The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 4, 2015, 06:15 PM   #1
cptmclark

sig 932 has nasty trigger

Before I send this back to Sig, I'd like to learn what I can about this little pistol. It looks and works like my 1911s, but the single action trigger is just aweful.

To have something to offer, I measured the takeup at .075 which would not be a problem exept that it is in two stages. Next the creep is about 0.060 and rough. The pull itself varies between 8.5 and 9.9 pounds. The amount of roughness seems to vary. After getting off a few well aimed shots my nerves are wasted. This alone makes it unacceptable for carry, even though I really like it otherwise.

Never having one of these apart, I'd be grateful if of you who have would tell me about this trigger and whether it's a good idea for me to attack the problem myself. Or I can send it back to Sig if I haven't messed with it, since it's new.

Many thanks.
Old January 4, 2015, 09:09 PM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

They may say that is normal for one new in the box. To get that down, stoning the sear and trigger, (trigger job), will most definitely do it. You should be able to get it down to 3-1/2 to 4 pounds.
Old January 5, 2015, 03:44 AM   #3
Scorch

First off, I have never seen a SIG 932. If you meant a SIG 938, then read on.

The SIG 938 is the 9mm version of the SIG 238 (.380). It has a slightly beefier frame and grip, and is not unpleasant to shoot. The triggers are awful, period. This is essentially the same pistol as the Colt 380 Government/Mustang/Pocketlite, which is itself a reiteration of the Iver Johnson Pony pistol of the late 1980s.

The sear is a piece of stamped sheetmetal, and if you cut it much at all the safety will not engage and you will end up with a new sear. The hammer is cast, and like many cast parts is relatively soft, and the hardened sear undercuts the hammer sear each time you fire it to form a groove, raising the trigger pull into the 10-12 lbs range within a few hundred rounds.

These are a pocket pistol, and not designed as a high-volume shooter. But since you already have a high trigger pull, you need to do something about it. SIG may help you out, but you will have the 9 lbs factory trigger when you get it back. Or you could take it to a skilled gunsmith and have them recut the sear angles and get the trigger pull down. We do these in my shop, about the best you can expect is 4.5-5 lbs trigger pull, but clean and creep-free.
Old January 5, 2015, 07:58 AM   #4
cptmclark

Yes, my bad. It's a 938.
Old January 6, 2015, 10:27 AM   #5
velocette

CPTMClark;
You have been given some good advice by Mr. Scorch.
He has been of great assistance to me in the past.

Roger
Old January 6, 2015, 10:48 AM   #6
cptmclark

Thank you for the replies. It sounds like I may have made a bad decision about the 938. After handling and shooting one a good bit I came away with the impression that it is a high quaity pistol. Mine has the rubber grips and came only with the extended magazine. A stamped sear seems to be a problem waiting to happen, and I don't want to have a carry pistol that's going to be wearing quickly in the fire control group. Impression in shooting and carrying is that it's surprisingly accurate and easy to shoot well, for such a small pistol. Even with the terrible trigger if I have time to concentrate. No such luxury in a combat situation of course so the trigger would have to be fixed. I'm comparing it to P9 and P11 which can be made very reliable light and small pistol for cheap, and I can't hit anything with them beyond bedroom distances shooting quickly off hand. Not so with the 938. If shots are slow and deliberate it's comparable to my mid sized 1911, which is pretty good. I suspect that with a good trigger it would be very useable in rapid fire as well.

Perhaps I need to move this on and consider another light weight carry pistol. The 1911 I find I don't carry all the time where a small one I can. Small plus accurate and easy to shoot (trigger not withstanding) is a goal I don't know that I can achieve. I love my old Colt 32 (1910 I think) except that it is a 32.
Old January 6, 2015, 12:22 PM   #7
fiveninestexas

Last year I thought I *had* to have a Sig and I also wanted a 1911. My solution? A full-sized Sig (aptly named) Nightmare. I ordered one after a lot of reading, etc. It arrived with one of the grittiest triggers I have ever felt, especially for a non-cheapo "1911". Many hours of disassembly, stoning, reassembly (wash, rinse & repeat) later, the trigger is acceptable. I could probably get it down to *really nice* and may do it one of these days when I don't have another project gun in the works. But it shoots great and hasn't hiccuped yet while being fired.
Old January 6, 2015, 12:59 PM   #8
jimbob86

When these came out, I wanted one .... then I was invited to dry fire one ....

9lb trigger? Meh .....

Nope.