so I don’t need a heavy hitter. For target shooting I won’t generally be shooting past 300yrds. I’m mostly a small bore shooter (air rifles, rimfires and 223) and I don’t do well (or enjoy shooting) heavy recoiling rounds. Lastly I would prefer to stick with a “short action” platform.

From the research I’ve done, a .243 would probably work but I’m really interested in the .260 Remington. The problem is that round does not appear to be real popular so factory options for rifles and ammo in that caliber is limited. I will be reloading for it so ammo isn’t a concern but finding my ideal rifle has been.

Ideally, I would like a Remington 700 CDL with a sporter weight 20-22” barrel but that is not a factory option. Remington only offers the 260 in the Model 7 format. In general I like the idea of a shorter, lighter rifles but not when they are so light that is contributes to a large increase in recoil. One of the things drawing me to the 260 is its reported light recoil so I don’t want to negate that by going with really light rifle making it recoil more like a 308.

My other issue is barrel profile. As I plan to do some target shooting with this rifle as well, I’m concerned about the Mod 7’s pencil profile barrel. I’m thinking anything more the 20 slow fired rounds without taking a break and the barrel will heat up to the point of larger groups and possible even barrel damage?

So my question is, do any of your have a Mod 7 in 260 and if so, what are your thoughts on it? How is the recoil? How many shots can you take with it before the barrel starts to heat beyond an acceptable level?
Old March 8, 2011, 12:10 PM   #2
Fullboar

I have no experiance with the Ruger but I do have it with the Sako 85 and Tikka T3 and both are chambered in 260 rem. The Sako and Tikka are made by Sako in the same place and are miles ahead of any other factory production manufactured rifle. The Sako has a 5 shot MOA guarantee with "any factory ammo" and the Tikka has a 3 shot MOA guarantee with "any factory ammo" (most other accuracy guarantees are 3 shot with "match grade ammo" well the Sako and Tikka are "any factory ammo") and all their rifles carry this guarantee even with a light sporter barrel. Another good thing about buying a Sako or Tikka is they already have bedded actions and floated barrels and have the best triggers on any production rifle (there as good as any match grade trigger and there barrels are as good as any match grade barrels). Check them out at as they really are classy rifles especially the Sako.
http://www.sako.fi/sako85.php
http://www.tikka.fi/t3rifles.php
As far as the recoil goes it is about the same as a 243, maybe just a little more. Even in a really light rifle like the Tikka T3 Light (around 6 pounds) it is nothing really at all (nothing like a 308).
The Sako and Tikka use the same barrel and I have seen them have shot after shot fired out of them the light barrel does get hot but they don't string shots and if your worried about that they are both made with a varmint barrel and the weight is still good. I dont know about the Sako's but you can get the Tikka with a 20" barrel.
Good Luck

Last edited by Fullboar; March 8, 2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old March 8, 2011, 12:41 PM   #3
mikejonestkd

I own a model 7 stainless in .243 and it is a nicely made and accurate walk around hunting rifle. I consistently get 1" 3 shot groups around 100 yards with premium ammo, and can do a bit better with handloads. The thin barrel can heat up quicker than a heavy barrel but for a hunting rifle it is not an issue. It handles well, and recoil is fairly mild for a light rifle. I am assuming that a .260 would only recoil slightly more. All in all, it is a fine choice.
Old March 8, 2011, 03:50 PM   #4
jgcoastie

My Kimber 84M (.260) weighs in at about 6.5lbs fully loaded.

I think it recoils less/equal to the .243 Savage my buddy has (and his Savage weighs about 8oz more.)
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old March 8, 2011, 03:51 PM   #5
Doyle

I've got the original Model 7 in .260. It is a sweet, light gun and I love it. It has the 18 1/2" barrel. That barrel length was discontinued long ago in favor of the 20" barrel. I happen to like the short barrel because it suits my purposes. However, it does cause me to loose 50 to 70 fps that I wouldn't have to loose if it had the 20" barrel.

Recoil is quite pleasant in the .260 - even in that light weight Model 7. One slight (and I do mean very slight) downfalling with Remington's implementation of the .260 in the Model 7 is that they use a 1 in 9" twist. To me, the best bullet weight in 6.5mm is 140 grn. That weight really needs a 1 in 8" twist for best accuracy. Federal Sierra GameKings (factor loads) in 140gr through my gun were doing a little more than 1moa. I've just ordered a batch of Hornady Interlock 129grn that my buddy and I are going to load up. I'm thinking that the 129 grn will be perfect for the 1 in 9" twist.
Old March 8, 2011, 03:55 PM   #6
reloader-1

Have you by chance looked at the new Savage Lightweight Hunter in .260? It might be what you are looking for...
Old March 8, 2011, 05:15 PM   #7
cgv69

Thanks for the info so far. I'm glad to read that even in a "light rifle" format, it's still a soft shooter. Even still, because of my desire to use this for target shooting too, I'd still rather have a standard sporter weight barrel as opposed to a light weight skinny barrel. The problem is, what few company's still chamber for the 260 ikn the US, they all only seem to chamber for it in their light weight lines.

