The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 7, 2010, 11:21 PM   #1
Kraziken

Bird gun dillemma

Greetings,

So I have had a Belgium Auto5 in my collection for awhile, and I just recently added a Remington 870 Synthetic with the 7 round magazine. My dad mentioned something about going hunting later this year.

My problem is.

The Auto5 is not meant to shoot steel. In my brief searching, it seems the Japanese Auto 5 with the invector barrel can shoot steel.

The remington 870 is a 18" barrel with the magazine extension.

I've tried finding a replacement barrel for the Auto5, but the few sources seem they are out of stock. I suspect it is very difficult to find?

I know I can convert the 870, but it seems converting the bird gun to a tactical may be easier than taking a tactical 870 and converting to a bird gun. Besides the new barrel, what parts would I need?

Between the two, I think I prefer to find a solution for the Auto5, even if it is a bit pricier. Any suggestions, links, information would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 8, 2010, 12:47 AM   #2
the rifleer

just buy a new barrel for the 870 and you'll be set. then you can drop it in the mud and bang it up and not have a care in the world. even if you have a tacticool stock you can still hunt with it.
Old March 8, 2010, 11:37 PM   #3
sks

Do you have to shoot steel shot? Is this some place you are going that requires it or the type of hunting that requires it? Just curious.
Old March 8, 2010, 11:45 PM   #4
XD Gunner

Just get a barrel for the 870, I don't think there is a single easier to change barrel on any gun ever made. I took the barrel off my 870 on ACCIDENT. It's literally a 10 minute change, and 8 of those minutes will be you looking for tools.

All you should need is the barrel.

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton
Old March 10, 2010, 03:30 PM   #5
birdshot

that auto 5 will shoot the smaller steel pellets without a problem, if you need bigger shot look at the bismuth shot.