The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 18, 2002, 07:33 PM   #1
redrider

washington state coyote hunters?

Anyone out there in Washington state hunting yoedel dogs? I am new to the game and would like to here from someone in my area to talk to or hunt with.
Old June 19, 2002, 12:03 AM   #2
J. Parker

Hey redrider, WELCOME to TFL. I'm not a coyote hunter but I'd just like to welcome you to TFL. I live in central Washington State and they're all over the place out here. Best, J. Parker
Old June 19, 2002, 02:29 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

This is actually Remmy's post

Remmy sez,

"Hey, I'm new to the game too, I'm just getting started with the coyotes. The knowledgable guys over at www.predatormastersforums.com can tell you everything you want to know. Great forums dedicated to hunting these smart animals."

Art sez, Remmy's most likely right. I've hung out at http://www.varminter.com and it has been a good site.
Old June 19, 2002, 07:22 PM   #4
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Hey, redrider. Welcome to TFL!

I'm at Fort Lewis, next to Tacoma. I had never seen a live yodel dog until recently. We were in the field last week, and my squad (down to 4 and sergeant because of various training obligations) was serving as OPFOR for the 11Bravos in the company. It was about midnight Thursday night/Friday morning, and I was sitting on the ground, pressed into a huge clump of brush at the edge of the road. I was only armed with my PVS-14 night vision gear because I was designated a gunner for my mortar squad. Since he gets to carry a 60mm cannon, the gunner wears a Beretta M9 as a backup, and we had no 9mm blanks...
Anyway, it was fairly breezy, so I was wearing my GoreTex top. I was scanning to my right, and as I scanned back to my left, my monocular showed a large animal directly in front.
"Aigh!" I choked, startled, before the synapses kicked in. There had been a coyote walking by, and I spotted him at about 2 meters. He appeared to be about as startled as I was, and took off, but I recovered and starting making hurt rabbit-type squealey noises. He stopped about 40 meters away, and half-circled back, thought about it, and decided that whatever I was, I was too weird for him, and ambled off.

Wandering Thoughts
Old June 20, 2002, 01:36 AM   #5
redrider

Wow that's quite a story. How exciting. My best buddy, hunting partner lives in Parkland, right next to the base. I sure would like to hook up with some more local guy's to go hunting with as I am new to the sport. I love to get out in the woods/desert or wherever the critters roam, and from what it sounds like they aint far! I reload, go to the range all the time, I'm totaly into it; we've got our deer and elk tags and have put in for doe/cow tags as well. We went deer hunting last year by Newport, Wa. but didn't get no deer. I will also get bear/cougar tags. I have only shot one deer and he was a small spike, but now I'm hooked on all critters. I have a four year old boy and I cant wait to teach him the outdoors, so I only have so long to learn before I have to start teaching.
Old June 20, 2002, 10:01 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've always liked the little hand-held wounded-rabbit calls. You can call up coyotes and hawks and owls; around town, you can drive folks' dogs absolutely nuts. Brings in house cats, too. Every now and then folks have had bears come, as well as the occasional mountain lion.

Out deer-hunting one time, I lip-squeaked a fox close enough that he sniffed my boot toe. His reaction when I tapped his nose was wondrous to behold!

Art
Old June 20, 2002, 11:29 AM   #7
redrider

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h a