I typically always look for a Remington 700 first because I know they are typically good rifles and have a ton of after market support. I know anything I could ever want for this rifles (scope bases\rings, stocks, triggers, etc.) I will be able to find for the 700. When I realized Remington no longer chambered any of their 700's for the 260, I started looking elsewhere. I looked at Ruger, Winchester, Kimber, CZ, Sako, Tikka but none of them offer the 260 anymore (not in this country anyway).

To be honest, a Kimber or Sako is probably out of my price range anyway. I thought about a Tikka Hunter but it doesn't look like Beretta imports that rifle (or any Tikka\Sako) in 260 anymore? Savage has some options but I just can't warm up to Savages. I know they typically shoot just fine but I just don't care for them.

Looks like my only options are to find an older version of one of these rifles in .260 or get a new rifle that I like in .308 and have it re-barreled (or suck it up and get the Model 7)?

Doyle - good point about the twist rate. From what I've read I agree that 1/8 twist is the way to go but Remington always does 1/9. They do the same thing in .223 where 1/8 is optimum IMO but they always make them in either 1/9 or 1/12

I guess that's why I'm thinking I may just get a 308 and have it re-barreled if I can't find the right older 260? I just have to be careful cost wise. I don't have "custom rifle" money for this build.
Old March 8, 2011, 06:39 PM   #8
Doyle

If you want to get a .260 for as little as possible, your best choice is to pick up a Stevens 200 in one of the .308 based calibers (.308, .243, etc). Those cost $300 brand new and can be had used for less. Then, get an aftermarket 20 - 22" medium taper barrel with a 1 in 8" twist.

The reason I'm recommending Stevens (really a Savage with no accutriger and an ugly stock) is that you don't need a gunsmith to change the barrel. All you need is a Savage barrel nut wrench and a set of go/no-go guages.

Or, you could go a little fancier and get one of the nicer Savages. They all use the same barrel nut system.
Old March 8, 2011, 07:28 PM   #9
Fullboar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgv69
I looked at Ruger, Winchester, Kimber, CZ, Sako, Tikka but none of them offer the 260 anymore (not in this country anyway).

To be honest, a Kimber or Sako is probably out of my price range anyway. I thought about a Tikka Hunter but it doesn't look like Beretta imports that rifle (or any Tikka\Sako) in 260 anymore?
Whoever told you that is full of crap. I know the Sako and Tikka are avaliable in the USA in 260 and you can also get them with the heavy barrel.
Old March 8, 2011, 07:38 PM   #10
Fullboar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgv69
I looked at Ruger, Winchester, Kimber, CZ, Sako, Tikka but none of them offer the 260 anymore (not in this country anyway).

To be honest, a Kimber or Sako is probably out of my price range anyway. I thought about a Tikka Hunter but it doesn't look like Beretta imports that rifle (or any Tikka\Sako) in 260 anymore?
Whoever told you that is full of crap. I know the Sako and Tikka are avaliable in the USA in 260 and you can also get them with the heavy barrel. Have a look at the Tikka T3 Lite or if you want a heavier barrel look at the T3 Varmint or Super Varmint
Old March 8, 2011, 08:00 PM   #11
publius

The .260 is a great round, (all 6.5's are) I really like the Model 7 for your intended purpose too. Please don't choose 100 or 120gr. bullets. Although they would work fine for whitetail, the 6.5 is made, and shines with the 140gr. bullets. I often shoot a Swede and will get a .260 when the right deal comes along.
Old March 8, 2011, 08:17 PM   #12
JerryM

I would think that a 120 gr bullet, like the Barnes X, would give excellent performance up to elk. It should approximate the 130 gr bullet in .270, and well constructed bullets in that weight do a good job. I would not hesitate to use a 130 gr Barnes X on elk.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old March 8, 2011, 09:57 PM   #13
fishmagnet

I have a 1998 Model Seven in .308 with no 'J' lock or "Warning Read The Owners Manual" stamping on the barrel in 20" barrell and stainless/synthetic.

It is one of my most favorite all-around-utility rifles!

