The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 10, 2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Dunecigar

Daewoo DP51

An American citizen (Bersa, SW442, CCW permit) living in Guatemala City, Guatemala, Central America:

First off, thank you, one and all, for your responses to my StoegerCougar 8000. They helped alot.

Nevertheless, I do have another gun question. Here goes...

Giving my limited amount of gun choices here in Central America is the Daewoo DP51 an good gun to buy? Mind you, living in a third world country, with a terrible crime rate (think being killed for a Fossil watch) I will probably wind up using it sooner rather than later.

So is the Daewoo a good gun to buy?

CanĀ“t wait to here from you all.
Old September 10, 2012, 05:56 PM   #2
PSP

The Daewoo is an excellent pistol, though no longer in production. The quality is high, the reliability is outstanding and accuracy is good. The tri-action trigger is easy to use, smooth and light. it uses S&W 59 series magazines. A good gun with few if any flaws.

Here, a nice one will cost $250 to $350.
Old September 10, 2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Pahoo

Good guns !!

Welcome aboard and as PSP has stated, they are very good guns. I have owned three and all gave super performance. They are also very easy to field strip and clean. Yes, the 59 mags will work, as you don't have the DP51C. Have found that some of the 59 mags, will feed just fine but not lock back, on the last round. If the price is right, grab it.
The use of the try action, is a learning experiance.

Be Safe !!!
Old September 10, 2012, 07:08 PM   #4
Walt Sherrill

You may find, too, that Century Arms International -- an American Importer -- may be able to supply SOME parts.

I've had two DP51s and the .40 version (DH40), and they're fine guns. You may already know it, but they have a very unique firing mechanism with three modes, all of which work with the safety (or without): 1) hammer down, double action, 2) cocked and locked, single action, 3) hammer cocked and pushed forward (down), with a two-stage single action.

In the third mode, the gun appears to be double-action, but the action is pre-cocked. You have to pull the trigger to stage the hammer (i.e., move it back to the cocked position), and then continue your pull to drop the hammer. There are two clear steps in the process, but it's easier and more effective than DA, and arguably safer than SA. You can use the safety or not.

My DaeWoos seemed, to me, to be like a S&W Third Generation gun that looked a little like a SIG. The gun seems to have some S&W-like features.

The 59 mags work, but stick out just a bit farther than factory mags with a gap at the bottom. They far less expensive than the DaeWoo mags, if you can find them. The 59 mags can be tweaked to work in the .40 model, too,