The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 21, 2012, 02:55 PM   #1
jasmith85

Older Ithaca SXS questions

I'm looking into buying an older Ithaca 12 gauge side by side and was hoping someone here could give me some info on it. The s/n is 234993 which from what I have found makes it a Flues or NIG model and it was produced in 1913. My first question is, with this gun being almost 100 years old will it be safe to use current shells in? I don't plan on constantly using high powered loads but would like to know it can handle whatever 12 gauge shells I happen to have at the time. My intention for this gun is to have it cut down to 18.5" and have it as a homemade coach gun. I'll hire a gunsmith to cut down the barrel but if the stock is too long would I have to hire someone to customize it or is that something I could buy aftermarket? My last question is what should I give for this gun? It is in good shape aside from a little damage to the stock and some surface rust around the break open lever. The guy wants $180 for it.
Old May 21, 2012, 03:17 PM   #2
PetahW

NIG's were much older than 1913 - that gun is a Flues Model, noted for it's light weight compared to the competition and previous & later Ithaca Models.

However, the reason Flues Models are lighter is exactly why it's not a good idea to fire ANY modern ammo in one, even so-called "low brass", "field" or "target" loads.

The Flues was designed with internal clearance cuts for it's cocking mechanism, that incidentally made it lighter, which was OK for the ammo of the time - pre 1925.

The cuts made the Flues unsuitable for the ammo made after 1925.

In 1925, the ammo companies significantly upgraded ALL their loads, causing Ithaca to discontinue the Flues in favor of the heavier/stronger NID in 1926.

IF the action is examined by a good double gunsmith as safe to fire at all, i.e. with no hinge and/or bbl & rib issues, then several companies today, like RST, PolyWad, Kent, & GameBore make appropriate low-powered ammo for these older/vintage guns.

Last edited by PetahW; May 21, 2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old May 21, 2012, 03:22 PM   #3
jasmith85

Thanks for the info. You saved me from buying a gun I would barely be able to get any use out of.
Old May 21, 2012, 08:01 PM   #4
oneounceload

Quote:
My intention for this gun is to have it cut down to 18.5" and have it as a homemade coach gun.
That would be a shame to do that no matter what
Old May 21, 2012, 09:40 PM   #5
darkgael

no cut

Quote:
That would be a shame to do that no matter what
+1 about that.

Pete