The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 9, 2015, 11:12 AM   #1
papazip

Hornady One Shot

Having mixed results with this case lube. Any comments?
Old June 9, 2015, 11:19 AM   #2
schmellba99

I only use it as a lube on pistol cases. I tried it with rifle with poor results.

From what I understand, there are actually 2 different formulas - one is more of a cleaner that leaves a dry lube, the other is specifcally a lube. Double check to make sure you have the right one for your application.

For rifle cases, I'm still a fan of the Dillon case lube. I'm sure the RCBS stuff (and likely some others) is exactly the same - it just works. My stuck cases dropped to zero since going with it (and I'm not a Dillon homer either). Good stuff.

The Hornady One Shot is great for lubing things like the ram on the press, or for protection of your gun after cleaning, but it is a poor rifle case lube.
Old June 9, 2015, 11:53 AM   #3
wogpotter

Oi! This again.

The aerosol is OK. Not great, but OK. I usually spray thicker than with most spray lubes & the "wait 5 minutes" is a must.

The eco-green pump stuff is almost as good as coating your brass with sand & epoxy.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old June 9, 2015, 12:15 PM   #4
Bocefus78

If used as the directions state, I have no problems with the stuff. Specifically, use a loading block, spray inside and out of case, and wait 5 minutes after spraying.
If you skip anyone of those 3, you are gonna be taking dies out of your press and cutting brass off the decapping stem.
Old June 9, 2015, 01:04 PM   #5
condor bravo

Would suggest not using it, especially not for rifle cases. Too iffy and could end up with a stuck case. For rifle, use RCBS Case Lube -2 instead with a roll on pad.

Last edited by condor bravo; June 9, 2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old June 9, 2015, 01:13 PM   #6
cwall64

Good results for me on straight wall handgun rounds (all I have used it on to date). I normally use a gallon size freezer bag or larger depending on amount of cases prepping to go into the 650 hopper, spray the inside of the bag real good, drop the brass in, zip up, and roll/shake it up good - then let set while filling primer tubes. I dump the brass in the hopper and it is definitely a lot easier to deprime and resize than without using it...
Old June 9, 2015, 01:32 PM   #7
papazip

thanks for the thoughts, guys. Yep I used the right stuff. I swear the original product was more waxy. Dug out my very old lube pad and got reacquainted with shoulder dents.
Old June 9, 2015, 02:53 PM   #8
Jay24bal

I for one have had no issues with Hornady One Shot aerosol lube. I have used it for several thousand rifles cases (use carbide dies for handgun so do not lube handgun cases), and have never stuck a case.

I actually love the stuff. It works as it should, and it cleans off completely in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old June 9, 2015, 03:45 PM   #9
higgite

If all else fails, read the directions.
Old June 9, 2015, 04:14 PM   #10
CowTowner

Never had an issue with it myself.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old June 9, 2015, 04:29 PM   #11
Gster

I use the One Shot aresol lube on rifle cases and love it. I followed the directions and it works like a charm. A little goes a long ways. I've done probably 150 .243 cases and there's enough in the can to do that many again +
Old June 9, 2015, 04:31 PM   #12
wogpotter

Its not spray lubes in general.

I use & like the Dillon spray or the Frankford Arsenal stuff from Midway with no issues. For some reason the Hornady needs more than the others do.
I make my own now anyway so its a moot point for me, but even Hornady themselves don't think much of the pump stuff.

Old June 9, 2015, 04:36 PM   #13
Nick_C_S

One Shot case lube works fantastic for me.

But then, I only load straight walled pistol.
Old June 9, 2015, 05:55 PM   #14
KenL

I've used One Shot for years without issues. Cases in a loading block, spray, turn 180 degrees spray again, wait, then size/decap. Always works fine.
Old June 9, 2015, 08:25 PM   #15
jmr40

I've followed the directions and never had a problem. But when my supply is gone I think I'll look for something else. Seems like it might just be a matter of time before I do have a problem based on multiple threads about it.
Old June 10, 2015, 02:24 AM   #16
Tony C

Quote:
If all else fails, read the directions.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now that's a funny!
Old June 10, 2015, 06:55 AM   #17
oldmanFCSA

I used RCBS lube on a pad for years.
I've used Imperial sizing wax for 50BMG cases.
I got started with Dillon spray lube and liked it, but ....
Now I make my own using Lanolin oil, 99% alcohol, and mix them in proper ratio using heated oil.
No more dents, better consistency on re-sizing, easier cleanup.

Have a can of 1-shot, never used it. On shelf someplace ??????
Old June 10, 2015, 08:55 AM   #18
condor bravo

Follow up to my earlier post suggesting non-use of One-Shot:
The one time I tried One-Shot was with some '06 cases after completely running out of RCBS Case Lube-2. Actually worked OK and thought it would be good with other brass. Over 90% of my loading is with heavier belted mag cases but my first attempt with one almost ended up as a stuck case so that was the end of that. Immediately checked other sources and found additional Case Lube-2. So it could be that it works well with lighter cases but not others. Posters speaking positively of One-Shot do not seem to indicate what rifle brass calibers they use it with.
Old June 10, 2015, 09:37 AM   #19
skizzums

One shot is my least favorite of all the spray lubes. I had a x39 get stuck and it always gets stuck when forming 300blk. Have switched to Lyman spray and no issues whatsoever.
Old June 10, 2015, 09:54 AM   #20
AllenJ

I've been using RCBS lube with a lube pad since 1975ish and have had really good luck, no stuck cases. If you are getting shoulder dents you are using way to much lube. Put a few drops on the pad, work in with your finger, roll the cases lightly on the pad and you're ready.
Old June 10, 2015, 10:48 AM   #21
wogpotter

Quote:
Posters speaking positively of One-Shot do not seem to indicate what rifle brass calibers they use it with.
Good point.
.38 Spl/.357 Mag
Works just fine.

.303 Brit (full length)
Works ok, not spectacular but OK, never had a stuck case.

.308 Win (commercial)
Works most of the time but is on the edge for slickness. Noticeably more "graunchy" than Dillon, MIdway, or home brew.

7.62 Military
Very borderline. I had a case stick (yes I RTFI, it didn't help).

This again is the aerosol in the red can. The pump rubbish in the green bottle, irrecoverably welded a case into the die, even Hornady's hydraulic stuck case extractor tools couldn't remove it. They admitted it was the lube & replaced the die.

Old June 10, 2015, 11:56 AM   #22
KenL

Oops, my bad for not posting what I reload using One Shot. 300WSM, 308, 243. Full length sizing. Have not reloaded any 223 yet, but I anticipate no issues there. Pistol calibers I have carbide dies so I don't use lube on them.
Old June 10, 2015, 12:31 PM   #23
kostner

For rifle, use RCBS Case Lube -2 instead with a roll on pad. Not as expensive as One Shot and lasts for thousands of rounds. Lee makes a good case lube that has worked for me over the years.
Old June 10, 2015, 01:37 PM   #24
madmo44mag

Used it off and on and never had any complaints about it.
It works for me as advertised.
Old June 10, 2015, 02:02 PM   #25
4runnerman

Used it once that was enough for me- Anyone want a can?. full can minus maybe a 4 or 5 second burst.