The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 21, 2012, 07:19 AM   #1
Hank15

Secure safe for 4~6 handguns with a manual or key lock

My search for a safe meeting my criteria is turning out to be much more laborious than I wanted it to be.

I have a few handguns I would like to keep in a safe, and if possible, I would like them to meet the following criteria:

-big enough to fit 4~6 handguns, but not be bigger than it needs to be

-lock can be opened by combination or a key or anything manual. No electronic stuff, I read too many horror stories about them

-an actual safe, not a "security cabinet"

-hidden hinges, or at the very least, something that can't be pried open with tools from a typical household tool box

Please help...2 hours on google has yielded little to no results.

P.S. I live in a good neighborhood and have a good watch dog, I just want to take extra precautions.
Old June 21, 2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Skimp

Security is about layers. Sometimes three layers are enough, but more may be better. However, if a perp gets into the house then the first three layers have been breached, and an armed response may be necessary.

If a gun owner is not at home, an alarm system would be best to get outside security there as soon as possible. If a gun owner is at home, a gun in hand is worth more than three in the safe.
Old June 21, 2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Webleymkv

Quote:
lock can be opened by combination or a key or anything manual. No electronic stuff, I read too many horror stories about them
Many electronic safes have a manual override of some sort should the electronic mechanism fail or malfunction. For example, I have a small pistol safe with has a battery-powered keypad, but it also has a key lock should the keypad battery die or malfunction.
Old June 21, 2012, 08:43 PM   #4
PPBart

I see that neither of the first couple of responders so far seems to have actually read the original post, nor actually answered his question. He's looking for recommendations for a safe, not platitudes about levels of security...

I readily admit I don't have any recommendations for the OP -- actually, I'd be interested in the same type of safe(!)
Old June 21, 2012, 09:03 PM   #5
danez71

I really dont know but maybe this will start giving you some ideas and maybe cut down your surfing time.

http://www.nationwidesafes.com/
Old June 21, 2012, 09:26 PM   #6
Skimp

There are thousands of safes out there. Unless one knows his security concerns it is difficult to give a recommendation. If one can post on this forum then they can locate a safe that fits their need.
Old June 21, 2012, 10:02 PM   #7
kilimanjaro

Do you have or will you have any long guns?

Either way, I'd just spring for a long-gun sized safe with minimal rifle rack and maximum shelves. You can put your papers, jewelry, etc., in there as well, and grow into it as time goes on.
Old June 22, 2012, 12:04 AM   #8
Hank15

Webleymkv, can you please point me to those safes?

I do have a few long guns, but I don't have the space for a safe of that size at the moment.
Old June 22, 2012, 08:14 AM   #9
a1abdj

Your best bet is to call a local safe company, and go down to take a look at what they have.

I can install a UL rated key lock on most of the safes I sell, but none of them will come from the factory that way. I usually suggest staying away from any lock with an over ride, as it is typically not UL rated, and many of these locks are very easy to bypass without leaving any evidence behind.

Did you have a budget in mind?
Old June 22, 2012, 10:33 PM   #10
solidheart

I normally recommend American Securities CSC series safes for customers looking for something smaller than gun safe height. These safes are made of 2 layers of 1/8th inch steel and between those two layers they have a concrete like composite fill. It is also equipped with a glass plate behind the mechanical lock. This glass plate is connected to a cable that ties it to the relocker making it sensitive to a drill or punch attack. There are 4 sizes. The models are csc1413, csc1913, csc3018 and csc4520 in order from smallest to largest. The largest csc4520 is large enough to accomodate long guns with a special interior. Here's a link to give you an idea of what they are http://www.thesafeplace.com/commercial-safes/
Old July 8, 2012, 08:44 AM   #11
WESHOOT2

beautiful day in MY neighborhood

I use an inexpensive (around $200--300) Sentry fire-proof safe.

Hard enough to open to deter the wankers.
Heavy enough to slow down at least a pair-needed wankers.
Can be bolted down.
Sufficient fire protection ('cause it'll either be enough, or nothing will be enough).

Mine has a combination dial....I think I paid about $200 in 1994.