The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 10, 2012, 03:36 PM   #1
Slugo

Range Report: Franchi Affinity 20 gauge...

this will be easy. Today was the first time I shot the gun. Central Penn Sporting Clays, York County, PA. 100 total rounds using two boxes of Remington 7/8 target loads and two boxes of Federal 7/8 target loads. All were #8's. From the very first target to the last, the gun functioned flawlessly. I used the supplied IC choke tube which was totally effective on the course, on every target. I was pulling my own remote control targets and not scoring, but I know I broke over 80% of the targets. I'm satisfied with the Affinity 20 and recommend it highly.

Now, regarding the problem of feeding the gun and injuring your thumb, which was reported by a few experts, Randy W!! I have no clue what they/he were talking about. No problems feeding the gun what so ever! It was flawless, but maybe had something to do with the ammo I was using.

The gun in black synthetic retails for, I believe $899. I bought the gun locally for $659! A great deal with no regrets...

Old October 10, 2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Orphanedcowboy

I am seriously considering one of these for the niece, to replace her Weatherby SA-08 for duck season coming up and the compact version looks like it could be perfect.

Thanks Slugo for the report!
Old October 10, 2012, 04:08 PM   #3
Slugo

my only concern is, it probably is a little stiffer than the SA-08. But, not to any great extent. The SA-08 is a soft shooter and reminds me of an 1100...
Old October 10, 2012, 05:51 PM   #4
BigJimP

Good to hear you liked it .....I'll put it on my short list for an affordable gun option for guys when they ask....
Old October 10, 2012, 05:54 PM   #5
Joe Chicago

Orphaned, why are you replacing the SA08? Were you having trouble with it? I am considering one in 20 gauge for the wife and I to shoot.
Old October 11, 2012, 01:35 AM   #6
Orphanedcowboy

No, it has been flawless. I have been looking for another 20ga 390/3901 but they are hard to find. I want something that I don't have to swap a piston to go from dove to ducks. The SA-08 would remain in the stable though, very good gun for the money.

Slugo, she has shot my M2 with 3" loads and no complaints at all.