I wish I could find the same in .260!
Old March 8, 2011, 10:18 PM   #14
GeauxTide

I've a 77 Compact and a Savage Weather Warrior. You MUST look at the Savage. Only rifle that I've owned in over 40 years that has a 2.5# trigger and shoots 1/2MOA OOB! Like others mentioned, they also have a LW Hunter.
Old March 8, 2011, 10:27 PM   #15
cgv69

Quote:
Whoever told you that is full of crap. I know the Sako and Tikka are avaliable in the USA in 260 and you can also get them with the heavy barrel. Have a look at the Tikka T3 Lite or if you want a heavier barrel look at the T3 Varmint or Super Varmint
Nobody told me that. I went to Beretta USA's website as they are the official importer for Sako and Tikka this country and as the site clearly shows, the .260 Rem is not an option on any of the Sako or Tikka rifles. I know Sako and Tikka still make them and Beretta might have brought them in at one time but not now apparently?

Is there another source for Sako and Tikka's in the US?
Old March 8, 2011, 10:29 PM   #16
cgv69

I just wanted to say thanks guy. I'm 99.9% sure the 260 is the right caliber for me. I just have to hunt for the right rifle now
Old March 8, 2011, 10:39 PM   #17
Woodyed

Fullboar----- I'm a gun gealer and I've sold Tikka's for a long time and I will tell you that the Tikka is NOT available or imported by Beretta into the USA. in 260 caliber. The Sako, yes, is available in the U.S. in 260 caliber. Beretta has even stopped importing the Tikka in 6.5x55 recently, for idiotic reasons of their own I really wish the 260 Tikka was available in the U.S. and I'm sure it would sell well.
Old March 9, 2011, 04:15 AM   #18
natman

I looked on the Beretta website and can't find any guns in 260.

http://www.berettausa.com/shop-by-de...bines/hunting/

The Tikka T3 is a long action, so it's probably better suited for 6.5x55 anyway, but they appear to have dropped that too in everything except a couple of models of the Sako 85.

Savage has 6 models in 260.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/
Old March 9, 2011, 03:55 PM   #19
jgcoastie

natman

Yes, the Tikka is a long action, but isn't it "pinned" (for lack of a better term) to limit bolt travel to that of a standard short action?
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old March 10, 2011, 04:03 AM   #20
natman

Quote:
Yes, the Tikka is a long action, but isn't it "pinned" (for lack of a better term) to limit bolt travel to that of a standard short action?
They may have limited the bolt travel, but the rifle is still as long and as heavy as a 30-06, which to my way of thinking means it might as well be a 30-06. I love short action cartridges in short action rifles.
Old March 10, 2011, 12:26 PM   #21
jgcoastie

natman

Fair enough, just wanted to make sure I understood correctly. Thanks.

Even better would be a 6.5/06....
Old March 10, 2011, 01:37 PM   #22
fadetoblack172

i got my model 7 in 260 when i was 12, now 12 years later i've killed a dozen deer with it, an antelope and a bear. The best shooting gun i've ever shot, I've killed deer running 300 yards multiple times. I just sold my model 700 270 because i like the model 7 so much and i'm looking to get another caliber in model 7.
Old March 10, 2011, 02:02 PM   #23
oneounceload

My model 7 is the 18" version in 7-08 - a very close cousin to the 260. I bought it as a rifle to be carried a lot and not shot that much. With a neoprene sling, it is comfortable for carry in the mountains. At the range, off sand bags, I get very acceptable accuracy with its favorite 140 gr load, but as you suspected, the thin barrel heats up quickly. My level for too hot is if I can't hold it longer than 1 second. After a three-round group, it is time to let is sit for a minute or two (which is why I always brought a 22 or similar for in between.

The 260 is the short action 6.5 Swede - another excellent cartridge - if the goal is hunting and not high-volume target shooting, the Model 7 will do the job in a compact, lightweight and accurate package
Old April 4, 2011, 01:02 PM   #24
Grayson

I've noticed Savage has the .260 in a 22" barrel length as opposed to Remington's 20" length with the Model 7. Is there a performance difference between the 22 and 20" barrels?
Old April 4, 2011, 06:18 PM   #25
Doyle

Quote:
I've noticed Savage has the .260 in a 22" barrel length as opposed to Remington's 20" length with the Model 7. Is there a performance difference between the 22 and 20" barrels?
Relatively little. I'd prefer the 20" barrel. However, if the Savage has a 1 in 8" twist, I'd prefer that over Remington's 1 in 9" twist. The 140grn bullet is a perfect match for the .260 and it stabilizes better in a 1/8 than in a 1/9.