The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 2, 2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Sigma 40 Blaster

Surefire EP3 Sonic Defenders - anyone used these

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/...ssupandreg-sup

These plugs from Surefire look like they are comfortable and seem sufficient for use at an indoor or outdoor range. I was curious if anyone had any real experience with these good or bad as I couldn't find anything about them using the search feature of the forum.
Old September 2, 2008, 01:47 PM   #2
spacemanspiff

I have a couple pairs of these. One set I keep at the office for when the buildings fire alarm system gets tested (seems like thats a monthly occurrance). Another I keep in the truck for when I go to work at concerts. The third is in the range bag.

Yes, they are good enough for the range, both pistol and rifle, I would guestimate that they offer just a little less protection than the regular muffs. But they give enough protection that standing in front of the speaker stacks at concerts such as Megadeth, 36 Crazyfists, MxPx, and Elton John (yeah, i know, kind of out of place there) is comfortable on the hearing, no ringing in the ears after.

I have seen pricing on the EP3 range from $8 to $20, so maybe ordering them directly from Surefire is a good idea.

I must have really small ear canals, cause the mediums are really tight in my ears.
Old September 2, 2008, 02:22 PM   #3
Jermtheory

they work really well.

they seem to protect as much as any plug ive used,but they allow you to hear lower db sounds than regular plugs.after 10-15 minutes i sometimes forget im wearing them.

they work especially well underneath some electronic muffs that amplify sounds.double the protetcion,with excellent ability to hear ambient noise.

Last edited by Jermtheory; September 3, 2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old September 2, 2008, 10:54 PM   #4
Sigma 40 Blaster

Thanks guys. I got a set for 9.50 on EvilBay.

Looking forward to trying them out. I moved to plugs because it was too hard for me to shoot rifles with the big Wal-Mart muffs I bought. I'll give these things a try, worse case I'll just get some low profile muffs to go with 'em.
Old September 3, 2008, 11:15 AM   #5
halo2304

I bought a set at a local Cop shop and have been trying them out. They seem to work alright. I thing the little squishy foam plugs give a little more protection but you have to take them out to listen to other people talk.

I've been using them at work as well as the range. On the range they are pretty good. At work where the noise level is a constant level, they work fine, but not nearly as well as the foam plugs.
Old September 3, 2008, 11:36 AM   #6
Teufelhunden

I found the EP-3's to be more comfortable than the EP-4's. I've had half a dozen sets of EP-3's over the last year or so, and they're great. I got the EP-4's a couple of months ago since they're supposed to offer better sound attenuation, and they get uncomfortable faster. They do block sound a little better though.

-Teuf

"One hundred rounds do not constitute firepower. One hit contitutes firepower." -Gen. Merritt Edson, USMC
Old September 15, 2008, 08:16 AM   #7
ckd

Finally tried the EP3s at an outdoor range, and in the heat & humidity I was very comfortable, with adequate/good noise reduction; superior to any other ear plugs I've tried. Paid $10, it was a bargain, and fit in my pocket. Was told that most people are a medium size - spot on.

Scale of 1-10, ten being a top rating, it deserves a "10".