The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 19, 2013, 11:52 PM   #1
HALL,AUSTIN

So, the 6.5 creedmoor and hunting

I fave a few questions about the 6.5creedmoor, with hornady's offerings for hunting ammo it seems to be a nice little round. But my questions are as follows.
1. What game can be taken with this round?
2. At what ranges can/ do you take game with this round?
3. How does it compare to 7mm-08?
Old February 20, 2013, 10:20 AM   #2
603Country

The 6.5 Creedmore is a ballistic twin of the 260 Rem and pretty much a twin of the 6.5x55. Certainly it's good for Mule Deer, Whitetail, varmints, Antelope or any midsized thin skinned game. Figure, at the upper limits of the cartridge, and for comparison, the 6.5 can shoot a 120 gr bullet at approx 3000 fps. A 270 can shoot a 130 gr bullet at 3000 fps. It compares well to the 270. As for comparison to the 7-08, they'd be roughly equal though (and I don't have my load books in front of me) I'd expect that you could shoot a larger bullet weight at a slightly higher velocity with the 7-08. I'm sure you'd be quite happy with either for hunting. If you plan on target shooting, I suppose the Creedmore is better suited to that, since it was designed for that.

As for range, I've taken large hogs at up to 400 yards with my 260 Rem, though I wouldn't shoot a deer at that range under normal circumstances.