The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 19, 2008, 08:11 PM   #1
digger658

First 1000yd match

My first 1k yd match is in a month and I need some answers please. I'll be using my Rem700 in .308 for this one.

1) Need a good starting load for the 168 or 175 gr SMK. Which is better for 1k?

2) How would I practice at 100 yds?

3) If zeroed at 100 yds how many 1/4" clicks up to reach 1k yds?

4) My need a 15 or 20 MOA scope base, where can I get one on a budget?

Thanks for the help.
Old May 19, 2008, 09:24 PM   #2
Ken O

I can help on a couple of the items....for 1000 yards use the 175, do NOT use the 168. The 155s work fine also, but the 168s are very erradic at 1000.

I mostly shoot irons, but one thing you can do is use the Buris Z-rings for your scope and with the inserts you can pick up 20 m.

I never shoot my long range rifles under 600 yards, but I put 18 and a quarter minutes on going from 600 to a 1000. You could pick up a GI .308 "thermometer" target. It has a small bull, and lines on it where you you should hit for different yardages up to 1000. You shoot this target at 50 yards, and can set your sights for 1000 and be real close. Here is a link of what it looks like:
http://www.nationaltarget.com/cgi-bi...egory_Code=SST
Old June 18, 2008, 12:38 AM   #3
kraigwy

Thats correct, 168s will key hole on your, you need the 175s.

Assuming your loads will be running about 2600 fps. Using your 100 yard range, get a large piece of carbord for a target backing. Put one target at the bottom, using it for an aiming point. Then at 39 inches above the bottom target, put another target up. Aim at the bottom target and get your groups to impact at 39 inches. That will get you damn close. You'll get sighters at the match on target.

If after sighting at 100 yards, and you have at leat 45 min of elevaton on your scope, you're good to go, if not, bottom you scope and shim the rear base. You dont need fancy mulit minute expensive bases.

I shot 1000 yard matches for over 25 years using Weaver Two piece bases on my Win Model 70, 300 WM. These based made it easy to remove the scope and apply the iron sights going from Any Rifle-Any Sights to Any Rifle-Iron Sights. I have the same set up on my M-700 Across the course gun so I can scope it for FClass Matchs.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 22, 2008, 09:20 AM   #4
dardascastbullets

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

Digger,

I just came across your post regarding a 1000 yard load for the .308. I engineered this load:

RWS large rifle primer
46.0 gr. Varget
Lapua brass
190 gr. Sierra Match (I molycoated them)
Seated 0.002" off lands.
Necks were turned and reamed.
Bases were trued.
Primer pockets were squared.
This is a compressed load.

It's a very hot load and functioned flawlessly in my Remington action. I did scrap the brass after its first firing because about one out of 20 primers would fall out. Standard Deviation = 8 (20 rounds / Oehler chronograph). I cleaned several targets @ 1000 yards with it (and won several short & long range matches with it). My load was also a sure winnner at 600 yards - it couldn't be beat especially in high wind conditions.

I trust that this information will help you.

Matt

Last edited by dardascastbullets; July 22, 2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old July 30, 2008, 08:03 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

KEN... thanks for posting that link... I book marked that one...
Old July 30, 2008, 09:11 AM   #6
CPTMurdoc30

Quote:
I mostly shoot irons, but one thing you can do is use the Buris Z-rings for your scope and with the inserts you can pick up 20 m.
What inserts do you need to do that. Becuase they have a set of rings that would fit my bases? It would sure beat the heck out of paying a guy $300 to get a universal base and machine it to fit my rifle.
Old July 30, 2008, 09:20 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

Midway has 20 MOA bases for as little as $28.00 depending on model & action length...

http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe...gin+Search.y=9
Old August 3, 2008, 09:28 PM   #8
Ken O

CPT, they make rings for just about anything. The inserts come with them, you put a +10 in one and -10 in the other to get a 20 MOA difference. Its the Signature series. I have them on two of my long range gun scopes. They are real reapeatable going from irons to scope and back.

I have a Weaver base on one and a Picatinny on the other which are real simular.

Google up a "Burris Siganture Z ring" and see what comes up. Here is a pfd of the sheet from swfa. http://www.swfa.com/download/pdf/burris_mount_chart.pdf

They have different higth rings, I had to send one set back because they were too low and I couldn't get the bolt up to clear the scope. Maybe you could call Burris or SWFA and ask for some guidence for your particular need.