The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 2, 2007, 01:26 AM   #1
bosshog

.410 question

I'm looking at getting my son a .410 for his b-day. I'm looking into the Rossi single shot break open action or the New England Pardner Youth Pardner single shot. Anybody have experience w/ either one? I like the look of the New England, but it looks like it'll be a tad longer(harder for him to hold up on his own, at least for another year or so).

Thanks,

Bosshog
Old February 2, 2007, 09:01 AM   #2
rantingredneck

I've got an H&R .410 that my granddad bought me when I was 10. H&R is now NEF. It has held up well and I still own and treasure it. Don't worry so much if it's not a perfect fit for him just now. He will definitely grow into it and may appreciate that longer stock next year. My granddad also bought me a Marlin model 60 around that same time and the stock was a bit too long for me. My uncle tried to get him to shorten it for my length of pull, but I'm glad he didn't listen. I grew into it rather quickly and would be upset today if that gun had a short stock. Whichever you decide on getting, they are both fine guns and good for you for getting one for your son. Best of luck and good shooting.
Old February 2, 2007, 09:39 AM   #3
thirdeagle

A little info about your son would be good. . .how old. . .how big. My father bought me an NEF .410 when I was 7. It had a bit much recoil for a 7 year old, but the shotgun is a prized possession now. It may sound silly, but if you buy your son the .410, let him shoulder the gun on a couple of occasions without shooting and then let him shoot bench-rest a time or two to get used to the recoil. You should be able to find 2" and 2 1/2" shells to get him started. After that, set him up some stationary clay pigeons or let him shoot paper (paper plates work good at about 5-8 yards). Alternatively, you could start him out with a .22 rifle instead (assuming you have not done so already). There are some clear advantages with the .22. Good luck - safety first.
Old February 2, 2007, 06:50 PM   #4
bosshog

Thanks for the input. He's turning 6. But he's pretty tall for his age. He has a scoped savage .22 single shot that my father got him before he was born. Just started shooting that this year at targets. He does right well from the bench w/ that one. I've taken him varmint hunting with that, but he can't quite steady the gun w/o a rest yet. I'm thinking the .410 is the answer if he can handle the recoil like you all were suggesting. Alot easier to put the bead on target. Probably go w/ the NEF and let him grow into it.

Thanks again for the info.

On another note, we had his .22 the other day and were sitting in a young cutover. I hit the handheld rabbit distress call and within seconds I see a red fox coming right to us about 20 feet away. At the same time we locked eyes. My son was sitting on a stump below me as I was standing up and had the gun. No time to set him up for the shot because the fox had turned and was in the process of beating feet. I fired (over him). This all happened in seconds. Point being I should've had my 870, that would've got him.
Old February 2, 2007, 08:24 PM   #5
rem33

Have you looked at the combo's New England and Rossi are making? They make a youth model with interchangeable barrels with 22 or 410 one is even three barrels including a 243. I have been tempted to get one for a pickup gun, can order it for $220 3 barrels, .22. 20 gauage, and 243 and where i live it can just stay in the pickup.
Old February 2, 2007, 09:27 PM   #6
auburnboattail

Nef

Bought my youngest Boy NEF youth.. great for youngsters.

I started when I was 6 back in the 50's with an Iver Johnson champion .410.

They are still inexpensive and fairly available at gun shows. Still use mine for rabbit hunting When I want to challenge myself. Great little guns for the young guys as well.
Old February 2, 2007, 09:46 PM   #7
Maser

I see these threads way too often. Sure, a .410 bore shotgun may seem like a good choice for a young shooter, but it's not! I say get him a 20 or 12 gauge. A .410 bore may seem good because of the easy recoil, but it's way too expensive to shoot. Young kids need practice and therefore need lots of ammo to practice with. The average .410 load is about .45 cents each pull of the trigger. A 12 or 20 gauge is only about 15-20 cents each pull of the trigger. Seriously though, a 12 gauge with target loads is not as brutal on a kid as you may think. My little brother is only 8 years old and he shoots my Mossberg 500 with the pistol grips and he handles it perfectly.
Old February 4, 2007, 02:50 PM   #8
Death from Afar

Absolutly- I love the little .410, and in fact shot 60 rabbits with mine last week. But, they are an experts gun. Your pellets are fired at the same speed, but there are a lot less of them. So, your pattern has to be dead on ...get him a 20 bore instead.