The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 4, 2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Gunsmith63

M24/47 newbie needs help

Hi folks,
I recently acquired a Yugo M24/47 in 8x57mm and it included a take off barrel chambered in 7.62 NATO. This is going to be a project gun, completely redone and I'm thinking of swapping the barrels. (I have much milsurp 7.62 brass)
I've re-barreled military rifles before, but have never changed the original caliber.
My question is this: Will I have to do anything to the action in order for the 7.62 rounds to chamber?
I have a German K98 Mauser, a Lee Enfield in .303 British, an M1 Carbine and an M14. Love those military rifles!
Any help will be much appreciated.
Old August 4, 2011, 04:53 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

You should not have to change anything else. Sometimes when changing cartridges you might have to work on the feed rails, but in the 8x57 to 7.62 NATO change they seem to work OK without feed rail work.

But with takeoff barrels, you have to be careful with headspace and fitting. At the factory, Mauser barrels were installed first, breeched up on the shoulder and the inner collar, then finish reamed for headspace and the sights installed. Installing a takeoff might be simply a matter of screwing it in, or might involve tinkering with the shoulder, or even setting the barrel back a turn and rechambering. You won't know what has to be done until you get there.

Jim
Old August 5, 2011, 03:17 PM   #3
Gunsmith63

Thanks Jim,
I plan on removing the sights first and then after I have the headspace correct, reinstall them.
This is my first Yugo M24/47 and I wasn't sure about the caliber conversion, so I thought I'd better ask first.
As an afterthought. would you know if the disassembly is the same as the K98 Mauser?