The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 6, 2015, 12:48 AM   #26
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The Handis weren't made in China were they?
No.

Quote:
I’ve owned a NEF Handi Rifle, heavy barrel .223, for 12+ years now without a lick of trouble. I honestly do not know how many rounds I’ve fired, but it would be a safe bet it’s over 5000. That’s about 10 life times for a hunting rifle. Not one lick of trouble. It’s far from wore out, even the bore. Two years ago I shot the best 100 yard group to date with it. 0.40 inch group. I wouldn’t worry too much about stock pilling replacement parts.
Yea, I'm not worried about it, either.
I have a Remlin-made Handi in .444 Marlin, and, just a few hours ago, I was trying to snag a Remlin Handi in .30-30 at a local auction.

If something breaks, I'll be able to find parts. It may not be incredibly easy, but I'll be able to find parts. The H&R SB2s (last iteration of the "rifle" frame) are fairly tough. I'm just not that worried about it...

To contrast that situation, though...
I own three Marlin X7s. They have a tendency (or did have a tendency) to lose or break extractors. The entire X7 line has been discontinued and Marlin no longer offers parts or repair services -- last time I checked, anyway...
So, as an owner of three discontinued rifles with a known common failure point, I ordered two extractors, one extractor detent ball, and one extractor detent ball spring as 'insurance' for the long actions. (If I have the parts, I'll never need them.) And, with the short action being a recent addition and different case head diameter, I'm about to order a spare extractor and detent ball for that, as well. (I can find a spring, if needed.)

Remington 783s use the bolt head (and many other parts) from the X7 line, but trying to obtain an extractor from Remington is not happening, at least in my attempts. So, I'm dealing with third parties for the parts; but I will keep the Remington connection in mind in the future.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; March 6, 2015 at 12:56 AM.

Tags
discontinued , h&r , handi rifle , single shot , warranty