The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 4, 2007, 09:00 PM   #1
DNK

Barrel and Mag Clamp

I saw a clamp in the midway catalog that goes around the barrel and magazine in order to make them more stable. I've seen some threads here discuss how thin and weak the walls of shotgun barrels and magazines are. Does anyone have one of these clamps on their shotgun? Is this clamp worthwhile or a waste of money? It would be going on a Mossberg 500 with a 20" barrel and 7 shot mag.
Old May 4, 2007, 11:15 PM   #2
RsqVet

I have 2 remington shotguns that come from the factory with extended mags and the clamp.

I very much consider it essental, it seems to make the entire assemblage much stronger. If the clamp is made right it should do no damage to the mag or barrel... in fact you'd probibly strip the screw on the clamp before you would ever damage a barrel, mag tubes depending on the maker migth be a diffirent story but on a decent one as well you would be hard pressed to damage them with a clamp as well. Last time I looked in brownells under shot gun stuff they had 2 or maybe 3 diffirent makes of clamps, one of them should work for you or maybe even a Mossberg factory clamp?

Good luck
Old May 5, 2007, 02:19 PM   #3
liliysdad

There is no need for a clamp on a mossberg, due to the arrangement of the barrel band and mag band.
Old May 5, 2007, 09:22 PM   #4
Lee Lapin

You're OK with the Mossberg, since the barrel and magazine are supported at both ends when assembled. The magazine tube on your Mossberg is one piece, the weak point with extensions is the threads on the end of the magazine tube. Those definitely need reinforcement when extensions are installed.

hth,

lpl/nc