The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 3, 2010, 08:32 PM   #1
rog d

Ruger rotary magazines

A long time back, I posted concerning servicing Ruger magazines for my 77-22. I received much help, but didn't print it out. Now I am unable to retrieve the info. Can anybody help?
Rog D
Old December 4, 2010, 02:06 PM   #2
Scorch

Use an Allen wrench to loosen the screw through the magazine body. Tap the magazine body to loosen the rear plate. You will usually hear the spring unwind as the rear plate comes loose. Disassemble and clean the magazine. Lube with spray dry lube (I like PTFE lubes, but there are others). When reassembling, preload the magazine spring by about 1 turn. Tighten the screw but there is no need to crank on it.
Old December 4, 2010, 02:22 PM   #3
Pahoo

I routinely clean mine and others but not until I start to see a lot dirt, in the rotor. Some bulk ammo is very dirty. .....

Now, if you tighten the spring too tight, you could break it. Sound strange to me but have heard of folks that have broken their springs. If you get it too loose, you will have feeding problems. On disassembly, I have tried to count the number of turns provided by the factory and they wind them tight. Lately, I mostly go by feel and see what kind of pressure a fully loaded magazine gives me. I normally do not use any lube.

Be Safe !!!